Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt, Shanghai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/grand-hyatt-shanghai-163601/)

jop Jan 13th, 2003 11:16 AM

Grand Hyatt, Shanghai?

Has anyone stayed at this hotel on the executive floors. Any comments about rooms, service, food etc. would be appreciated. Also recommendations for other upscale hotels in the city. Thanks.

AHS Jan 13th, 2003 01:18 PM

Haven't stayed at the Grand Hyatt, but the Ritz Carlton, JC Mandarin, Jing Jiang and Okura Garden Hotel are upscale and superior.

Peter N-H Jan 13th, 2003 02:22 PM

Rooms large and modern, with plenty of glass, chrome and polished wood, twin glass sinks in the bathrooms, dressing area, proper glass-walled shower cubicle, floor to ceiling plate glass windows with dizzying views (when smog abates). Restaurants ring one floor. The Italian and Cantonese are both excellent, there's also a Japanese and an American grill, if I remember correctly. The Grand Caf&eacute; is at the base of the 33-storey atrium, and views up are thus slightly dizzying, too--highly impressive in fact. There's nothing like it anywhere else in China, or most of the rest of the world either--it's quite dazzling, as is looking down the atrium from one of the higher floors.<BR><BR>Service was fine with the hotel opened--better than most in China, and seemed to have maintained standards last time I stayed there. It's best never to expect too much on that front anywhere in China.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed at quite so many hotels in Shanghai as I have in much of the rest of the country, but if I were going to Shanghai tomorrow I'd stay in the GH again. If it were in Beijing I'd choose it over many of the five star hotels there, too.<BR><BR>The location is on the Pudong side, right next to the mouth of the tunnel to Puxi, and right on top of a metro station. Or you can walk five minutes to one of the ancient ferry services.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Patty Jan 13th, 2003 02:28 PM

There are several reviews of the Hyatt in the 'rants and raves' section of this site. You can also do a search on this board for comments. <BR><BR>I don't think anyplace else in Shanghai quite compares to the facilities &amp; views at the Hyatt. The rooms (get a Bund view) and service have been excellent when we've stayed on the Regency Club level. I've dined in the main (buffet) restaurant, Club Jin Mao, and the Grill - all were very good but expensive. We usually just have breakfast and a light dinner in the RC lounge. It's a busy hotel though especially in the evening as lots of non-hotel guests frequent their restaurants, bars, and nightclub. <BR><BR>I also really like the St. Regis but the location is farther east in Pudong and there aren't any views. It's a much quieter (very different in atmosphere from the Hyatt), elegant hotel with nice spa facilites, a large pool, and tennis court. The ground floor restaurant, Saints, offers excellent breakfast and lunch buffets. All rooms have access to the lounge which offers complimentary cocktails/hors d'oeuvres in the early evening. Your butler will bring coffee/tea to your room anytime.<BR><BR>Other hotels in the same category would be the Portman Ritz Carlton and newly opened Four Seasons. The Westin, also newly opened, is aiming to compete on the same level. All three are on the Puxi side if that is where you prefer to stay.

Patty Jan 13th, 2003 02:40 PM

Forgot to mention... if you plan to dine at the Hyatt's restaurants or have a drink at the lounge on the top floor (or any of the lounges for that matter), have the concierge at the desk right outside of the Regency Club lounge make advance reservations for you as everything here gets really busy at night (it's almost an attraction in and of itself). If you're staying on the club level, you can also check-in at this desk bypassing the lobby front desk.

jop Jan 13th, 2003 07:17 PM

Thank you all for your comments. From all you've said I think the Hyatt would be a good choice.<BR>Question for Peter N-H. You said that you have stayed in many hotels throughout the country. Was wondering if you have recently stayed at the China World in Beijing. We were at that hotel 6 years ago and found it very good but would like to know if it still offers nice accommodations and good service. Will need to book a hotel in Beijing as well for the trip. Thanks.

Peter N-H Jan 13th, 2003 08:22 PM

Was just in the China World a few weeks ago, but didn't stay, although a colleague of mine did (I just had a very pleasant evening eating at Aria, still one of Beijing's best restaurants). He described the rooms as a little narrow, but very modern, with glass-topped desks and Asian art on the walls. The hotel is just completing a $30 million renovation, so it may be a little different from how you remember it, but very likely better. Certainly the Shangri-La group (which manages the hotel) seems to be very good at getting Chinese staff to understand the meaning of service. <BR><BR>I don't know if the China World would be my first choice in Beijing, but that may be because I've never actually stayed there, whereas I have stayed at a lot of its competitors.<BR><BR>Sorry, that's probably not very helpful.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

jop Jan 14th, 2003 08:36 AM

For Peter N-H,<BR>Thank you for your reply. I find your comments very helpful. It sounds like the China World is still a very good Hotel. We did receive good service at the time we stayed there. From the other hotels you have stayed at, which would you recommend in Beijing at the present time?

Peter N-H Jan 14th, 2003 10:00 AM

The Kerry Centre (very near China World and also Shangri-La managed, very modern, good service), the new Grand Hyatt in the Oriental Plaza at Dong Chang'an Jie and Wangfujing (unbeatable location, excellent design, very grand public areas, both modern and comfortable, best breakfast), the Marco Polo at Xi Dan (more of a boutique feel, and relatively undiscovered as of yet, so nice and quiet, too). See www.shangri-la.com, hyatt.com, and www.marcopolohotels.com respectively. The Palace has been much discussed here, and is also excellent, although its rooms are a little more conventional than the ones listed above. It's a notch above others of its kind, however in terms of amenities both in-room and out.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

John G Jan 14th, 2003 11:02 AM

I stayed there and I thought the service was awful. The hotel is too big, pretentious, and noisy. It reminds me of what Prince Charles said of Princess Michael of Kent: &quot;Far too grand for the likes of us.&quot;

Patty Jan 14th, 2003 11:28 AM

Don't forget to consider the St. Regis in Beijing. It was the best hotel that I've stayed at in Beijing (although I haven't stayed at too many other Beijing hotels, only China World and Sheraton).<BR><BR>John G,<BR>Which hotel are your referring to? The Grand Hyatt Shanghai or one of the many hotels in Beijing that's being mentioned here?

jop Jan 14th, 2003 11:39 AM

Thanks again for all your replies. Looks like there are a lot to choose from in Beijing. I will check out some of the hotel websites and have a look.

AHS Jan 16th, 2003 11:40 AM

Peter: Do you have any recent info on the Beijing Tien Lun Dynasty at Wangfujing? We stayed there 4 years ago , great location and the staff were extremely helpful. Don't see much info on it, heard they have gone through a remodeling a couple of years ago. Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>

Peter N-H Jan 16th, 2003 05:34 PM

I haven't been inside the Tianlun Dynasty for a while, but I don't think I would pay money to stay there. If you are going for four- and five-star hotels the only serious choices are proper Sino-foreign joint-ventures. These, too, will not deliver quite the levels of service they manage elsewhere, but they'll come closer to it than any others will. The Chinese supposed four- and five-stars will charge you the same as the joint-ventures, but in general that will be the only similarity you'll find.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html