Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hakone accommodation options (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hakone-accommodation-options-1063686/)

Kavey Jul 17th, 2015 02:56 AM

Hakone accommodation options

For a two night Hakone visit, would love to hear about everyone's favourite Hakone accommodations?

Open to traditional ryokans, preferably higher end and to western hotels (and to western hotels with Japanese style rooms).

Food is important to us. So preferably somewhere with stellar traditional Japanese dining options, dinner and breakfast.

I'd love personal bath (on balcony / outdoors would be even cooler).

We don't have any hotel chain loyalty memberships or points. Only AA/ BA airmile stuff.

Am not a huge walker, as have mild arthritis in the hips plus some back and shoulder issues, so location may be a factor, though I haven't got my head around Hakone yet to really ken this.

All recommendations gratefully received!

FromDC Jul 17th, 2015 04:10 AM

Last June we stayed at ryokan Hakone-Ginyu in a really lovely, spacious room (Japanese style) with a fabulous outdoor bath. The meals were incredibly delicious as well, I think it would be a good choice for a high budget place. Really lovely spot. It's less than a 5 minute walk from the train station (very slightly uphill). It books up quickly, we were lucky to get the last remaining room for our date.

Kathie Jul 17th, 2015 08:14 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt for two nights and just loved it! Hawaiian Traveler recommended it to us. We had a gorgeous suite with a curved wall of windows looking out at Fuji. HT told us they once had a tatami room suite that was lovely. The onsen is on the lowest level, and is indoor (which some reviewers complained about), but which we really liked. The surfaces are rough granite, so not slippery and feels good on your feet.

In the evenings in the fireplace room, they have free drinks (including champagne) and they have a small menu from which you can order a light dinner - perfect for us.

There are so many good options at Hakone, it can be hard to choose.

kalihiwai2 Jul 17th, 2015 09:24 AM

We stayed at the Fujiya Hotel and really enjoyed it.
http://www.fujiyahotel.jp/en/

Historic hotel, founded in 1878, in a good location. Short walk, 7 min, from Miyanoshita Station.

You can check out the reviews on tripadvisor, definitely a mixed bag but if you enjoy vintage architecture it is a destination in itself.

crosscheck Jul 17th, 2015 03:54 PM

We stayed at Gora-Kadan, which was a splurge but a peak travel experience. Recommended here on this board, as well as by three of our real life friends. Our room was a two-room suite with a private deck and onsen w/ views of the forest and the mountains. Cost includes a butler who serves you a super memorable kaiseki dinner and breakfast. The hotel has a Mercedes that will transport you or pick you up anywhere in the area for free.

crosscheck Jul 17th, 2015 03:58 PM

Oops, posted too soon. We easily booked G-K on the tablethotels.com site, which also had some other interesting options.

Kavey Jul 18th, 2015 12:37 AM

Thank you so much everyone.

I suspect that for us, the Hyatt is not near the top of the list. It looks lovely and beautifully done but I think this would be a place we'd prioritise traditional ryokan. Then again if we do the ryokan experience in a couple of other places (basing some of my wish list firmly on HT's Tohoku recommendations/ reports) perhaps we would go for a less expensive hotel option for Hakone. So it's still on the list.

Both Gora Kadan and Hakone Ginyu look terrific, the latter seems a big step down in price, and just as appealing/ magical from reports/ photos, so I'm leaning more towards that one of the two. The transport Mercedes is an appealing extra touch, but the step up from Ginyu prices seems so much.

The Fujiya building itself actually looks delightful, I love the historical building itself. The rooms aren't appealing to me though, and I may add to our list to visit for tea or cake perhaps instead of staying overnight, as I'd really like to have a peek within, if possible.

Thank you all so much!

Smeagol Jul 18th, 2015 12:29 PM

I stayed at Ginyu in Nov 2013 and loved it. There is a small bit on it from both myself and Filmwill on my (unfinished) trip report. I actually thought it good value ( for Japan) amazing food and fabulous scenery and location ( and a bonus that it's a short walk from the station)

crosscheck Jul 18th, 2015 01:26 PM

We couldn't book Ginyu easily online - otherwise would have considered it. In your case, for two nights it will really be much more reasonable. For one night we were able to rationalize the splurge because we were on a work trip and all our other expenses were covered. Now, just to confuse the issue, here's a flyertalk trip report with photos from Gora Kadan:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...one-japan.html

crosscheck Jul 18th, 2015 01:34 PM

BTW, we were just there in March 2015. So I can answer sightseeing Qs.

kalihiwai2 Jul 18th, 2015 08:12 PM

Kavey,
The Fujiya would be a fun place for a walk through or drink at the bar, but as I remember the food was not that special although it was served somewhat formal and expensive surroundings.
One thought I had was that you check out Airbnb.
I have been collecting some potential places in different areas and it seems the Japanese have been making good use of this service.
I just did a search of Hakone and there were a lot of pins. With some sifting you might find some good deals and use the savings to book meals in different places?
Just a thought

leslieq Jul 18th, 2015 10:45 PM

Hi again Kavey,

I just wrote you about the Tensien apartment in Kyoto which you asked about.

We stayed at the Fujiya Hotel and just loved it. Was unlike anything else we stayed at either in Japan or elsewhere...a "grand" hotel from the 30's, Western but with many Japanese touches. The garden in the back is fantastic and I second the recommendation above to at least walk through, have a drink or dessert and walk through the garden. It's lit at night and lovely anytime.

We stayed at some more traditional ryokans and guest houses in other parts of Japan so I didn't feel like I had to stay at a ryokan in Hakone. Lots of people recommended the Hyatt in Gora but it wasn't high on my list either as I wanted something different.

Am eager to hear where you ended up!

Leslie

leslieq Jul 18th, 2015 10:51 PM

Kavey,

One other thing...we didn't really care for the restaurants at the Fujiya, findihg them very expensive.

We had dinner twice at a small Korean restaurant down the street...yummy and reasonable.

Leslie

Smeagol Jul 19th, 2015 12:52 AM

Booking for Hakone Ginyu is easy via Ryokan collection website...

Kavey Jul 19th, 2015 01:51 AM

You are all so helpful, as always, thank you SO MUCH!
x

hawaiiantraveler Jul 20th, 2015 09:57 AM

Gora Kadan and even Hakone Ginyu are at the top of the list of ANY ryokan in Japan so prices and what comes with them are to be expected...never questioned. You would need a keen knowledge of Japanese culture to even begin to understand the nuances and perks that come when you stay at a ryokan of this stature and for those who do understand a stay here is "worth" all the money spent and more. These are the type of ryokan that conscience demands you stay at least two nights and not leave the premises to fully immerse imho. All that said even a one night stay here for the casual visitor will give them a wow factor....guarantee :)

The Hyatt in Gora is in my top two Hyatts I have ever been to. It is NOT the quintessential business style hotel. It is extremely Japanese with an International flare. You will be very pleased if you stay here. We have booked here again for two nights in early Dec 2015. Fujisan view room :)

Check here for other Hakone options and info:

http://www.hakone.or.jp/en/

Have you ever used Japanican to book a room in Japan? Lots of ryokans available on this site. I have used them many times with good results.

http://www.japanican.com/en/

Aloha!

Kavey Jul 20th, 2015 09:36 PM

HT, we have stayed at some delightful and fairly high-end ryokan, so I understand the reason for the expense, but actually Gora Kadan and Hakone Ginyu are quite far apart in price, which is the point I was making. I can't see the reason to pay so much more again for Gora Kadan over Hakone Ginyu. But in the end, it may come down to availability since I still haven't finalised my itinerary in order to get those bookings made!

Julia2244 Jul 21st, 2015 01:54 AM

When I visited Mt.Fuji, I had one night in Hakone Hotel Kowakien. It is in center of Hakone area, really convenient for moving to Mt.Fuji as well as Hamanako. I don't like any hotel in Kawaguchi, because of it have no activities after 9 p.m everyday.
Moreover, Kowakien that I have stayed, it has a greatful natural hot spring and I love it.
Bonus more information about onsen (hot spring) customs:
1. You have to nude when you come to onsen-room. Each one has a towel,and need to pour down at the entrance.
2. You must have a bath clearly before you come in onsen.
3. Big tattoo is not permitted.
Enjoy onsen in Mt.Fuji area! I really love it

Kavey Jul 21st, 2015 10:33 PM

Thanks Julia!

FromDC Jul 22nd, 2015 06:43 AM

Kavey, do you have some recommendations for ryokans that you've stayed in elsewhere in Japan. I'm starting to plan our second trip. Thanks