Granny's trip to Thailand

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granny's trip to Thailand

We returned from almost a month in Thailand a week ago. Picked up a cold between Japan and Seattle so this is the first I've had a chance to write this short report. I don't keep notes, so this won't be detailed.

I want to thank all the good people on this board for the information they passed on. We did get to three of the restaurants and three of the hotels.

The first two weeks of the trip we were on a Grand Circle Oat trip. I don't think we could ever have learned so much or seen so much on our own. There were 13 of us, another couple, and ladies from mid 40's up. We were all friends by the end of the trip. Our guide, Chai, was just wonderful. I can't say enough good things about him. He is a young Thai, who speaks very good English, and the history and information he passed on really made the trip, besides he is a fun person.

These are the hotels we stayed in on the tour:

Imperial Impala Hotel-Good location, right across from the Emporium shopping center and a block from the Skytrain. Rooms are dated, but the lobby is very nice. It's connected to a newer hotel and we had beautiful buffet breakfasts there. We also got to use the large pool in the new hotel on the 8th floor. Too bad I didn't find it until the last day, it was really nice. I asked at the desk and they said $40/double/with breakfast, but my husband said he saw it cheaper on the internet. I think the Impala is a good low price choice. www.imperialhotels.com

River Kwai Resotel, rustic, great pool, public rooms all wood, in the jungle, only accessible by long boat. This was the most unusual and our favorite, but remember it's rustic. We went everywhere by long boat. Lots of French tour people here.

Grand Riverside Hotel- Phitsanulok
Maeyom Palace Hotel-Amphur Muang-Only stayed a night at each and can't remember much about them.

Golden Pine Resort-A.Muang, Chiang Rai-A very nice resort, duplex cottages, beautiful pool. www.thailandhotels.net

Raming Lodge Hotel-Amuang, Chiangmai. The hotel was central, walking distance to the night market, the rooms were ok, but it didn't have a pool. Not sure we would have had time to use a pool, but I like to have the option, but it was a good location.

Back to the Imperial Impala Hotel and then we were on our own.

Five nights at the Peace Resort-Koh Samui. Little bungalows, said sea-facing, but we couldn't see the sea. Had some ants in the bath. It had a nice covered porch, which we used a lot because of the weather, more on that later. Large beautiful pool, nice breakfast buffet. We liked the location and it was quiet. Good recommendation from Bob and others, and we would go here again. Got on Asiarooms.com

Five nights at The Old Phuket Hotel on Karon Beach, Phuket. We really liked the location. It was on a side street and fairly quiet. We had to get the room with a big tub on the balcony, because our first choice was filled, only used it once, but the balcony we used a lot. I wouldn't get the first floor rooms because they are right on the street level. We used the large pool on the third floor a lot. Laid back atmosphere, people were nice, breakfast buffet was good. We ate our other meals at the little restaurants down the block. The beach is two minutes walk, the water was clean and beautiful. You need to rent chairs and umbrella for 100 bahts. Lots of German on two week visits here. We would definitely use this hotel again. Got on Sawadee.com

Centre Point- Silom-Bangkok. We got our three hotels, when we were on our own, from this board and we were happy with all of them. Thanks. Efficiency, large room, small kitchen area. Only thing, when you took a shower, whole bathroom got wet. The buffet was nicer than we expected from previous posts. The pool was very large and I could go shopping by just going downstairs. The hotel is down a side street, but Robinsons Dept Store is in the bottom levels. Our taxi driver didn't know where it was until I mentioned Robinsons and McDonalds out front. Called directly for reservation.

Everyone at all these places was helful and friendly. They didn't all speak a lot of English, except at the Centre Point. They were glad to see tourist and we never felt threatened anywhere we went. We traveled the sky train several times and walked around a lot. Chai did remind us several times to beware of pickpockets. You don't want to tempt anyone.

There are so many hotels it's hard to get started.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Got to our hotel about 2:30a.m. and up for 9a.m. orientation. It poured on and off our first day. Thought the rain would be over, but Chai said it was unusual. He bought umbrellas for all of us and we walked through the flower market, avoiding the puddles.

The way to the long boat, to take us to our cooking class was flooded, so on to another pier. Poor guy, he didn't know what to do with us, it was pouring so hard. We couldn't do the things planned. We spent a lot of time going down the little side channels where the locals live and through a lock to the cooking demonstration in a long boat. I don't remember the cook's name, but she put on a good show and we all enjoyed what we made, sitting on her covered deck with the rain pouring down. We then returned by more channels to another lock. We waited and waited. Found out some long boats had gotten into an accident while in the lock. We finally got through and had a nice dinner at the Impala, with the prettiest basket of fruits and goodies for dessert.

Some of my fondest memories of Bangkok are taking different rides on the river. We took several, had our last night's dinner cruise on one. Just watching all the activity pass by and the beautiful hotels, was a hilight for me.

Did the optional city tour with Chai and visited Wat Po and Recling Buddha. Because of weather, we didn't follow the tour outline exactly. That night we were on our own for dinner and DH and I went across the street to the Emporium. I think it's the fifth floor that has all the food stalls. It's quite a sight, everything from dim sum to ice cream. A few steps up they have several more restaurant like stalls. They give you a visa like card and you buy from each place and pay at the end. The Chinese stall had about 10 cooks! I had wonton soup. D.H. had pizza and beer. Not too original.

This place is a must see. There's designer shops, email place on third level. I think only the tourist buy Thai style clothes and trinkets. There was a style show being taped while we were there.

One thing, beware of the traffic when crossing streets. Look both ways very carefully. The traffic is unreal, for two lanes of traffic there would be three or four lanes of cars and motorcycles everywhere. Most people drive motorcycles, sidesaddle, two behind, pulling carts along side. I think I saw five on one motorcycle. Lots of Thais hire a motorcycle and sit side saddle to get where they need to go. It's probably the only way with the congestion. They zip in and around cars like crazy, but hey, it's their town!

Next day headed out to the Floating Market, floated there oursevles. That's quite a sight. Did a little shopping. Have to mention, we were never tempted to try the food off the streets, unless Chai got it for us. We then headed to a little restaurant by the River Kwai bridge. Have to say, I could have skipped that. It was beastly hot and all we wanted to do was get back to the air conditioned bus, where Mum, the driver, Woody's wife, was waiting with a cold washcloth. Then she would give us chilled bottled water. We really looked forward to those returns to the bus. We walked on the bridge a bit, but it was so crowded, it was kind of dangerous. One misstep and you were in the river.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

We then visited Kanchanaburi"s War Cemetery and the War museum, so many young Aussies and Brits buried there and most had sad one line messages from their loved ones.

I'm getting a bit confused here, no notes as I mentioned, but I think we took the long boat to River Kwai Resotel then. A pleasant place in the jungle. We stayed two nights. Good buffet at breakfast and dinner. The Thais must love John Denver songs. They played his songs wherever there was entertainment. I have a new appreciation for his music.

Things might be out of order, but anyhow, we went to Hell Fire Pass, where it happened to be the 60th anniversay and stayed to witness a very emotional ceremony by several of the survivors.

Another long tail speedboat ride to Paksaeng Pier. We had lunch at an open market and the best fried coconut banana with ice cream I've ever had. Yum! Tried several after and they were never as tasty.

We then took a local train ride for 30 minutes and back to the bus and back to long boat.

We did so much, it's hard to remember it all. Next day we had a long bus ride, passed many rice fields. Some got off the bus and walked out there to watch them harvesting rice. I will never look at rice as simple anymore. It's hard work, very low pay. I have a lot more appreciation for that staple. Our leader bought two fried rats from the rice field, a Thai delicacy.

More later.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Thank you for the greaty report!

I would love to hear more about your impression of the Centre Point. We are staying there in Feb. Are the rooms truly as nice as they look on the website?

Cheers!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM

That would be "great" not greaty!

Fodors, I wish we could edit our posts!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Eurotraveller,
The room we had was a tiny bit worn and closets a little musty but large as the pictures. The bath was very spacious with tub and separate shower and all done in black marble.

The public rooms were large and very nice. The breakfast room had a very nice buffet and overlooked the pool. You could also eat dinner there. On our next to last night, we couldn't find a comfortable restaurant. They were either in big hotels or street food. We didn't want either. We had noticed they have a fix price dinner, so we thought we'd give it a try. We were the only ones in the restaurant at that time. Turns out it was a four course dinner for 150 bahts. That's about $3.75 and it was one of our better meals in BKK. DH wanted to go back the next night, but we had gone to Lord Jim's for lunch and couldn't eat a bite.

We took a peek at a one bedroom and couldn't believe the size. We both thought the Centre Point Silom was a very good value and would stay there again.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Thanks, Granny!

We have a one bedroom reserved so we are excited about checking it out!

Cheers!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Day 7- After our bus ride, we boarded a rice barge and cruised past scenes of river life and people iving on the raft houses. We had lunch on the boat. On to our hotel in Phitsanulok.

Nex morning we explored Sukothai, Thailand's oldest collection of historic ruins and later visited a local school. I have to say that was a treat. Two little girls held each of my hands and showed me around their school and classrooms. They put on a little demontration of a kick exercise for us. They did not know we would be stopping, so it wasn't planned. The children all looked so cute in their uniforms. It seems all the schools are by the side of the highway and we saw so many in our travels. That night we stayed in Phrae.

Next day we were in Chiang Rai and stayed at the Golden Pine Resort. It's a bit out of the way, but a lovely spot. The rooms, pool, public rooms, meals were all very nice. A lot of package tour people are there, but we enjoyed our stay. From there we visited the Mae Salong hill tribe. Everyone was in local dress and selling something. The scenery was beautiful, but I wouldn't want to sleep there overnite. I've done a lot of camping, even out under the stars, but their mud huts were a little too primitive. It's really worth the visit to see how these people live and the incredible scenery. Bought a few crafts.

Another day we took an optional tour to Burma. We crossed the border and took a ricksaw around the border village. It's very primitive. Don't know how those people stay healthy with conditions there. Lots of sidewalk shops. Wish I had bought more, prices were so reasonable. Lots of copies of brand names. I was glad to get back to Thailand.

We took another side trip by way of the back of a truck up a rutted steep mountain road to a outdoor restaurant. Had to hang on for dear life! Lunch was wonderful and the scenery in the mountains is just memorable. Getting off the highways and beaten paths was the best part of this trip. We then went on to the Golden Triangle. A picturesque river bordered by Laos Burma and Thailand. More pictures, more shopping.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Next day we visited the small village of Mae Chan, where we had to use a songtaew taxi truck to climb the narrow mountain road, 3000 ft about sea level. Visited the Yao and Ekaw tribes, both in colorful native outfits. More shopping. Good thing we packed an extra bag.

We used so many different kinds of transportation, about 19 at last count.

We checked into the Raming Lodge Hotel and walked around. It was close to shopping and the night bazaar, but no pool. There was one main street, a block way, we actually had to hire a little truck, you hop on the back, their form of public transportation, to cross the street.

That night we joined an optional Kantoke dinner and show. Everything was fun, except I got a bunch of flea bits under the table.

Next morning we visited the Mae Ping Elephant Camp and saw the show, did the ride. I had to close my eyes a few times. We had a stubborn elephant that wanted to go his own way. Infact, he wouldn't move until we kept buying him more snacks. We crossed the river and I just hung on. So I did this ride, I don't have to do it again and I have the picture to prove it!

Chian Mai is the place to buy treasures. We have a little spirit house and I have new jade from Burma and silk scarves from the silk factory. Everyone gets their Christmas and birthday presents from our travels, whether they like it or not. Hope they do.

The night bazaar is incredible. It is a little over the top for me, too many choices. They expect you to bargain. The smells, so many people. We walked around and felt safe on our own.

Next morning, very, very early, around 6, we took a bus to offer the monks tradition Buddhist alms. I'm glad we got up to do that. You offer them food and they give you a blessing, some are very young boys. Their families send them to the temple because it's the only way they can provide them an education.

We saw so many Wats in BKK, stopping along the way, in the cities. Two stand out as different, the Crystal Palace Temple and Snow Palace Temple. I wouldn't know how to tell you where they are, but guides could.

Took an overnite train ride back to BKK. Could feel the rails, but it was fun. Had a box dinner. Back at the Imperial Impala Hotel, same room, felt like home after so many different hotels.

Spent the day at the Grand Palace and trying to see some of the other sights we had missed before because of the rain.

After a final dinner cruise on the river, so beautiful with the lights and traffic, it was time for our tour to end and say goodbye. Everyone was heading home early next morning, but DH and I were just starting our 12 days on our own and sleeping in.

Knew I would forget something special. When we were at the Golden Pine Resort, they were starting to celebrat the Festival of Light. We lit these paper balloons and watched them soar into the sky. We put these little flower offerings in the water and made a wish and watched the fireworks.

When we got to Chiang Mai, the whole city was celebrating. There were hundreds of these paper balloons filling the sky with light, fireworks everywhere, I mean everywhere, and the river was filled with flowers and candles floating on the water. What a treat. So glad we got to see one of their special days, but alas, our pictures didn't really do justice to the occasion.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

That's flea bites!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM

great report....sounds like you really liked it....but wow they really kept you moving....i could never do it....

bob
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:23 AM
pat

Hi Granny, I remember reading your trip report on Croatia, before I went. Now I`m enjoying your report on Thailand. Do you think it was worth it to do such a short time in Myammar?
My friend went for a drink at the Oriental several years ago, in BKK. I think I read somewhere you can`t do that anymore if you are not a guest. Do you know? Was the skytrain easy to use and not too confusing? Think I would pass on the rat, but the banana coconut concoction sounds wonderful. Was it too much time on the bus?
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Granny
Enjoyed your report. It sounds like you had a great time. I agree with Bob that I could not be shuttled around from place to place, constantly on the move, with a group. I've done group tours before and have enjoyed them, but the heat and humidity in Thailand and SE Asia would get to me. I'll bet you were especially thankful that you had those extra 12 days on your own, and at your own pace.

So... are you planning your NEXT trip back?

Carol
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

ttp
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM

yes you can go into the oriental and look around and have a drink or a meal...they sometimes screen people who are not dressed appropriately: short shorts etc...
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

This is strange. I wrote a reply to both Pat and Carol and it's there when I hit "Preview my reply" but it doesn't show up under "Granny's trip", etc. I hestitate to rewrite my comments and have it show up, so Pat and Carol, if you click on my name and this title and go to "p m r" you'll see what I wrote you, at least I think you will.

The short version is Pat, one morning in Myanmar was enough for me. The sky train was fun. The oriental wouldn't let me in with shorts, but next day in a skirt, we enjoyed the Lord Jim's lunch buffet.

Carol-our next trip could be 3 weeks in French gites.

More later.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

We flew Bangkok air to Koh Samui for a 5 night relaxing time at the beach. Turned out to be not what we expected. It was sunny when we landed, but soon turned overcast and windy, but it was still warm. We should have walked on the beach then, because it was too windy the rest of the time.

We enjoyed the pool at the Peace Resort and I really enjoyed the Thai massage I had at the water's edge, $5 plus tip.

We went the first night to the Happy Elephant restaurant and we had a great meal with cocktails and wine for about $40. We picked out a small whole snapper. We had a seat by the window and could watch the waves break and flow under the restaurant. Glad we went when we did. The weather and waves got rougher as the days passed.

The little restaurant right at the entrance to Peace Resort had some good Thai inexpensive food. It was usually crowded at dinner. My DH and I both tried the duck and it was very good. One night I tried the soft shell crab. Not like I remember from the Jersey shore.

We saw most of the sites the first couple days and good thing, the hour afternoon rain because whole day. Our 4th day it poured, I think Saumi got about 24 inches of rain in 24 hours. We walked about with umbrellas Peace provided and watched water coming down the hills like rivers. Autos had difficulty getting through the deep water in low spots. Our electicity went out the 5th night and we thought we'd go hungry but Peace Resort has gas ranges and we had a lovely meal with crepes for dessert and wine. The outside diningroom had a heavy plastic curtain on the water side or this would have been impossible. Anyway, the lights did come on and we packed up.

Peace called a bus for us. Our taxi didn't show up. What we thought was a bad storm, turned out to be the tail end of a typhoon! We didn't realize how bad it had been until we rode to the airport. Roads were practically washed out in spots,1000 people slept at the airport last night, the airport had been closed and the island was declared an emergency. I guess Peace is on a little higher ground. We heard all kinds of stories at the airport. Some people waded through water up to their neck to get to the road and Chaweng got it pretty bad.

We were hoping for some sun at our next stop. We flew to Phuket and Karon Beach. The hotel was fine, a good location and we both enjoyed the beach across the street. I was really surprised how clean the water was, but I did look every once in awhile to see if the water was receding.

We ate most dinners at the little restaurants on the street our hotel was on. Gundells down the block had this incredible rib steak, that my vegetable eating husband tasted, and had on our last night.

We did go to The Boathouse, which was recommended here. We sat on the deck and watched the sunset. I had the fixed price Thai and my DH had the fixed price French, with a bottle of wine about $120. My DH is still talking about the presentation. Guess I didn't do my homework. I thought it was a casual place on the beach. Got a taxi there and it was a lot more upscale than I thought. I was wearing shorts. They asked if we had reservations. No, but we could have a table until the 8:30 reservation showed up. That was fine with us, it was only 6. We had the best table in the house.

Someone came over and asked if we were from such and such island. Turns out they were a couple from our golf club and the only Americans we had seen in days. Small world.

The dinner was special and found out our friends said they went back a second time.

We tried this little Thai restaurant in Kata that's up a hill, about 45 steps. It's called the Kampon-Kata Hill. It's a wonderful place filled with antiques. We had such a nice dinner there and with some wine and beer apetizer, 2 entres, plus 2 desserts it was about $25. That's a nice little town and it has two good restaurants, probably more. I wish we had been able to try the beach there. We met someone that was staying at the Club Med in Kata, they have most of the beach there, and they said C.M was a great value. Don't know.

Our last night there, the heavens opened up again and we were stuck in the internet shop across from the hotel. Thunder and lightning and you guessed it, the electricity went out again on our last night. Luckily for us, Gundells was right across the street and we got our umbrellas and made a dash during a lull. We were able to sit outside under an awning and had candlelight again for our last dinner here. Don't snicker. We had cheese pizza for an apetizer. It is so so good here and that ribsteak covered in a wine sauce. Yum. I think we had a banana split for dessert. We're terrible.

Back to Bangkok next day. We had a 3 trip Bangkok air ticket. Worked out well.

We had this crazy taxi driver. I had to shut my eyes a couple times. He jumped in front of several cars. Said he only jumped in front of real expensive ones, because they would stop and let him in. Small comfort. We were glad to see the hotel.

As I said before, the Centre Point Silom is a good value. We wanted to stay in two different areas.

We didn't really have a whole lot of time. We rode back on the sky train to pick up a suitcase we had left at the last hotel, walked around and spent some time in the pool there.

Left at 3a.m. for a 6a.m. flight back to Seattle.

It was a good trip and we both enjoyed it more than expected. Hope we get back there again.

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
pat

granny, would you email me at [email protected]? I have more questions for you, as we are thinking of taking the OAT trip. pat
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:35 PM

great report....sorry the peace resort was so wet but guess it was a good choice from your water description...

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob, for the Peace Resort suggestion. I don't remember if you were the one that mentioned the Happy Elephant restaurant. We got all three hotel ideas from this board and three restaurant suggestions. They all worked at well. My husband laughed at my spending so much time on Fodor's, but he was happy with all my choices.

Did you say you were going to France next year?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -