Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   guesthouse in delhi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/guesthouse-in-delhi-585185/)

Lyd Jan 25th, 2006 05:43 PM

guesthouse in delhi?

Can anyone recommend a guesthouse in Delhi. I've been looking at the hotel selection on tripadvisor and it's bleak! - either rooms for over $300 or places for under $50 with reviews like "avoid at all costs." thanks- Lyd

Ben Jan 25th, 2006 05:55 PM

Master Paying Guesthouse - in Lonely Planet Delhi guide

Lyd Jan 25th, 2006 05:59 PM

i hear its great, but unfortunately fully booked. thanks for the idea, though.

lcuy Jan 25th, 2006 08:44 PM

My daughter lived at Ahuja Residency (near the Kahn Market) for a while. I visited and it is clean and nice. I think it runs about $50 night.

TracyB Jan 25th, 2006 09:06 PM

We stayed at the Jukaso Inn in the Sunder Nagar area, and were quite pleased with it. It was in a quieter part of Delhi and had some really good cheap restaurants in the vicinity..I didn't mind it whatsoever, infact, i would stay there again..

Bonita Jan 26th, 2006 01:50 AM

Greetings from an American who lives on/off in Delhi! yes, the hotel situation in Delhi is quite bleak, (five stars from $200 up) and even the better-guesthouses are quite expesnive. There are a few differnt areas for guesthouses in Delhi. The ultra-cheap backpackers favorite PARHGANJ, where you can find places for $10 and up. TheRE are many! Then there is the next tier, an area called KAROL Bargh, where you can find decent guesthouses/hotels for about $25 and up. Both these areas are major bustling market areas and definately not my favorte areas of Delhi. Another area that has about 4-5 guesthouses(upmarket/so to speak) is an area called Sundar Nagar, OPPOSITE the Oberoi Hotel! Great area, one of my favorites, very lovely, very peaceful and very green, and great loacation. In Sundar Nagar there are a few questhouses that come to name, Jukasco, La Sangrita, Maharani and the more upmarket Shervani. They will cost you $50 plus plus..Also, a handful of others. Any are fine choices! I might also add that there are a few decent guesthouses apread around delhi, such as the Ahuja as mentioned, also there are a few moderate hotels at CP(connaught PLACE) jukasco and Nirulas aND Marina Hotel, to name a few..And throughout the city there are other guesthosues such as in the locality of Gk, greater KALISH. okay, happy travels and feel free to drop me a line.

massagediva Jan 26th, 2006 05:34 AM

Great information,Bonita. I'm putting it in my India file.

Lyd Jan 26th, 2006 06:17 AM

Thank you Bonita (and lcuy)! Incredibly helpful, I'll go to work seeking if anything is open on my dates. Lyd

Bonita Jan 26th, 2006 10:06 AM

YOUR WELCOME! glad IT WAS helpful! U might be interested that i pretty much lived in one of the guesthouses in Sundar Nagar last year between travel-projects called the Shervani guest house. It is a lovely place, but there prices this year have sky-rocketed after renovation. and i no longer stay there.. these days it is priced around $100, but definatly the nicest guesthouse in Delhi, i would say boutqiue guesthouse! Also, this year i am also staying in a different guesthouse between my travels and various assignments and this time i am staying in a locality in Delhi called Greater KALISH 1, WHICH is a somewhat posh neighborhood with great markets..I am staying in a guesthouse called Sol Victoria and it is about $40 a night and quite fine, safe and helpful. that is another idea, and then you are in a local area oF new Delhi. take care and feel free to be in touch..I am presently in Bkk, but actually back to Delhi and the guesthouse on Saturday for a few nights....namaste..bonita.

Lyd Jan 26th, 2006 03:44 PM

Bonita, I've been searching for some contact info on Sol Victoria, which sounds wonderful for us, but can find nothing. Do you know how I can get in touch or book? (We want to be there for 3 days in Feb.) Thanks! Lyd

lilypoo Jan 26th, 2006 11:05 PM

Bonita. Thanks for the great advice. What kind of markets are located in the Greater Kalash area? Where are they located? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Peony Jan 27th, 2006 06:40 PM

Hi Lyd,

Two friends and I stayed at the Hotel Broadway in Old Delhi last January. The rooms, although a little worn, were really quite fine...a good size with a decent bathroom. The room price was about 80 $US for the three of us with an excellent breakfast included. The Chor Bizarre retaurant at the Broadway is very highly rated and is indeed very good.

The Hotel is very conveniently located for sightseeing in Old Delhi, is not too far from the "centre" (i.e. Connaught Circle). We walked all around the Hotel and Old Delhi and felt very safe. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Lyd Jan 28th, 2006 06:10 AM

Thanks Peony!

Bonita Jan 29th, 2006 06:46 AM

HI there! Well, i see there is alot of guesthouse interest.Well, i am actually back in my lil guesthouse in GK so can answer questions and give info! i arrived last night from BKK! Again, do also look at those guesthouses in Sundar NAGAR as it is an excellent and beautiufl location and very central. It is very close to KHAN market and across from the OBEROI!.do a search! my lil guesthouse SOLO VICTORIA is out in south Delhi, in a residential area called Gk 1. The markets nearby are gk1 market M BLOCK AND N BLOCK. M block is a bustling delhi upper middle class market, that sells just about everything, plus resturants/bars, etc..THE other market out here is N BLOCK, with the famous Fab INDIA, shops! Okay, THOSE wanting to contact solo vicotria can do it by e-mail.I am there now and the e-mail is [email protected] It is not an elaborate place, but safe, clean, good service, nice-ish rooms with TV, phone, fridge, etc. tHE manager is Seema, and she knows me quite well. U can mention my name if you want, Bonita. I told her some folks may contact and to take care. *On another note, i live in India and lead many travel programs through North INDIA SO IFf anyone needs any other travel help, suggestions or assistance for their trip in India, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] take care. namaste,

Lyd Jan 30th, 2006 04:48 AM

Thanks for recommending Hotel Broadway, Peony. Old Delhi sounds more manageable than Karol Bargh for 1st-timers. Does everyone else agree? (Or have experience with Hotel Broadway?) Lyd

Lyd Jan 31st, 2006 02:59 AM

Thanks to all of your suggestions I'm thrilled to be finding rooms in Sunder Nagar, rather than Karol Bargh for my first nights in India.

Now, any suggestions for places to eat?

Lyd

Lyd Feb 1st, 2006 02:32 AM

We've booked in the Maharani in Sunder Nagar. Can anyone recommend restaurants in the area? Thanks! Lyd

TracyB Feb 1st, 2006 08:35 AM

Lyd...we stayed 1 night at the Maharini guesthouse and 2 nights at the Jukaso Inn..They are close together, but personally i did not like the Maharini one bit..The room was not clean..I had to get them to come and vacuum before i would even go into the room..Maybe it was just an off day, but the Jukaso Inn was far cleaner and nicer in my opinion.

Regardless..there is a good restaurant down the street called Sweets Corner..It is very inexpensive and very good..The first night we were in Delhi, we had supper for 100 rupees for the 2 of us which is only 3.00 Canadian..We ate there quite a few times and every time it was good..

There is also a good bakery in the area, i forget what it was called..

I really liked the area, it was nice a quiet..

We used a tuk tuk from the hotel to get to shopping, sightseeing etc. and it was an awesome experience..Have fun..

Lyd Feb 1st, 2006 03:55 PM

Thanks TracyB--we were considering the Jukaso but it was 2x as expensive as Maharani and couldn't take us all 3 nights. Yea, Maharani looks pretty basic (Fodors says it's "redeemed by is service.") Did you move after booking in Maharani for 3 nights? What's the protocol on moving after 1 night? (Is there a cancelation fee?)

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. Lyd

TracyB Feb 1st, 2006 06:03 PM

Actually, we stayed i think 3 nights at the Jukaso when we arrived in Delhi.. and then 1 night at the Maharini on the way back, so i don't know about cancellation..But don't get too worried, cause sometimes you just get a bad room and otherwise it wasn't that bad..The Jukaso wasn't perfect either, just had a better newer room...I am sure you will be fine, but i just thought i would pass that info along..