Hampi and South India -suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our trip 1 mo in Dec. What is the best way to get to Hampi? (sounds like it is better from Bangalore)- So far the rough plan is: Mumbai, Goa, Hampi, Bangalore, Mysore (and sites nearby), Ooty, Cochin, back water.....but also want to do Chenai, Mamalaparum,Pondicherry,Trichy, Madurai. Do we have enough time? We can fly to some cities and probably have a car/drive for part of the trip. Which direction should we go to be most efficient? Any suggestions are very welcomed! Will the weather be dry in Tamil Nadu at the end of Dec?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Hi,

great places that you are planning to visit - HAMPI is simply mind boggling - an d I suggest a minimum of 2 to 3 days to explore it leisurely..and seep in the delights...

Your order of visits can be as follows -
Bombay - Take the flight to Goa - than either drive straight to Badami or stop overnight at Dandeli Sanctuary on the Kali river.....See Badami - its spectacular caves and the Temples at AIHOLE & PATTADAKAL... from Badami drive to Hospet (to visit Hampi one has to stay at Hospet - best hotel here is Malligi)..

From Hampi it is a long drive to Bangalore..However I suggest you first travel to Hassan or Chikmagalur and visit the fabuolous BELUR & HALEBID TEMPLES, and than to Coorg - to see the beautiful Tea / Coffee Plantations and also to visit the largest Buddhist settlement in India called BYLAKUPE...

from Coorg you can proceed to Mysore and than to Ooty and Cochin.....

If you wish to travel further than it is can be as follows -

Cochin to Kumarakom (option of taking the overnight Houseboat stay on the backwaters)...than to Periyar and onwards to Madurai....In Madurai you shall have to spend two nights if you also wish to visit Rameshwaram...

From Madurai it is a short drive to Trichy where you stay for a night visiting all temples and than next day to Tanjore.....

from Tanjore you shall have to move towards Pondicherry visiting the famous temples like Gangaikondacholapuram etc....

from Pondicherry you should go to Mahabalipuram and from Mahabalipuram to Chennai visiting Kanchipuarm enroute...

From Cehanni you can take your International connection ...

--------
Quite complicated ?? Let me know if you need any help to organise this....

shall be glad to help....

ASHAMS
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Too much I suspect.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Ashams - your information was very helpful! Thanks. You have suggested a few places that I was not aware of and also thanks for suggesting the longer durations in some areas. I am still mapping it out - I may need to leave some areas out but I hope to fit it all in. (maybe leave out Bangalore and Ooty and do Munnar instead)Any suggestions for ayvedic retreat in Kerala?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Hi Heath,

I am glad you find the info I had mentioned useful.......

I have travelled extensively in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan - so everything I say is based on real experience and not just by reading books and listening to other peoples experiences..

You should follow the rotuing which I mentioned to enjoy the areas mentioned...

Bangalore and Ooty can be left out of the tour - without comprimising on the quality - since other areas like Coorg and than even Munnar will make up for not visiting Ooty....Bangalore anyway is a commercial city with no touristic interest ..so better to skip it , if you are short on time...

What you can do is that from Mysore you can make your way to the Bangalore airport direct to catch a flight to Cochin and than proceed with the next leg of your tour to Kumarakom etc....all the way to Madras or Chennai...

Ayurvedic Reosts are everywhere in Kerala, In Pallakad, Kumarakom, Trivandrum, Cochin etc etc .....

Most of the hotels in these areas have Ayurvedic Spa's and facilities for undertaking all sorts of treatments...so you do not actually need to look for a Spa ...there are Spa's in almost every hotel..some have big ones and some smaller ones....

--
How are you organising your trip ?? On your own ?? or through a Tour Operator ?? Where are you from ???
What is your e-mail......

Let me know please - so that I can send you information more frequently...

All the best....

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM

ASHAMS,

You should tell people that you are a tour operator and that you have a vested interest in being here. What a goddam SHAM!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Furthermore, vpsingh and you seem to be on some kind of a timeshare arrangement here. When one appears the other goes away.