Have a dilemma Laos or Myanmar first?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have pushed my schedule up front as far as I can and my return to NYC as late as I can.

Lleave NYC on October 7th
arrive Singapore Oct 9th
Arrive Bangkok Oct 12
Meeting Oct 28 - Nov 4th ending in Chiang Rai
Return NYC Dec 7th

The program starts in Hua Hin with a golf tournament, Oct 26-28 Since I don't play golf it can be skipped .

My question is, I have 15 days before the meeting which country should I do first?
Which of the 2 is where I should spend the most time. I am not a hiker nor a hot house flower. Even if my inner self is young and agile, my body and mirror tells me I am neither.

I can fly out of Chiang Mai to either Yangon or Luang Prabang. Air Malaysia is starting service in August on Fridays and Sundays and there are flights to LP every day.

Then I will have a week or so exploring Bangkok at the end. Have also come to the conclusion that I protest too much, about not being a shopper. As I have been reading the travel reports, on Bangkok what have I copied? Carols shopping tips, Kathy's jeweler's name etc, am not even done yet. So I really want to leave Bangkok for the last part.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

What I meant to say which is perhaps not clear is that I have 32 days after the meeting to travel. Which if the 2 countries warrants the most time
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this.

The one advantage of going to Laos first is that you can take a boat from near Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang with an overnight stay along the way. Once you have completed your travels in Laos, you can fly to Bangkok (from either Vientiane or Luang Prabang) then onward to Rangoon.

Are you saying that Air Malaysia (Malaysian Air?) is now flying from Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang? I'm confused. Lao Air used to fly this route at least some days. And there used to be flights several days a week from Chiang Mai to Rangoon, but I thought those were discontinued. Anyway, I'd be interested in clarification of the flights.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Malaysian Ait a total mistype, had a very senior moment. Was toying with the idea of taking a few days in Penang after I read your trip report. I am a sucker for good food. Malaysia was on my mind.

Have made a decision. I will fly to Luang Prabang the same day that I arrive in Bangkok. My flight arrives at 10.10 and Bangkok Air leaves at 11.55 which should give me enough time.

Spend 16 days in Laos, return to Bangkok and end up in Chiang Rai on November 4th. Air Mandalay is supposed to start service on August 2 from Chiang May into Yangon which of course I will double check as time grows closer.

This is from a qoute on Thorn Tree:
Meanwhile, Air Mandalay is currently using an ATR-72 aircraft for domestic flight service and is purchasing a new engine from Canada for its ATR-42 aircraft, said a stakeholder in the domestic airline industry.
“After the new engine is installed, the aircraft will be delivered to Bangkok for proper maintenance before it is used to resume flights between Yangon and Chiang Mai on August 2,” he said.

This will give me 2 1/2 weeks in Burma IF I return to Bangkok to celebrate Thanksgiving with Panda and his entourage, otherwise I can stay longer.

Those are my plans as of now.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Well, I think you'd enjoy Penang. The hawker food was incredible!

Ok, the Air Mandalay flight makes sense. From Bangkok, there are flights on Thai Air and Bangkok Air to Rangoon. (There is also Myanmar Air which I wouldn't use as it's government owned.) If you are flying on Bangkok Air for three legs (as you'll be using it to/from Laos), you can qualify for a Discovery Pass. Read about it on their website.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Chiang Rai, it doesn't seem to make sense for me to return to Bangkok if I can fly out of Chiang Mai.
May be I'm wrong.