Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to the Yamanouchi guest house in Yamanakako by Mt. Fuji?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have been perusing the website to see what kind of deals are to be had for the Hakone area. It is a very expensive area and most of the hotels mentioned on this blog have been booked. I did find a simple guest house on the Yamanaka Lake, which serves breakfast and I think will serve our needs. We will have to be adept at speaking with our hands since our Japanese skill are nonexistent!
I was wondering how transportation is in that area. We are a family of 4, all adults , and will be taking the trains and other public transportation. We will be there 12/30-12/31, so I don't know if there is a reduced bus schedule due to the upcoming holiday.
Questions for the blog:
How do we get there?
Any recommendations about what to do there?
Thanks!
Evelyn
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM

Another nice place that won't break the bank is this Japanese style hotel about 1/2 block from the Hakone-Yumoto station (Odakyu Line):

http://www.suimeisou.com/english/index.htm

We stayed here maybe three years ago. The outside of the building is very forgettable, but the rooms are clean, comfortable and overlook the river. The food is good and it is very convenient to the trains and Hakone circuit. I don't think they get a lot of foreign guests, but I don't think you'll have any issues with the language.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for tossing out this option for me. I had checked there already and just got the word that they were full.
I had also checked the Hakone Senkei + the annex Yamagasan, alsovthe Tonosawa Quatre Saisons . When I read the reviews they were fair to middling' with many comment how expensive it was for what you got ,although most folks raved about the food. To spent 500$-1350 a night and not get a lovely place seemed like too much.
If anyone else has any ideas,or has stayed at this guest house and has some thoughts about it, I would be grateful.
Evelyn
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 05:22 PM

I just noticed your dates. Agoda.com shows absolutely NO availability in Hakone, so I'd lock in the guesthouse now!
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi icuy. The Hakone pickings were slim ,outdated and expensive (gone now, I guess), and the guest house seems quite remote with nothing to do in the area without a car. Plus we were concerned there might be some difficulty getting back to Tokyo in a timely manner on the Shinkansen due to the holiday. For this reason, we currently have plans to go from Koya-san straight to Tokyo on 12/30. If we have the time, we may consider a day trip. I also understand there are some places you can see it from Tokyo on a clear day, so that might be the extent of our viewing for this trip.
Starting to relax; all the lodgings are booked and now I can read more in depth about the various cities.
Evelyn