Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used ctrip for int'l flights from U.S. to China & Korea?

Mar 24th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

I am planning my first trip from LA to China and Korea in June and have been discouraged by the high airfares I found so far. I would like to go LA-Beijing, take a sleeper train from Beiijing to Shanghai, then fly Shanghai-Seoul-LA. I have searched multiple wesbites (different airlines and travel agencies like. uschinatrip.com, flychina.com, etc.) travel booking sites (Orbitz, Kayak, etc.) and called airlines directly (Korean, Asiana and Air Canada) but so far, the best fare on a non-Chinese airline that I can find are about $1500 for round trip and $1300 for ONE-way (for someone who needs a one-way from Shanghai to Seoul to LA. (thist deal was calling Korean Air directly).

Thanks to the many helpful posts here, I learned about ctrip being a good place to book domestic China tickets. I have exchanged emails with ctrip and learned they can apparently also book flights from the US to China and from China to Korea. I am a bit wary about using them as I still don't know too much about them.

Has anyone used ctrip for int'l. flightsfrom the US, and if so,was it a good experience?. Also, if anyone has another suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM

I'd suggest calling the Chinese travel agents in San Francisco Chinatown or LA. I did the same thing you did (websites of the airlines and 3rd party booking sites).

They easily beat the webfares I researched. I had a 3-leg journey that Cathay Pacific's website quoted around $1500. I contacted 3 different agents and they were all $1050-1200.
Apr 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Random1 - thanks for replying. I take it that you didn't use ctrip but if so, is there any particular reason? I had heard that agents in Chinatown of major US cities have the best deals too but many don't speak English well. Can you recommend any agents in the LA area who speak English well? (could be Chinatown downtown LA or Monterey Park San Gabriel Valley area)
Apr 5th, 2010, 10:50 PM

I never thought of using Ctrip for airfares originating in the USA, so that's why I didn't use them. On a previous Asia trip in 2008, I used www.gatewaylax.com which is a Japanese travel agency based in LA. The one I contacted in SF is called Supertime Travel and they had agents that spoke English well enough (415-668-6166). I imagine they could set you up with fares originating from LAX, although I believe their best fares are on Cathay.
Apr 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate your quick repsonse. Will check out the agencies. Thanks!