Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hartford, CT to Delhi, India via Bangkok, Thailand - questions about lost luggage, TSA locks

Hartford, CT to Delhi, India via Bangkok, Thailand - questions about lost luggage, TSA locks

Dec 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Seeing as how the airline board is a little slow these days, I will repost here:

Because we are using miles to upgrade to Business Class, we are flying the LONG way to get to Delhi. Our routing takes us on United Airlines from Hartford to Chicago to Tokyo to Bangkok. In Bangkok we have a 3-1/4 hour layover before flying Air India to Delhi. We purchased our Air India Business Class tickets separately so our luggage will not be checked all the way to Delhi. So when we get to Bangkok, we will find out if our luggage made it or not. My question is - what if it doesn't make it? Will United forward it on to India if they find it? We have made the trip to Bangkok a couple of times with no problems but this time we are going in winter with the possibility of delays due to weather, etc.

Next question - TSA locks or ties? Which is best for this trip? Should we only be concerned about having locked luggage in the US or do they search you luggage elsewhere as well?

Please don't make this a debate on the routing - I have researched this ad nauseam and bottom line, it costs a lot more miles (which I don't have) to upgrade for the shorter routes on United's Star Alliance Partners Lufthansa or Air Canada.
Dec 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Just because you have two sets of tickets, it doesn't mean they won't check your bags all the way through. I've done it before with United. For peace of mind, call United and ask. (And even if, for some reason, they say no, ask again when you check in. I've never had anyone say no to this request.)

Since locked luggage has been outlawed in the US, I have not used either ties or TSA locks. I haven't lost anything out of my luggage. They may search luggage in other countries, so be aware of that. My traveling companion used a lock on one siutcase when flying from Hanoi to Bangkok. It was the only one of our four suitcases that were opened and search. The lock had been cut off.
Dec 12th, 2004, 12:52 AM

Craig-we just flew RT Bos-BKK-Bos on United. All of our bags made it without a problem. However, on the return from BKK, one of the newbies had her bags searched by hand before checking in.
Dec 12th, 2004, 04:12 AM

I just returned from a 4 country trip through Asia. I live in the US, and used the new TSA locks. We had no problems at all with any locks or luggage, and we flew on 5 different airlines on this trip.
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:26 AM

We are flying to Del. next month on Lufthansa and FWIW they recommend TSA locks.
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:58 AM
CFW

What are TSA locks?

Craig, We live in Cheshire, CT, not that far from Hartford. Where do you live? We're going to Thailand, using Delta frequent flyer miles for business class on its partner KAL (with brief stop in Seoul) from JFK. Delta & its partners do not allow us to use miles to upgrade, only to purchase the ticket itself. We had enough miles for one business class ticket and paid regular fare for the other. Already saving up those miles for our next trip! Have a fabulous time in India.
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

CFW - we live in Avon, about 10 miles west of Hartford. Maybe on our next trip after India (which is tentatively Thailand/Angkor in February 2006) we will consider buying one business class ticket and using miles for the other. Since a business class ticket to India is $5000 it would not have been a good deal for us to go that way.

TSA = Transportation Security Administration
Dec 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM

TSA locks can be opened by the TSA w/o breaking them so your luggage can remain locked. The ones I have seen here have a combination and a special key entry that the TSA has keys for.
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
CFW

Thanks. I knew what TSA was, just didn't know what the locks were. Do you think having them on the luggage just attracts more attention to potential thieves. Good question for a separate post -- Do you lock your luggage in your hotel room when you travel?
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

CFW - I reread your post and now see that you were asking about TSA LOCKS, not TSA. Your 2nd post could be interpreted two ways but I assume you mean lock your luggage (not lock your room with the luggage in it). We tend to leave our luggage open in the hotel room - we always put valuables (camera, passport, money) in either the room safe or safe deposit box at reception. I don't think the TSA locks would attract attention to theives.
Dec 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Where can you get the TSA locks - I've checked a couple of stores - did not see them.
Dec 14th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Do a Google search with the words "TSA Locks" - you will come up with more sources than you know what to do with.
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Craig- I have a suggestion to cut down on your flight time. When the plane gets to BKK - get off and stay in BKK.
Dec 14th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

BillT - Very funny...I can tell India is not at the top of your list of must-see destinations. We look forward to doing Bangkok again in February 2006.
Dec 15th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Craig- you have a keen sense of the obvious. Wife does not like Indian food, and I have read/heard the horror stories too many times.
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Kathie...When was locked luggage outlawed? I have been using my same old Eagle Creek locks with no problem at all. I was just in Bangkok in August with the Eagle Creek locks on my luggage.I was in Europe, twice, with the same locks and no problems. I know that locks can be broken, if something suspicious is noticed by the TSA people, but I've never had this happen. There was a woman who was flying from L.A. to BK a little over a year ago and she reported that when she arrived to BK her suitcase garment bag was missing out of her suitcase. Theft can be a problem. More than a few people have reported problems. And as for people saying not to pack any valuables in checked luggage, well I find that silly to a point since all of one's belongings are valuable. In a few days I have to get all the way to Ghana and plan to take my 19-inch carry-on suitcase which I hope will be allowed on the plane. These days one never knows. Last year, on the way to Ghana, Lufthansa wanted to have me check in my very small carry-on bag...smaller than regulation size... because it wouldn't fit into their narrow rectangular-shaped templet... the temlet at the check-in area.My bag wasn't that shape so it was about like trying to put a circular peg into a rectangular shape.So, I explained my situation that I absolutely didn't want to take a chance on the airline losing my luggage and end up in Ghana with nothing, so they finally allowed me to take it on.Then of course I go to the gate and there are people there with pieces of luggage way bigger than my piece and baby strollers, etc. So, it's very frustrating...this whole luggage situation! Happy Travels!
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I have found TSA locks at luggage stores. No problem.
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:13 AM

You can order TSA approved luggage locks on line- go with those- then if they want to open your luggage they can and re-lock it.
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Guenmai...it's not that they've been outlawed, it's just that if TSA wants to look into your luggage (for whatever reason) they'll break your locks. I've never bothered to lock my suitcases. The locks they come with are so flimsy it takes only a few secs to open them with a pair of pliers - or you can just slit the sides.
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Guenmai, since 9/11, the US has told people not to lock their luggage when flying. They warn that if your luggage is locked, they may break the locks to open it. Indeed, for a while, we had to take our luggage to an area, where all was opened (while you were there). I encountered this in every airport I flew out of, all across the US. Then they went to a one type of scan, and now most airports are using a differen type of scan. Still, they warn you that if you have locked luggage, they may have to break the lock to open it.

They don't need anything "suspicious" to decide to open your luggage. For a while the scanners couldn't cope with books, so if you had any books in your luggage, they had to open it to see what else was there.

The TSA locks will allow them to open your luggage without breaking the locks, and relock you luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO