Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Greetinga from Kolkata (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/greetinga-from-kolkata-868402/)

Kathie Dec 1st, 2010 05:57 PM

Greetinga from Kolkata

Hello, everyone! We arrived in Kolkata last night from Darjeeling. Having a wonderful time. We will have lots to tell about Sikkim (absolutely loved it!) and Darjeeling (a mixed review) when I have time.

We're off on a Calcutta Walks Tour now.

Oh, and the Oberoi Grand is fabulous!

Hanuman Dec 1st, 2010 06:06 PM

Good to hear from you Kathie. Look forward to your report!

inquest Dec 1st, 2010 10:47 PM

Wonderful to hear from you Kathie.Sikkim & Darjeeling reports should be interesting.The last time I was in Kolkata was in '95.The traffic.I remember was nightmarish.A happening city though.Strolling thru Park Street,Victoria Memorial.
Looking forward to your take on it.
I recall going to New Market.Interesting place to browse around if you have the time.

hawaiiantraveler Dec 1st, 2010 11:07 PM

Glad to hear you are having a good time. We were just about to send out the search party for you two. Can't wait to hear all the details.

Aloha!

dogster Dec 2nd, 2010 12:27 AM

I'm so looking forward to your stories! Give Ifte and crew from Calcutta Walks my best - and the same to Ms Ranju Alex at the Oberoi. I knew you'd like the Grand... the transition from that to the streets outside is wondrous, isn't it? Indiahhh.

CaliNurse Dec 2nd, 2010 01:07 AM

ooo...oooo....oooo!!! So great to hear from you, live from the scene.Thanks for taking the time in the midst of your Kolkata day , to update us eager-to-know Fodies( and Dogs)

Craig Dec 2nd, 2010 01:20 AM

Hope you and Cheryl are staying out of trouble. Good to hear from you.

Kathie Dec 2nd, 2010 03:25 AM

Back from a day of touring Kolkata... What can I say? We love Kolkata! I wasn't expecting to be so taken with this city. It is a feast for the senses.

Cheryl took 500-600 photos today. Don't worry, she won't put them all on her website.

dogster, Ifte is our guide tomorrow, and I will give him your best.

Tonight we are eating at the much-recommended restaurant at the Peerless.

ekscrunchy Dec 2nd, 2010 03:27 AM

Looking forward to hearing everything...although I do realize that you will have to remind me about my very cold January stay at the Windamere..

dogster Dec 2nd, 2010 04:15 AM

Aaheli. Ask for the special thali.

thursdaysd Dec 2nd, 2010 04:59 AM

Oh good! I've been wondering how you were getting on and if a search party was required. I loved the Windamere, but I wasn't there in January, lol. If you make it to Sudder St give my regards to the Fairlawn.

lcuy Dec 2nd, 2010 11:04 AM

Ahh, Oberoi! They know how to make hotels....

rivet Dec 2nd, 2010 04:21 PM

Looking forward to your trip report.

rhkkmk Dec 2nd, 2010 04:41 PM

we are home and are now all ears for your reportimg

Kathie Dec 2nd, 2010 10:44 PM

Back from our morning walk (Confluence of Cultures). Ifte drove but because of family obligations could not guide us today, so we had Manjit who was wonderful. The Calcutta walks are a real experience. The two tours we've taken with them have really given us an up-close look at the city. I can't recommend them enough. We're already talking about which walks we want to take next time we're here. (And remember, we are the people who very rarely hire guides. This is not your usual "guided tour" experience.)

Dogater, I hadn't seen your message about the thali, but we did have the vegetarian thali and it was excellent.

For you foodies out there that dare eat street food, Manjit included some street food stops along the way, and we started with Ifte's favorite chai place (it was the best I've tasted).

We had planned to go to dogster's restaurant rec on Sudder Street (Zaranj), but we've decided to do spa treatments at the Oberoi instead. We'll try out that restaurant our next time in Kolkata.

Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok for our last few days before returning home to write the trip report for me and edit the photos for Cheryl. Oh, yes, we'll also have to go back to work when we get hone. lol.

rhkkmk Dec 3rd, 2010 04:38 AM

tell cheryl not to edit too much... as with your trip report we need all the details in both words and pics...

see what you have missed without an occasional guide...

anxious for the full blown details...

CaliNurse Dec 3rd, 2010 09:33 AM

Safe journey home, Kathie and Cheryl!!!

You are probably in that ""trip's over blues" phase, counteracting it by planning your next trip!

So glad to hear about your great experience with the Calcutta Walks folks, and the restaurant at Peerless Inn...as both are highly recommended by the folks we plan our India trips with, and are already set for itin when we make it too that city.

Ummm..chai!! Thanks for the mention.You whet my appetite for it. Im gonna get out the cardomom and make a cuppa!!

Like everyone else...eagerly awaiting your words and pix trip report!

indianapearl Dec 3rd, 2010 12:56 PM

Ah, "work." Now how does one do that?

dgunbug Dec 3rd, 2010 07:41 PM

Also awaiting your pix and more trip info.

Kathie Dec 4th, 2010 03:21 AM

We arrived in Bangkok late this afternoon. We have two full days here before departing very early on Tuesday morning.

As we were walking through the BKK airport on our way to immigration, Cheryl said "look how clean the airport is!" And driving on the expressway on our way to our hotel "notice how everyone is driving in their own lane!" There is nothing like the contrast effect to help you appreciate things you take for granted.