Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown from Pattaya to Ko Samui on BKK Air's AT7?

Aug 24th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

I don't really want to go all the way back from Pattaya to BKK to catch a flight on Bangkok Air's 717, but I also am not too thrilled about taking an AT7 across the Gulf to Samui. Has anyone flown this route and what did you think about it?
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I have flown on both the ATR-42 and also the ATR-72 and I think they are great, no worries at all. The flight from Pattaya U-Tapao to Samui is scheduled at 1 hour but really it's up to cruise for a while and then descend.
Service is very good indeed and you will love Pattaya U-Tapao Airport, small, quiet, little cafe, easy boarding, and also you get superb views as the plane doesn't go 'too' high and if lucky nice views landing too, I have done 1 hr 30 mins also on the Phuket flight from Pattaya U-Tapao.
I can't think of any reason whatsoever to go to Bangkok.

What have you got against these lovely planes? Comfy 2 x 2 seating so every one aisle or window. remember anyway Bangkok Airways use these also on the BKK-Samui route so even if sheduled as a 717 you could be on an ATR, they could change deopending on passenger numbers.
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM

i have taken several flights on bkk air's ATR's...they are decently comfortable for a smaller plane...you fly quite low so there is lots to see...even though you will be over the sea as you leave pattaya and arrive at samui you are going much slower and can see very well...

its nothing to worry about...

bkk air does a great job....good idea not to go all the way back to bkk...
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'll book it. I have one other question which I posted before but it seems to have disappeared. On the Bangkok Airways website, the fares are shown in three categories, being 3 months, 6 months and 1 year. The website simply says the ticket is valid for that amount of time. Does this mean that if I buy the 6 month, for example, it is good for 6 months from when it is purchased or 6 months from the departure date in case a change in dates is needed. The reason I ask is because we are still over 6 months away from our trip (I like to plan early).
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM

i think someone answered that question for you by saying that that particular fare is offered for that period of time...at least that is my recolection....
they will not sell you a fare that is not appropriate for your trip...choose the cheapest one...
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I saw that one response, but never could find the post again to see what anyone else may have said.
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Tip...to find all of your posts (or anyone elses) click on your name.
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip Kim. I had done a search for my name and it didn't show that post, but I do see it with your method.
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM

richard...as you ahve learned searches are not always correct or accurate...wait a day and try it again or trick the system