Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Ha Long, how long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/ha-long-how-long-652844/)

mrwunrfl Oct 14th, 2006 10:34 AM

Ha Long, how long?

What was your experience like when visiting Halong? Am trying to decide how long to stay. This will be on/about November 8.

I see that there are day tours from Hanoi. Four hours out, five hours cruise, then back to Hanoi. Have you taken that kind of tour? Seems a bit crazy but there would be a big benefit in waking up the next day in Hanoi.

The next option is a 2-day trip. Travel by land from Hanoi to Haiphong/Halong in the morning. Board a boat around noon. Cruise, eat & sleep on the boat. Sleeping on the boat doesn't appeal to me very much, but might be ok. On day 2, you leave the boat around noon and get back to Hanoi around 4PM.

I would need compelling reasons to make it a three-day trip. I understand it is beautiful there and after a couple of days in HCMC and Hanoi it might be a good break from the city. But it's not Grand Canyon beautiful, is it?

eurotraveller Oct 14th, 2006 11:24 AM

I am considering the same thing in November. I will most likely do the overnighter as I don't like to drive that long for a day trip.

There are a lot of people offering the overnight so make sure that it is with a reputable company. i think this is a good case for paying a little more for a good experience.

Cheers!

tmarcLA Oct 14th, 2006 12:56 PM

I did a 2 night junk tour last year with Bai Tho and enjoyed the time on the bay...one night will be plenty for you...Dragon Pearl appears to be the best option but it was sold out when I was there. Don't do the day trip!

rhkkmk Oct 14th, 2006 01:54 PM

wun---we did it a couple of years ago....we stayed 2 or 3 nites at a nice hotel in hyphong and went only for a day to halong, which believe me was enough!! took the russsian "hovercraft" from hyphong and back....it may have been replaced now...

if i went again, i would leave hanoi at mid-day and go to hyphong, stay over nite, leave early the next morning for halong, cruise most of the day and return to hanoi at nite....

we made two stops between hyphong and hanoi: at a painters house which was interesting and at the pottery village, also well worth the stop....

the hotel is the harbor or harborside hotel in hyphong---it is owned by the same people that own the marriott resort and spa in bkk.....it is a small hotel, but decent....decent, but not fantastic dining room...

Cilla_Tey Oct 14th, 2006 05:44 PM

We stayed in Haiphong and had a day trip to Halong. I found Haiphong a waste of time but wished we had spent a few nights cruising the Halong area or staying one or two nights on Cat Ba (I think that's the name of the island). I find Cat Ba very interesting with the floating fishermen's homes moored nearby.
IMO, 2 nights in the area would be sufficient. We had a great guide and 2 boat crew looking after the two of us. The latter cooked a delicious simple seafood lunch for us. I love the scenery in that area.

dperry Oct 14th, 2006 06:37 PM

In 2004 myhusband and I did a 2 night trip to Halong Bay on the Dragon Pearl with Handspan. It was wonderful- one of the nicest things we've done. We hiked, swam and kayaked. The food and room were outstanding. We were on a month long trip through Asia, so this was 'down time' between busy cities. (HK and Hanoi). I would strongly recommend an overnight trip over a day trip to Halong Bay. Being the only boat in a quiet lagoon at sunset was memorable, as was watching the sunrise the next morning.

connette Oct 14th, 2006 07:36 PM

We also overnighted on Halong Bay. Honestly - the magic of the place is at sunset and sunrise. Plus, it is just too much for a day trip. Do you really want to spend more time in the car than at Halong Bay itself?

We sailed on Huong Hai. We were very happy on it. The walls are thin - but I think that is the norm. We could hear the girls next door talking like they were in our room. But really, everyone konked out early after such a full day.

The food was AMAZING. If you only go out for a day trip, you don't get to experience the several great seafood(fresh - hours old) meals. Just lunch.

We felt it was just right size-wise, however we only had 8 passengers total. The bathrooms/showers (all in one room) are a bit funky -but it was just one shower for an overnight cruise.

We off loaded and went on small boats thru some caves and into small coves. Also went on an island that you climbed to the top of for the sunset which was breathtaking, as well as walked thru two other cave/pagodas.

If you wanted more time for kayaking you could spend another day/night. All sewage is dumped directly into the water from the boats as well as bathrooms at facilities. You might consider that when thinking of swimming. I know I saw people do it, but I just could not.

mrwunrfl Oct 14th, 2006 11:47 PM

Thanks everybody. Staying on land in Haiphong might work. Or on a boat.

Doing that means that I will probably have to skip going to Sapa. Would have to go from Halong to the Hanoi train station for the night train. If I was to go to Sapa then I would want to take the Saturday day train back to Hanoi. No point taking a train all that way and not getting to see any of the countryside by taking night trains both ways.

ronjrich Oct 15th, 2006 04:43 AM

We went to Ha Long 2 years ago and made a day trip from Hanoi. It was a long day trip, but we had limited time. If you do not mind a lot of driving (the trip itself is somewhat fascinating), then a day trip was fine. If we did it again though, I would go overnight. We had a great guide (a guide and a driver from a travel agency about 4 or 5 doors to the right of the Win Hotel). We asked to see the countryside and he took us to his village where we sat and had tea with his family. If you seek it out, you can experience many interesting experiences that you will not find in a bigger tour. At Ha Long, we spent about 5 or 6 hours out on the water. For about $40, we had an entire 30 person boat to ourselves and they cooked us an outrageous lunch (the boat stopped by some type of a floating market where we picked out fish, crabs, prawns etc...). As I said we would do an overnight if we could again, but if all you have is 1 day, I would not pass up the experience. It was a great day for us.

thursdaysd Oct 15th, 2006 05:08 AM

I did an overnight on the Dragon Pearl two years ago, and despite not-so-good weather I enjoyed it more than I expected. I usually get bored on boats, but not this time. The cabin was very comfortable and the food was good. That was early December, I would expect the weather to be better in early November. Eight hours on the coach for four hours on the water sounds like a bad trade to me. I'd either do the overnight (one night should be enough) or go to Sapa.

tmarcLA Oct 15th, 2006 05:47 PM

All of the boats seem to be on the same schedule and the transfers to/from Hanoi operate like clock work...I would not want to stay on land, waking up on the boat was amazing!

Go to Sapa too if you can fit it all in! We did the Victoria package and returned on the day train which was one of the high points of our entire trip! The scenery was incredible and I felt that I really got to see rural Vietnam!

WeiLong Oct 15th, 2006 10:11 PM

If you do the two night tour you can fit in some extra activities such as hiking or kayaking on the bay. I thought Halong Bay was pretty spectacular.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Vietnam/Halong.htm

mrwunrfl Oct 16th, 2006 12:28 PM

WeiLong, I saw the link to your webpage on another thread and checked it out. Very nice. Great shots.

IsisMnroe Oct 17th, 2006 04:40 PM

I vote for one day Halong so you would have more time to see Sapa.

Would you time to spend a couple of days in the Sapa area to make it a worthwhile trip?

mrwunrfl Oct 17th, 2006 05:31 PM

Sapa trip would be to take the train Thursday night arriving way too early on Friday. Overnight in Sapa and then day train (10AM or so) back to Hanoi. That was based on the Victoria Express train sked which has only one day train and that is on Saturday on the return. I saw a webpage today that has Vietnam railways schedules and their train may work better. Maybe I can get a day train return on Sunday.

At that railway website it showed the scheduled travel time between Hanoi and Halong to be only two hours. There is a departure from Hanoi around 6AM. A return train arrives in Hanoi in time to catch the trains to Sapa. At least one of those Haiphong train rides would be recreation for me. I would almost want to hire a car in Hanoi and tell the driver to drop me at the train station and then meet me at the Haiphong station and go from there.

So, two hours to Haiphong and then a drive to Halong. How long is that drive?

I read the itinerary for a couple of Halong overnight tours and it seemed like they allowed four hours on both ends of the trip for travel between Halong and Hanoi. Is it really four hours by road.

thursdaysd Oct 17th, 2006 06:24 PM

For Vietnamese train info see http://seat61.com/Vietnam.htm and http://www.vr.com.vn/english/index.html Looks like the day train is hard seat only. I don't remember exactly, but four hours sounds about right for the road trip to Halong Bay.

Mitch04 Oct 19th, 2006 08:01 PM

mrwunrfl: I note your question "But it's not Grand Canyon beautiful, is it?". Clearly you have not done much research. It is a World Heritage Site, and outstandingly beautiful and, in its own way, every bit as wonderful as Grand Canyon. Handspan offer a variety of junks. I tried for Dragon's Pearl, but it was full. I went through their photographic catalogue of the other available junks, and found one that I figured as just as good. The cabins were excellent, and the ensuite facilities were spotlessly clean. The food was the best I had while in Vietnam.

julies Oct 19th, 2006 08:29 PM

Has anyone gone in mid-winter? We'd be looking at early January, and i am wondering if this trip would be as desireable then. Normally the kayaking part would really appeal to us too, but once again I am wondering about weather at that time of year.

By the way, for anyone else still looking at which company to use, everyone at the Lonely Planet forum raves about Handspan as a company for this tour.

mrwunrfl Oct 19th, 2006 11:25 PM

Thanks for that Mitch04. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've researched it enough to know that I ought to stay over one night but definitely don't need to stay for two nights (I would love to but don't have the time). What was the name of the boat you took?

Thanks for the rail link thursdaysd.

Bob, what was the timing of your day trip to Halong from Haiphong? When did you leave the hotel and when did you arrive at the port? When did the boat leave and return? How did you arrange your boat trip?

Here is the day trip I am imagining and don't know if I can arrange it: Leave Hanoi around 6AM and arrive at Halong port at 10AM. Boat leaves at 10:30. Sunset should be around 5:20. Back to the port at 6PM and back in Hanoi at 10PM. Seems like a good use of the night time. I would be in Hanoi the next morning instead of late afternoon. Then two nights in Sapa (2 full days and a day train back or 3 days and a night train).

Dinner on the boat sounds like fun and some of the boats look comfortable. I am traveling solo so the night could be either very relaxing, looking up at the stars, or terribly boring if it was raining. The payoff could be a beautiful morning on the bay. Or a rainy one.

KimJapan Oct 19th, 2006 11:44 PM

I'm thinking that with your usual travel style, the day trip would be good. It seems you don't mind being on the move a lot, and rather like it actually. It would make the most of your time to do the travel time in the early morning and late evening/night hours and use your daylight time for sightseeing.

On the other hand, I think it would be really nice to sleep on the boat, hang out with the other people on the boat, and wake up in the beauty of Halong bay...rain or sun, beautiful any way it comes I think.

I don't really think you can go wrong on a first trip somewhere...you can always go back another time if there is something that really gets your attention...or you can change your itinerary along the way to spend more or less time somewhere.