Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Great Wall Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/great-wall-questions-894681/)

roothy123 Jun 12th, 2011 05:46 PM

Great Wall Questions

I am totally confused about the Great Wall at Badaling. Some say it is less crowded if you go "left" and others say "right." Some say that going left is harder than going right; others say going right is harder. I'm guessing that not everyone gets to the wall from the same parking lot, and so information varies. What I'm trying to find out is:

From the area where the public bus, tour buses, etc. drop you (i.e., south of the wall, I think, NOT by the restaurants and museum):

1. Which walk is harder - the part that goes northeast, to the North 8 Tower, etc.?
2. Which walk is less crowded?
3. Which has better photo opps?
4. Has anyone ever taken the chair lift (or whatever it's called) to Tower 8? If so, about how long does it take, and if you walked down, about how long did it take you?
5. Has anyone ever ridden the silly "tobaggan"? Does it go anywhere useful or is it just a gimmick of sorts?
6. Does anyone know of a detailed map of the Badaling wall section?
7. Has anyone heard of the International Forest, which is apparently a garden from which you can view a guide post, and see the wall from below?
8. Could you venture a guess as to how far up and back a 60 year old in decent health/weight/stamina can get up the wall (either section) in an hour's time?

I know I'm asking a lot, but I really like to know a lot before I go, and want to make the most of my limited time there, which is only about 1 and a half hours.

BostonHarbor Jun 12th, 2011 06:29 PM

Why don't you go to the Great Wall at Mutianyu rather than Badaling. There is a fraction of the people, and the vistas are stunning. It is a bit longer drive to get there (about 30-45 minutes) , but that's why there are fewer people. The photo ops are limitless and most of my pictures of the wall have no people at all in them. They have a toboggan too if it interests you.

kja Jun 12th, 2011 06:30 PM

> 1. Which walk is harder - the part that goes northeast, to the North 8 Tower, etc.?

I found the part to the north steeper and harder to climb than the part to the south.

> 3. Which has better photo opps?

I thought that both sides provided great photo opportunities.

> I ... want to make the most of my limited time there, which is only about 1 and a half hours.

Trying to stick to a predetermined schedule can be complicated. I think you will find that flexibility can greatly enhance one's experience of China.

Hope that helps!

Set Jun 13th, 2011 06:24 AM

I agree with BH: Mutianyu is a much better stop than Badaling. Especially if you go early in the morning, you have the Wall all to yourself.

krgystn Jun 13th, 2011 12:02 PM

Simitai is better yet, but very tough hike.