Guenmai, Rhkkmk, Glorialf

Sep 30th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai, Rhkkmk, Glorialf

Thanks very much for your help. My wife and I are visiting Asia for the first time. We are going to Kho Samui first and then finishing our trip in Bangkok. If you don't mind, I'll bve asking you guys lots of questions.
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Can you recommend tours/dinner cruises to take in Kho Samui or Bangkok?
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I've been reading that some of you recommend a klong tour.

What is a klong tour?
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Please disregard my last query. I did a search on the internet (which I should have done in the first place) and found out about klong tours.

I booked one!!!
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Rob-- you don't need to book a klong tour or any tour until you get there and in fact you shouldn't. First of all you will be paying more than double and secondly you will be with a group which is not the way to go. You can book a private klong tour when you're in bangkok.

There are several dinner river cruises in Bangkok. The better ones are run by the hotels. The Oriental has one as does the Marriott. You can book them when you get there. The Oriental one is on a converted rice barge. I think the Marriott one is also. Avoid the big commercial ones run by tour companies that served hundreds of people.
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Gloria--thanks for the advice.
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:09 AM

i am unaware of any dinner cruises in samui...it is far more laid back than that and the tourist infastructue is organized more simply...

i can tell you about my favorite restaurants in bkk and some in samui if you wish---just ask...where are you staying at samui...??

gloria is correct that nothing should be booked for touring until you get there, except someone like ratt if you plan to use a driver/guide..

you will love the klong tour...if you are staying along the river your hotel will call a boat for you...if not you can arrange for one at the kiosk at river city shopping center (out by the river) or at a booth set up at taskim pier (just below taskim skytrain stop)...you would take this trip during the day...

all of the other sites are available by taxi or driver and/or skytrain with a little preplanning....the grand palace and wat arun can also be arrived at via river ferry...

i do not suggest people take dinner cruises but some do love them...

ask as many questions as you wish..

you are going to love bkk and samui!!!
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

In Koh Samui we are staying at the Amari Palm Reef and in Bangkok we are staying at the Pathumwon Princess (spelling?) near the MBK shopping centre.

I would love to hear any recommendations on restuarants (or anything else for that matter).

Thanks again
Rob
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Kia Ora run day trips and sunset cruises on their catamaran in Samui. V highly recommended.

Certainly on the day trip you get food but I am not sure about the sunset cruise - possibly drinks only. Here is the link - http://www.kiaorathailand.com/sailingsamui.htm
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Do you recommend hiring a driver/guide?
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:43 AM

the skytrain is near to your hotel which is good...i do not find all that much to do in that area except for shopping and the jim thompson house is neraby---that is a must visit...good restaurant there as well...i will send my restaurant info directly to your e address
ask as many questions as you wish..

a driver is not necessary in bkk but many first timers love having it to save logistic time for short stays...ratt is our favorite but julie is another one...

bob
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rhkkmk.

I've been reading Bangkokbob on the internet--very informative--and he cautions against buying jewellery while in Thailand apart from reputable stores. I always buy my wife something when we travel. Can you recommend good jewellery stores.
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM

robmac:
Regarding getting a driver- where do you live? Are you used to high heat/humidity- if not then get Ratt.
Its not a question of need but want!
The heat/humidity will drain you- you can do/see so much more by using Ratt.
Think about it for a minute- you just toured a temple for an hour. Your hot, sweating, a bit tired, your feet hurt- now you get in Ratt's car, she hands you a cold towel, and a cold bottle of water. You are resting in an air conditioned car, getting refreshed with the water and towel. In 10 minutes you are re-charged and ready to hit the next temple/palace/store/JT House, etc.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Toronto in December doesn't have much heat & humidity.

How do I get in touch with Ratt?
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Do a search on this forum for Ratt and you should get plenty of hits where her contact info has been posted. You will need to book her far in advance, and for full days. But her cost is very reasonable so its worth it. Having a driver with you all day is very common in Asia.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:13 AM

As has been happening a lot recently, I agree with Bill.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Once again--Thanks.
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

OK, I've been reading some of the postings concerning Ratt.

It would appear that she is very nice and helpful but she sometimes arranges sidetrips if you are not very specific about what you want to see.

Could you suggest a two-day itinerary for my wife and I utilizing Ratt in the best way. This is our first time in Bangkok so we want to see as much as possible--within reason--of course.

It seems that we could maybe see the Jim Thompson house on our own and also the Grand Palace, but what about things to see outside of Bangkok.
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM

How many days total will you be in Bangkok?
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM

and also what are you most interested in? For example do archeological sites interest you? Temples? Markets? Historical stuff? Museums?

How much time do you want to spend on shopping, spas, relaxing etc.?

Once we know more we can work out some ideas for your time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO