Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Chalermkrung Royal theatre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM
redtop

This theatre is supposed to show stories on traditional khon. It has lazer graphics and a great audio system. Has anyone been there and is it worth going to see? I love to watch cultural shows, but I admit I haven't gone to see anything like this type of theatre. I'd also like to know where it is located. Thanks

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this the show which is called siam niramit show?? if so i understand that it is very good indeed
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Redtop, I attended a Khon there in January, part of a specially commissioned season in honor of the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee. I had read about it in the Thai Airway flight magazine on my way to Bangkok, and they recommended it very highly, as the performers are among the most celebrated in the land. Apparently the season for this show has been extended through 2006, so I would definitely encourage you and anyone else to go see it if you have the chance. The costumes and staging are magnificent. I wrote a little more about it in a couple of recent posts. Here is a picture I took at the Khon performance at Sala Chalermkrung Theatre:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...amp;p=73623045

The theatre is located on Charoenkrung Road, in fromt of the Old Siam Plaza (wonderful "local", not tourist, shopping complex) and an easy walk to the Little India community (Indian food and fabrics galore!)

You can read more about the theatre on their own web site:
http://www.salachalermkrung.com/en/index/php
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
CFW

Tanuki, Great photos. What camera did you use?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Thank you, CFW. All of the pictures were taken with a Canon Rebel film (not digital)camera, with a 70-200mm zoom lens. I would also recommend having a shorter lens on hand for vista shots, but couldn't find mine when I was getting ready to leave for my trip!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I saw a Khon once in the mid-1980s and it was one of the most horrible experiences in my life. There was a commentator in traditional costume standing at one side of the stage and he was telling the story into a microphone. He was so loud, just shouting his head off into this mike that was turned way up. After an hour I had a splitting headache, I felt like jumping on the stage and throttling that man. The whole show lasted about 2-3 hours and when I got out of there I was shattered with a throbbing headache. I remember I walked into the nearest bar and got drunk.