Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Griswalds Vacations (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/griswalds-vacations-259212/)

Mark Manners Sep 18th, 2002 05:51 PM

Griswalds Vacations

I am planning to go to Vietnam at the end of the year and have been talking to a company called Griswalds Vietnamese Vacations. Has anyone heard of this company? Their website is www.vietnamvacations.com.au They are an Aussie company and I like the sound of them. They have an office in Sydney but they also have a cafe in Hanoi called the Kangaroo. Is it normal for companies to set up like this? I find it kind of weird that a tour company has a cafe. I admit I am not a big travel person but I have wanted to go to Vietnam for years and here is my chance. I like the sound of the people I spoke to on the phone and they seem very helpul and the prices sound okay too. But let me know if there's any other companies I should be looking at before committing to the Griswalds tour. Thanks a lot.

xxx Sep 18th, 2002 07:03 PM

Which ever company you decides to travel with make sure you have everything spelled out in writing. The people in VN are known to tag on extra fees for things that wouldn't be charged in NA. Also, the pictures on some hotels on the internet are very deceiving. Make sure you ask them if the hotels ratings are international or just local. We stayed in 4 star hotels in Da Nang and saw roaches and rats in our room.<BR>

Mark Manners Sep 19th, 2002 02:38 PM

Thanks xxx - were you there in the colder months? I hate rats and roaches. I will be in Hanoi in December. Thanks

xxx Sep 19th, 2002 03:54 PM

We just got back this Saturday. There are only 2 seasons in VN - wet and dry. It's hot no matter what month you go. It's a bit "cooler" between December and January.

mandy Sep 21st, 2002 07:01 PM

the kangaroo cafe in vietnam is a place that many travelers frequent. it's not owned by a specific travel company, to my knowledge. it is it's own business. however, if you have any intention of planning an off-the-beaten-track trip, DON'T USE KANGAROO CAFE! they are convenient and cheap if you want to go where everyone else goes. but you'll miss out on a lot of local flavor. and try to avoid the open-tour buses. they encourage then, but if you take one you'll know what i mean.

Nancy Oct 29th, 2002 04:57 PM

Mark<BR><BR>I have also been in contact with Griswalds, e mail only &amp; they have tours we think sound pretty good. We have not called them at this time, still trying to get together other info. I would appreciate any information you have available or any updates. We are planning on going to Vietnam late Feb or early March 2003<BR><BR>Nancy &amp; Terry Rosenbaum

island girl Nov 17th, 2002 03:41 PM

Ok,<BR>so what's with the open busses. Fill us in please.<BR>Want to take 17-20 days in June...know it will be hot and rainy, but only time we can go...ever.<BR>Suggestion for tour guides or booking. <BR>Other opinions of griswalds?<BR>Or other guides.<BR>what about decent airfare from chicago...or even LA