Harvey's vs. D'Sens restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on eating French & international fusion food every night we are in BKK (I'm allergic to chili pepper-- no lectures please).

I just got the prix fixe dinner menu from D'Sens & am disappointed at the choices offered by their NEW French chef. It's 1900 BHT pp for a 5 course meal, which is fine, but we were hoping on a more exciting selection of entrees (two red meat) & starters (two white fish).

Have any of Fodorites eaten at Harvey's? Is it worth the price?

I've read a so-so review in the Bangkok Post... but good ones on restaurant websites.

My husband loves fois gras (Harvey's serves it -- as does Aubergine where we are eating another night). I was disappointed to see that the new D'Sens menu doesn't offer any fois gras on their prix fixe dinner menu... and IMO repetitive choices.

So, we're thinking of forgoing D'Sens (and the view) & eating Harvey's instead.

Opinions?

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM

I like Harvey's but be advise that they are expensive. Very good wine list there but again at a high price.

You can find foie gras at most international restaurant in Bangkok but for a good plate of foie gras count on at least 6 - 900 Baht. So if the D'Sens does not include that in their prix fix menu then you can always order it for extra. Don't forget to buy or bring a nice bottle of wine from outside of Thailand(or the arrival duty free) and you can pay corkage charge.

For a good foie gras fix try eating brunch at one of the top hotels like the Four Seasons(Madison restaurant) where for Baht 2,500++ you can eat all the foie gras you want plus free flowing champagne, wine, martinis!

http://www.fourseasons.com/bangkok/menu_2121.html
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM

even the marriott sunday brunch has FG....
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Other French restaurants are

Les Nympheas in the Imperial Queens Park Hotel on Sol 22 Sukhumvit is in my iopinion one of the best french restaurants in Bangkok and at a reasonable cost. Around 1600 baht per person for a 3 course meal without drinks. The truffle soup here is excellent.

Le Banyan, Soi 8 Sukhumvit is rather expensive but has a romantic atmosphere and the food is quite good. The restaurant is housed in a beautifully restored traditional Thai teak house with lovely grounds. Around 3800 baht for two

For cheaper ones under 2500 baht for two try
A L’etageon on Soi 39 Sukhumvit
Le Bistingo off silom Rd
Le Bouchon on Patpong Soi 2

If you like crepes try Crepes and Co on Soi 12 Sukhumvit Rd.

For cajun/creole dishes, barbeque baby back ribs (the best in town), chicken char grilled Steaks and beef brisket, the Bourbon St. Restaurant & Bar is the place.
Located in Washington Square off Soi 22, Sukhumvit Rd,
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Truffle soup? Yum. I'm taking notes, Scotters!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman,
When you say Harvey's HOW expensive is 'expensive'? IMO Cyan is expensive, is Harvey's comparable to Cyan or closer to Jester's in price

How is the food? We want great food. I don't drink wine, my husband does... when we do th prix fixe dinner @ D'Sens he's going to do the glass of wine w/ each course. It's a bloody fortune, but it's his money, not mine! LOL!

Also is Harvey's accessible (as in no stairs)?

We were going to have French dinner at Aubergine which is very reasonable & supposedly very romantic, but it's in a former Thai house & even the downstairs part has about 6 steps w/ NO hand railings! I can't climb stairs w/o a hand rail.

A lot of people think D'Sens is expensive. IMO a 5 course French dinner for 1900 BHT prix fixe is cheap compared to what this would cost us in L.A.

We are staying at the Pen w/ breakfast included every day, so forget brunch anywhere else.

Scotters,

I will check out Les Nympheas, you are the first person to mention it... although the Bangkok online restaurant guides do not mention it. I assume if it's in a hotel, it's accessible.

As far as Le Banyan, if it's in an old Thai teak house, it may involve a lot of stairs... I can't do upstairs restrooms.

Have you eaten at Aubergine? I've read a lot of good reviews.

LOL! I don't consider crepes do be French food, ditto for Creole & Cajun... besides I'm allergic to chili spice & there are many Creoles living in L.A. who have restaurants... we're trying to eat what we can't afford to eat in in L.A.; highend French food prepared really well, by real French chefs!

I'm curious if any of you have eaten at Augergine or Harvey's or even D'Sens.

The problem with D'Sens is, the new French chef seems to have eliminated the 'SET FRENCH DINNER' which was 1600 BHT pp. They now offer only the PRIX FIXE DINNER, which is 2900 BHT pp, and they require the whole table to order it.

I can't possibly eat a 5 course dinner, so I wanted to either order the 4 course SET FRENCH or a la carte, but they don't allow it... according to the menu that they emailed me.

It's not like we can take a doggy bag back to our room at the Pen! *G*

That is why we are looking for alternatives like Aubergine (but the entrance is a problem) who are very nice in the emails, Harvey's & we will definitely eat one night at Lord Jim's.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Scotters,

Would you kindly read my Oriental's Lord Jim's ACCESS post & let me know if there is an accessible route from the river taxi into the Oriental... I can't do stairs w/ no handrails.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM

We ate at Harvey's a couple of weeks ago and I remember that my appetizer cost around 900 Baht and the main course(steak) cost around 2,000 Baht. I would say it's almost in the same price range as Jester's and Cyan.

You will not have any trouble getting a window table at D'Sens. I've never seen D'Sens with more than 50% full for dinner and if there are that many people there I would eat some where else as the food will be very slow!

The Oriental Pier - the ramp at the Oriental bobs up and down if there are waves and then a couple of stairs before you walk pass to the BBQ area and then you will have to walk up some more stairs to get into the hotel. The Oriental staff are very good at helping people with walking difficulties.

Scotters, truffle soup? Do yo mean truffle infused soup?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman,

Did you LIKE the food at Harvey's?

D'Sens is for the view & we may not get the 2900 BHT prix fixe dinner as all the great appetizers (uni-sea urchin w/ crab & caviar, fois gras on peaches, tuna belly w/ truffle oil, & salmon served 3 ways) & the great desserts (Fig Symphony, A Trio of Grapes--white/red/black all used differently, & the Epicurean Chocolate) are also not on the prix fixe... so we may just go & order 4 appetizers & 3 desserts & forgo the entrees--which are rather pedestrian. I added it up & this would cost us about 200 BHT more, but we'd be eating what intrigues us.

I was amazed that the starters on the prix fixe menu are two white fishes (at least one of which is imported) & the two entrees are lamb or duck... so we may forgo the prix fixe menu.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM

I've only eaten at Harvey's a few times and the food there is good but I wouldn't say that it's my favourite restaurant.

No matter where you eat I think you'll enjoy the food in Bangkok.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I finally got the French Set dinner menu from D'Sens it's 1600 bht pp, with fish or duck as the entree, choice of appetizer, a soup, a set dessert w/ coffee or tea & of course an amuse bouche

The prix fixe D'Sens Dinner menu is 2900 bht pp w/ more courses & more choices.

We have a window table reserved here, Jester's & Lord Jim's... and an indoor for Aubergine/downstairs/non-smoking... their prices are very cheap compared to the other three. My husband loves fois gras & Aubergine seems to do it well.