Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hasn't anyone been to Burma? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hasnt-anyone-been-to-burma-623653/)

albaaust Jun 14th, 2006 09:23 PM

Hasn't anyone been to Burma?

This is a bit of a whine!!? I have asked two questions re Burma and no-one has answered. Is it because a certain person was critical or is it that people don't know the answer?

KimJapan Jun 14th, 2006 10:43 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about someone being critical...the answer you got to your question about what to bring seemed like a fine non-critical answer to me. I'm really not sure if anyone knows the answer to your question about what to bring.

On the one hand, it's very nice and generous of you to bring things that you can give. On the other hand, I don't think it's a good precedent to set....that tourists come bearing gifts or handouts...know what I mean?

We like to travel with an instant camera and give photos to people we meet. We also try to buy local products from local people/locally owned shops.

Perhaps you could find some local organization that distributes goods to those who are needy, such as Ponheary Ly does in Siem Reap.

Your question about the boat...I'm guessing nobody knows that either. Don't take it personally. I've asked questions here before that get no answers...just the other day about the "Gibbon Experience" in Laos. No problem. If you want to try again, you can top your post, as sometimes they get lost onto the next page and just aren't seen by somebody who might know.

albaaust Jun 14th, 2006 10:53 PM

Hi KimJapan thanks for answering but I am now "freaked out" about a more serious matter- I am now confused about the FECs issue. On some sites they indicate that FECs was abolished but on others they say that independent travellers which we are have to still pay US$200 each in exchange for FECs- my problem is that it appears that FECs are not widely accepted and for us $US600 is A LOT OF MONEY to "throw away".

KimJapan Jun 14th, 2006 11:02 PM

My guess is that they are no longer required and some sites have not updated. But that's a guess, and it could be different for independent travellers and those on a tour. Best to check from some official source, but where I don't know because in checking the government's site it appears to have not been updated recently at all. Also, I read that you can exchange your FEC's for local currency at banks maybe if you have them?

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 02:01 AM

Just noticed there was a reply to the question about gifts-my reference to a person being critical was in relation to a much earlier post which has since had the "bits" deleted.

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 02:06 AM

BTW KimJapan thanks for not making me feel lonely...

Craig Jun 15th, 2006 02:17 AM

Of the "regulars" on this forum, there have been maybe 3 or 4 that have been to Myanmar - it is quite possible that that they have either not yet seen your posting or just don't know the answer. The FEC requirement has been discontinued, by the way. I am curious about your travel plans - where are you planning to travel in Myanmar, where are you staying and are you using an agency to arrange it all?

glorialf Jun 15th, 2006 03:01 AM

There are no more FECs. You convert your dollars into their regular currency.

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 03:53 AM

Are you sure there are no more Fecs for independent travellers? I only say this because the sites that I have looked at say that they are no longer needed for people doing package tours but independent travellers still have to pay.The only reason I am concerned is that I was hoping to pay for most accommodation and flights before we left. If we have to pay FECS maybe we use them for hotel or flights.

Just to let you know and have some comments about our itinerary and possible places we are staying at:

Day One: Yangon (using Jetstar Asia from Singapore arriving at 9.45am (cost for three return tickets S$700)
Hope to stay at Traders Hotel

Day Two: Fly to Mandalay(Sedona Hotel)spend two days here.

Day Four: Taxi to Pyin U Lwin (still coming to grips with this one-my mother born here ..I know it as Maymyo)
Have not worked out where to stay yet..could be where we use those FECs if we have to buy them.Anyway...two days possibly depending on whether we make contact with any living relatives.

Day Six:Taxi back to Mandalay. Visit surrounding places.

Day Seven:up early to catch the"ferry express" to Bagan. Still unsure about this one as I get sea sick but think this might be a highlight.Hopefully, get into Bagan for sunset.

Day Eight: Bagan staying at either Thiripyitsaya Sakura or Bagan Thande

Day Nine: Taxi to Inle lake stopping off at Mt Popa hopefully. Staying at probably Inle Lake View Resort.

Day Eleven: Fly back to Yangon-stay at Traders.

Day Thirteen : Singapore

What do you think? I am vacillating as we are only spending one day in Bagan itself although I count the 12 hour trip to Bagan as part of Bagan. Inle Lake is also fairly rushed but from what I have read it is not to be missed.

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 03:59 AM

Sorry Craig...I am hoping to arrange it all by myself although I have contacted Santa Maria for a quote. This is the site I noticed about FECs but I used the address from a posting on Fodors from some time ago and they have since updated without the info they had on the earlier website.

fuzzylogic Jun 15th, 2006 04:12 AM

Oh dear - I am stating the obvious (no surprise there). Why on earth are you even considering going to Burma when it's ruled by one of the nastiest juntas on earth?

But then maybe you found it acceptable to go to S Africa and Chile in times past. Or (doubtless) you are American and so quite possibly have no idea what is going on in Burma.

Tell me I'm wrong. I hope you can

BillT Jun 15th, 2006 04:38 AM

albaaust-This board tends to focus on a few Asian destinations and the regulars frequent these destinations. Given the situation in Burma its no great mystery why you don't get a lot of responses to you question. Don't feel bad- there are other Asian destinations that don't get much press here such as the Phillipines.
Its understanable why there is not much activity here for Burma- but that explanation does not hold for the Phillipines. We have been to the Phillipines over the last 2 years and there are many things to see and do and the US dollar goes a long long way there- so I remain puzzled why it does not get more attention on this board.
But as I have often said- this is more the Thailand board.

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 04:50 AM

Fuzzylogic...here we go again...haven't you got the message I am Australian like you!!! I also happen to have parents who were born in Burma and so part of this trip is to find out a bit about my heritage...will you please accept that some people will go and not necessarily support the regime.
PS You have been to Bali haven't you...guess what? I haven't!!

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 04:51 AM

KimJapan..see what I mean!!

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 04:57 AM

Fuzzylogic-hey! You are going to China??????????????

glorialf Jun 15th, 2006 05:11 AM

I have been to Burma twice and back home have actively supported both financially and through volunteer efforts, organizations attempting to get rid of Burma's current regime. I spent a long time thinking about whether I should go or not and after talking to Burmese living here as well as people at pro democracy groups decided I should. And I'm glad I did. The people I met thanked me for coming (and I don't mean the government spies). They understand that isolation has never helped any repressed people. Everyone has to make their own decisions. If I avoided countries that had repressive regimes I'd have to move out of the U.S. right now because much of what I hate about the Burmese regime we are beginning to do right here.

However, I understand people who don't go but I don't think we should condemn people who go and go for the right reason and with a full understanding.

Kathie Jun 15th, 2006 05:31 AM

FECs were abolished for all a number of years ago. If you are reading websites that say they are required, either the website has not been updated for years or else someone is setting you up for a scam. I have heard reports of naive travelers being sold "FECs" by a tout at the airport only to get into the city and discover they were abolished years ago and the pieces of paper they have are worthless.

As far as bringing things into the country to give away, that's a difficult issue many places. Generally, people on this board don't encourage people giving "gifts" to children as it encourages begging. But you might want to bring items as gifts for drivers (and their families, etc.

I think your itinerary is very rushed and that you'll have little chance to experience Burma. In SE Asia as a whole, one needs to slow down to experience the people and the culture. You'll spend most of your time moving from place to place.

Craig Jun 15th, 2006 05:46 AM

As you said albaaust, there he (fuzzy) goes again with his inane rants, ignorant generalizations and political stereotypes. Its probably better to ignore him. He obviously did not bother to read anything about you and why you are going.

Your itinerary does seem kind of rushed. We will be travelling about the same amount of time but have excluded Mandalay. I realize that you probably have to go through Mandalay to get to Pyin U Lwin. I would think that Santa Maria could save you some money on the hotels and possibly some trouble on the flights.

glorialf Jun 15th, 2006 05:46 AM

as for your itinerary -- it is rushed but the place I'd eliminate is where you might have family. One full day at Bagan was enough for me. Inle Lake was my absolute favorite part of the country. I would reduce your time in Mandalay and spend more time there if you can.

albaaust Jun 15th, 2006 06:00 AM

Thanks..I know, I know.. Pyin U Lwin seems boring...trouble is I don't know whether we are going to meet relatives there or not.That is why I have allocated two days there.

Other problem is that the boat takes twelve hours and we have to decide whether it is worth it. I would like to spend more time at Inle Lake. I have already changed our flights and incurred further charges so from getting a good deal it is not so much now.

The other factor is that I am hoping to pay for the flights and hotels before we get there using the net and the credit card.I think what we will probably end up doing is booking flight to Mandalay and flight from Inle lake to Yangon and being flexible in between.

hey guys I really appreciate being able to "talk" through this..it is so frustrating not being able to fully plan like we did when we went to Japan!!