Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Handmade Hill Tribe Type Silver in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Bangkok, would anyone know of a place to purchase Handmade Hill Tribe type silver bracelets or bangles?

Stuff like this:
http://chari-designs.com/HillTribeSilver.aspx

Chatuchak had some spread about last year and we're guessing there will be some at the night market, but any other suggestions?

Too lazy to take the flight up to Chiang Mai this year.

Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM

Along Charoen Krung, in the area of the Oriental Hotel, there are some silver shops. You might find something there.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM

So far as I know, all of the silver shops near the Oriental have all new merchandise, no hill tribe silver.

I'm sure there are places to find hilltribe silver in Bangkok. You might need to ask at some of the high-end crafts places such as on one floor of Siam Paragon.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 06:08 AM

golden triangle shop in paragon has had some on display...

around the oriental we have only seen inexpensive poorly made silver items that seem to be massed produced...

treasurers and pleasurers book lists the thai tribal crafts at 208 bumrung rd tel: 241-043 and hilltribe promotion ctr on suthep rd as purveyors of hilltribe merchandise....they might have some
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM

I guess Charoen Krung is a pass. I've only just driven by. Never shopped for silver.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Bob, those addresses are in CHIANG MAI, not Bangkok!

Naraiphand, the state-run craft shop in the Intercontinental hotel building, carries some hill-tribe type silver. You may also find some small shops in Amarin Plaza across from the Intercontinental.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM

sorry, that may be correct michael... thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM

I think an important distinction here is whether or not you want antique silver or modern day pieces. I'd be interested in learning of sources for the old pieces, since I collect tribal silver. I suspect that the "craft" shops will have the newer things and the good old items may be more in antique shops....would love to hear the real scoop on this..

One of my favorite cuffs is a Thai hilltribe piece--purchased 30 years ago-- in Amsterdam!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM

You have a very good point eks, most of the "hill tribe silver" sold in the shops - or even by the old ladies in black - are modern factory made stuff. The buttons, broaches and earrings are I'm sure just stamped out. I haven't been to River City in a while (and they just remodeled) so there might be something there.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Yes, antique pieces are much harder to come by. It used to be that you could find old pieces in the night market in CM (some 25 years ago). Now anything you find there is unlikely to be silver, let alone antique. Some high end places in Bangkok, like the Golden Triangle mentioned by Bob above and some places in River City should have antique pieces. I found an Akha woman who had a shop in CM who had some lovely antique pieces. But most of the stuff sold as antique should be labeled "antique."
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:20 AM

what about some place like the amulet market...might you find this type of thing there??
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM

No.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Not even close.

This is a decent NEW example of the type of silver that I mentioned above. It lacks the intricacy of the antique designs, but is obviously of a higher quality than most of the market stuff available today, or at least what I've seen:

http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/index.cfm?pid=103698

This looks to be of good quality:

http://www.samayalingvintage.com/ind...be-cuff-bangle
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM

The section of Chatuchak most likely to have such items would be the area adjacent to the MRT exit, to the north. There should be some scattered through there. Also, many of the vendors have actual stores, elsewhere. You might get some leads.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:25 AM

Went to Chatuchak today on a domestic mission, and noticed that in the section across the drive from the area Curt (correctly) describes there are a lot of shops selling silver and other jewelry. Most of it is junk - rocks on a rope crap - but there are a few stalls selling some really nice stuff. One - enclosed, air conditioned - has some very distinctive stuff on display. Contemporary designs using old style decoration. I also saw some stalls selling 'old' silver, but at least some seemed to have too much of the same thing for it to be really antique. Bottom line is, it seems like Chatuchak might be worth a look.

In other Chatuchak news, in the "why didn't they think of this sooner" department, I see Swensens is about to open in the lower floor of JJ Mall. The perfect way to cool off! Should be open later this week, just in time for the Mother's Day weekend.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 01:29 AM

You might try the lobby of the Times Square Building on Sukhumvit, right off the skytrain. They have a lot of small vendors selling great stuff. Or, try The Silom Complex, also right off the skytrain. There is a woman there who has a booth at Chatuchak market who also has a store on one of the upper floors. (I see her quite often but can't remember her name or location..my feet go automatically) She travels quite a bit and carries stuff from hilltribes.