Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Half way through, can it get better! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/half-way-through-can-it-get-better-929785/)

aussiedreamer Mar 30th, 2012 11:30 PM

Half way through, can it get better!

We've just arrived in HCMC after four days in Siem Reap (never been SO hot) and a week on the Mekong, that I will remember my whole life. We've seen some amazing things and met the most awesome people. How will I ever condense this into a TR?

HCMC has surprised us all, what a lovely city, I could be in Paris!

Now off to find a laundry.

Ps. If restaurant researching for Siem Reap, don't miss Touich (what an experience) and Cuisine Wat Danmak, WOH!!!

crellston Mar 31st, 2012 01:06 AM

Looking forward to your eventual trip report aussiedreamer. I love HCMC - If you have the time check out the Saigon Saigon Bar at the Caravelle Hotel for sundowners - great views!

simpsonc510 Mar 31st, 2012 09:37 AM

Sounds like you are having a superb time. Good for you!! I'll look forward to your TR.

Smeagol Mar 31st, 2012 11:40 AM

I too loved Touich in SR, gals it's still great. Agree with Crellsston go to Saiigon Saigon, best rooftop bar in HCMC ( IMHO) have great time HCMC is a great city, are you go to Hanoi?

Smeagol Mar 31st, 2012 11:41 AM

Sorry about the dreadful typos above!!! That last bit should read, are you going to Hanoi?

lcuy Mar 31st, 2012 02:49 PM

Toich and Cuisine Wat Damnak...two of my favorite places anywhere!

yestravel Mar 31st, 2012 02:55 PM

I thought HCMC a fun and vibrant city -- enjoy the rest of your trip. And yes, great view esp at sunsets from the Saigon Saigon Bar

aussiedreamer Mar 31st, 2012 05:31 PM

Okay then drinks at sunset tonight at the Saigon Saigon bar, we are off to Xu for dinner. Yes we are heading to Hanoi next,then Sapa & Halong Bay.

Overcast and rainy here today, hasn't cooled it down any!!! Heading out to the tunnels.

Any thoughts on a laundry? I thought it was going to be easier to find, the hotel is toooo exensive $1.50 for one pair of underpants!!!!

sf7307 Mar 31st, 2012 07:46 PM

Too bad you're in HCMC - we had a great laundry in Siem Reap!

Kathie Mar 31st, 2012 08:44 PM

Ask the doorman - he will know a good laundry close by.

aussiedreamer Apr 1st, 2012 03:29 AM

Found it! If any wants to make a note, there are quite a few laundrys in Bui Vien st. 75cents a kilo!!

Typhoon in Saigon tonight!! Bit exciting ..... Lots of wind and rain. Won't stop us, we're off to Xu for dinner.

dgunbug Apr 1st, 2012 04:06 AM

Reading along. Glad you ate having such a good time and IMO - it does get even better!

yestravel Apr 1st, 2012 06:03 AM

How was Xu? We had a fabulous meal there.

HappyTrvlr Apr 1st, 2012 02:04 PM

We loved Xu too.

jgg Apr 1st, 2012 05:33 PM

I felt the same way after arriving in HCMC! Be sure and go to L'Usine (151 Dong Khoi) for lunch. Great atmosphere and fabulous "trendy" banh mi. The restaurant is actually upstairs so you have to walk through a little art place and walk upstairs. When you get to the address, just look up and you'll see the sign for L'Usine with an arrow saying it's upstairs.

aussiedreamer Apr 4th, 2012 01:14 AM

thanks jgg, we did go to L'Usine for lunch but unfortunatly they were closing early that day, really disappointed. but we chatted to the girl on the front desk, she is from Melbourne, so lots of Aussie chatter. had a good look around and left with a great coffee (I really don't like the Vietnamese drip coffee) and two yummy cup cakes. Its a beautiful place.

In Hanoi now,Green Tangarine last night was perfection and KOTO forlunch today was everything I'd expected, just terrific. Off to the Ly Club tonight. Weather cooler, but still a bit sticky, very very foggy/misty.