Reload this Page >

Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, Hoi An

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Liesel

I am looking for accommodation in the above mentioned places. The Hoi An Beach resort was recommended by a Vietnamese travel agent. Does anyone know of it? <BR>Also, we have been advised to visit Cat Be in Halong Bay, where do visitors stay and how are bookings made, how long should we visit for? <BR>Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated with thanks.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Brad

I have never stayed in Hoi An but rather stayed in Da Nang and drove to Hoi An for a day trip. Not sure how many things there are to see in Hoi An. As for Ha Long you can stay at the Ha Long 1 or Ha Long 2 Hotels, both are good enough. But I stayed at a brand new (Apr 2000) hotel that was about 100 yards past the Post Office on the left. It was very nice and clean and only cost $26 a night. The rooms were larger than those in the previously mention hotels but I cant remember the name of the hotel. <BR> <BR>I would not stay for more than two days in Ha Long. Most any booking agent can book you a trip. <BR> <BR>I travel a lot in Vietnam so if you have additional questions please e-mail me. <BR> <BR>BRAD <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 03:03 AM
Al

My wife and I just returned from Hanoi and Ha Long Bay. We stayed at The Galaxy Hotel in Hanoi; excellent in all respects, adjoins the old quarter, splendid rooms and service, fine buffet breakfast. Extremely interesting and convenient location. In Ha Long, we were put up at The Ha Long Bay Hotel. Suggest you avoid it. Miserable food, no elevators, seems a rundown White Elephant. Very near the boat landing that takes daytrippers around the bay's 3,000 islands. Email us direct if you have further questions.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Kathy

Liesel: The Metropole Hotel in Hanoi is my favorite hotel in the Asia. I've stayed there a total of 7 times and the staff always remembers my name. It oozes with colonial charm and modern comforts. Try to get a room on the old section because they are more charming with beautiful heavy doors and even shutters on the windows. The buffet breakfast is also amazing if you are willing to try some of the great Vietnamese delicacies that are offered--traditional Western fare of eggs, etc. are also offered. The Metropole is located near the newly restored Opera House and is also near the Lake of the Restored Swoard. Lots of beautiful tree-lined streets. Lastly, the Metropole staff are also great at helping yu make other travel plans for Ha Long Bay and Hoi An. Many dignitaries have stayed here so they will not recommend filthy hotels. They booked a trip for 6 of us to Ha Long bay and it went off without a hitch! I would definitely recommend flying into Hanoi and then planning trips to Ha Long and Hoi An from there. It certainly will not be more expensive than having everything planned before hand. <BR> <BR>As for Ha Long and Hoi An, I am less familiar with them. I would recommend probably 2 days and 1 night for Ha Long--isn't much to do aside from seeing the bay and some water sports on Cat Ba. Hoi An is supposed to be an artisitc enclave of sorts--lots of great paintings to buy. But 2-3 days there would be sufficient. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage! <BR> <BR>Kathy

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Liesel

Dear Brad, Kathy, Al and Ruth - <BR>Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my message.