Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to hot springs in Vietnam?

Sep 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

We are hot spring fanatics and would love to visit hot springs in the south and the north as well. At this point we have decided on Saigon, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi and Sapa. I managed to find some info on Binh Chau hot spring which is three hours from Saigon. We want to stay overnight and make the most of it if possible. There is a resort/hotel there but I found no review and the pix on the website look outdated. If there is a local person out here, maybe you can shade some light on this.

More questions: how is the hot spring in Sapa? Is there any facility to change and store our clothes?

What about the Song Ba hot spring in Hue?

I have the Lonely Planet's S.E. Asia guidebook but there is practically nothing there. I appreciate any info.

Thanks in advance
Sep 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Now you know why LP's 'guides' are useless.

There are hot springs all over VietNam, particularly in the north. Many are in remote locations and poorly equipped and maintained such as the one outside Son La on the road to Dien Bien Phu. Good for a rest, though.

According to government geological surveys, there are some 169 streams or springs of hot mineral water in VietNam, a few hot enough to generate electricity.
---
You know about: < http://saigonbinhchauecoresort.com/about_general.htm >.
---
There is another at Thap Ba, Nha Trang. Thap Ba Hot Spring Centre located on 25 block, Ngoc Son Hamlet, Ngoc Hiep Ward, Nha Trang City.

It offers hot springs and hot mud - seemingly good for your skin. They also have a swimming pool (warm).
---
Ba Ho Spring is located 25 kilometres north of Nha Trang, in Ninh Hoa District, Khanh Hoa Province. The spring has its source on the peak of the Hon Son Mountain, at an altitude of 660 metres. You'll need a taxi.

The spring flows from the mountain to the sea. The water flows through three lakes: Ho Nhat, Ho Nhi, Ho Ba. Not hot but natural mineral water.
---
Lac Sanh hot spring, in Son Thanh commune, Phu Yen Province. Very basic has benches. Building needs work.
---
In the outskirts of Hue there is a 'spa' that has several pools with natural warm water. Some pools are hotter than others. Also a bar that serves drinks and food. Your hotel can help - or a taxi driver. Most of the visitors are Vietnamese but foreigners are welcome.
---
Bang Mineral Hot Spring is located 60 kilometres south of Dong Hoi City, in Kim Thuy Commune, Le Thuy District, Quang Binh Province.

It is reputed to be the only hot water source in VietNam with an on-spot temperature of 105C. bring a lobster to cook.
---
Kim Boi (Golden Cup) is an off the beaten track for travelers, a secret known to the local people who are mainly Muong and Thai hill tribe people. The specialty of Kim Boi is a hot spring stream which is the source of a brand name of mineral water. Kim Boi is 30 kilometres from Hoa Binh Town, in the province of the same name.

This spring has a pool and is in good condition. They even run tours out here now.
---
Ma Li Thang, Lai Châu Province. Use a taxi to get to Lan Anh Hotel (60 rooms). Three kilometers southeast of the Lan Anh Hotel are the hot springs (free).
---
There are many, many more including one where the locals bath naked (no, it's generally agreed this remains a VN secret).

In the smaller locations presume minimal facilities - bring your own stuff (women can buy a pajama suit). If you need more info - repost. If I list any more K. will start complaining.
Sep 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much BuonMeThuot. You are an asset to this forum.

Some of the places you mentioned even Google and Ming can't find it.

It seems that Binh Chau is the only one I can find pictures on. While Binh Chau resort is too big of an establisnment with facilities that i don't care for, i can stick with the hotspring and the mudbath and I do appreciate having a place to stay overnite. Do you hear good things about the resort and the restaurant?

Do I contact the website directly? We will need transportation from them.

You said Bang Mineral Hot Spring 'is reputed to be the only hot water source in VietNam'. I thought all water coming out of all hot springs are hot water. Do you mean only Bang Mineral has the hottest water? Dipping into a cold water hole may not be my idea of relaxation even on a hot day. I just don't like cold anything.

Do you know anything about the Hoi van hot spring around Qui nhon? My LP published in 1999 said it's famous. Yes, i have been meaning to visit your country since ten years ago.

This may sound like the strangest question in the world: Do the hot springs for locals come with any facilities such as a changing room, a shower and maybe a locker? do I bring my own towels?

I would think the editors here welcome insider's info as much as I do. I say the more the better.

I'll be posting more questions on Vietnam. Please look out for them.

Thanks a million.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great info . Thanks Rick.
Sep 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Mohan:
Sorry I am slow in answering, I was up in the northwest for 10 days.

Some springs are part of a tour or a spa stay; others a drop in (Nha Trang), Many are simply village communal steam houses/shacks - typically the type found outside Son La.

Bang Mineral Hot Spring has the HOTTEST water at 105C (I type this on a smartfone).

The small 'local' hot baths have no or minimal facilities so you have to bring everything.

rickdubbeldam:
This why you don't know of it.

It's like Sa Pa - if hoards of tourists showed up to ogle minimally dressed females it would change the atmosphere of the place. BTW, did you know there's a town over the north VN border, in China, where the women pick guys they want to sleep with that night?