Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Delhi and some suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAMASTE and Greetings from an American who lives on/off in Delhi! I thought i would jot down a little list of things to do, see, explore in Delhi as thee seems to be a growing interest in the city. Let me first mention that there are quite a few publications that list the happenings of the city. The best is the beautiful monthly magazine called First City, and two smaller publications are Delhi Diary and The Delhi City Guide. U can find them all about town, at newsstands, etc..But definately pcik up the glossy magazine, First city! It will give you a great feel/listings for all the happenings of the city, galleries, film, shopping, food, bars, etc... NOW I will run down some various suggestions as per sights, shopping, food and other fun things
FIRST, THE SIGHTS! I will not list them all, but rather some of the most interesting ones. I lead a lot of cultural tours in INDIA starting in Delhi and these are the places/sights I often take my groups.
SIGHTS!
1. visit OLD DELHI, the markets of Chandni chowk and the great MOSQUE Jama masjid. U might also want to take a bicicyle rickwaw ride through the narrow old lanes! Fascinating! When U leave Old Delhi u can next visit the Red Fort!
2. vISit RAJ Ghat! The cremation and resting place of Ghandi. It is a lovely place to visit and very appropriate and heart-warming too!
3. U CAN visit one of my favorite Hindu temples in Delhi, thev incredible lakxmi birla Temple, built by the Birla Family! Temple is beautiful, peaceful and very interesting!
4. Bahai Temple, very interesting place!
5. Humayon’s Tomb! Beautiful Mughal architecthrue and will wet your appetitie for the Taj in Agra.
6. Qutab Minar! YES, this is a sight not to be missed!
MUSEUMS!
* U may consider some of these museums, depending on how much time u have. Will mention a few options.
1.National Galley of Modern Art
2.National Museum
OTHER FUN THINGS TO DO!
1. Visit LODHI Gardens, perhaps in the morning or again for sunset. Gorgeous sprawling gardens. Delhi is Green too!
2. Spend time around India Gate, maybe for sunset when many people come out. A lot of people fun atmosphere!
3. Wander and shop around Connaught PLACE! Inner and outer circle.
4. vISIT the beautiful Imperial Hotel on JANPATH, perhaps have lunch in the garden or a drink in the evening,or dine in one of the restaurants..
5. Wander down JANPATH MARKET. Fun market for everything INDIAN
6. vISIT Dillihatt. A fun outdoor crafts market and food too, CRAFTS from all over the country.!
7. Visit HAUZ KHAZ Village= great art/boutiques, great neighborhood.
8. Sundar Nagar market for antiques.
9. visit Khan Market, for a nice upper-middle class shopping market. Has a bit of everything. And tons of great bookstores too!!!
10. visit Gk 1 market, M BlockK AND N Block Again more fun markets, again upper-middle class Delhites..Be sure to go to FAb India on N BLOCK market, great shop!
11. visit Santushti market, across from Ashok Hotel in chanyakapuri. Nice upscale Indian boutiques/fashionable.
12. *There are plenty more markets, but that should keep you busy and spending.
13. oh, u may want to see a Bollywood film in one of the great Cinemas.they are all about the city..the best cinemas are called the PRIYAS and are located about the city.
14. Two other interesting places to check out for art/culture, film, exhibitions are both the India International Center and the India Habitat Center.
FOOD!
eAT your way thru the city! So many great restaurants! Too many to mention, perhaps i can do so more specifically in another posting but do note that all the luxury five star hotels have quite a few excellent restaurants to choose from. To name just a few hotels u may want to sample:The IMPERIAL hotel, the Taj Mahal, the Taj Palace, the Intercontinental, the Meridean, the Sheraton, the Hyatt, the Grand, etc, etc…Many more hotels too. By the way, in Delhi many of the cities best restaurants are located in the Hotels, althought there are some excellent restaurants scattered all over the city of every cuisines…Some markets with great restruants are Defense Colony, HAUZ khaz village, Greater KALISH 1, and quite a few good restaurants and bars around Connaught place! HAPPY travels and feel free to drop me a line if coming to Delhi or really anywehre in India and would like some additional help/advice/suggestions in India trip planning. Happy to help. [email protected]
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM

This is a good list. We covered many of these places on our visit a year ago. One thing not to be missed if you are in Delhi in February is the Moghul gardens at the Presidential Palace. They are world class.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:33 AM

Dear Bonita,

For someone who lives in India your spelling of "Ghandi" is inexcusable.

Also - what about the new Swaminarayan temple? Have you seen it?

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM

bonnie---i love your spelling!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:44 PM

Bonnita I would like to vist the GK1 Market, M and N Block. Is it all 1 market? Is it outside? Would a taxi driver or rickshaw driver know what I'm talking about if I just said "Take me to GK1"? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling errors! I wAS typing very very fast as i am very busy and trying to get out alot of info-fast! Didn't read thru. Also,the computer i am using freezes up and blocks letters so it was a heady combo. **So those who can overlook and handle my my bad spelling, i hope u find my list helpful and that it adds to your enjoyment of this great city!!!! And Lilypoo,Gk 1 m and n are separate markets about five minute drive. They are indoor markets/separate shops. I love N block market, as it has alot of good shops for Indian wear. M block market has just about everything! namaste, bonita
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM

Bonita,

Re. spelling, I wasn't picking on you. And the other trivial spelling errors (which we all make, fast typing and all) were not my concern. Most Westerners, for some reason, have a tendency to mis-spell Gandhi as "Ghandi" and I was highlighting that.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
Lyd

bonita! thanks for taking the time for such an exhaustive overview. much appreciated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Your Welcome LYD! And thanx Bob too, I didn't see you there chiming in! Bob- do look in your pesonal e-mail, just writing to You about Ascott Bkk. Anyways, i am actually in JAIPUR today/not Delhi!!. I just arrived via dELHI, it took us 6 1/2 hours with a hour lunch stop. Major traffic out of Delhi. Anyways i am on road for two weeks managing a very big American group. I am at the Sheraton in Jaipur for a few nights and then off to the Sheraton in Agra. Things are busy busy tonight between the many tourists and a grand high-society wedding too! namaste
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:34 AM

Bonita-
Hi there! I have enjoyed your chatty posts.
Would you be able to recommend a 1 day cooking class in either Jaipur or Udaipur?
Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:08 AM

Bonita. Thanks for all your valuable information. I noticed in another post you said you have used asiarooms.com. Have you ever used them for Indian hotels? If so were they reliable? I also noticed that M1 and M2 are being demolished. Do you know if it would be worth a ride there now?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM

Namaste Bonnita.. Your suggestions for sightseeing and guesthouses in Delhi sound very interesting. I will certainly try out the restaurants and places you have mentioned when I get to Delhi. However, I am planning to fly to Mumbai in March. I would like to spend a couple of days in Mumbai and then take a train to Ketni (Or is it Katni) for Bandhavghar. Please can you suggest good, inexpensive guest houses for Mumbai? Any suggestions where one can stay for 2 nights in Mumbai? Has anyone travelled by train from Mumbai to Ketni? Any helpful hints and tips will be appreciated.
Waiting eagerly for your post.
Kind regards,
Ranju
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Again! Cruisinred, sorry but can not offer suggestions on cooking classes as you have asked, so will not be so chatty, ha ha!! However, can suggest plenty of eating in India!! And I really like Jaipur, and am constantly in/of that city every-month!! And Ranju, u ask about good cheap guesthouses in Bombay? tHE best place for budget guesthouses is in the area called Colaba, and it is a great place to stay! There are many guesthouses there, from very basic to swanky, do not know your budget, but feel free to e-mail me directly and can perhaps help out. Oh, and i just love Bombay!!! I am actually thinking of shifting there next year! take care happy travels! [email protected]