Gpandas' Hong Kong Trip Report

Sep 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Gpandas' Hong Kong Trip Report

Flight of Continental, BOS-EWR-HKG was good. Beth slept a lot and I a little. Easy Immigration and right into a Taxi. The driver was pleasant and talkative. 320 HKD to the Coutyard Marriott on HK Island. Check in was smooth to an executive club room on 32nd floor. Good view of the western portion of HK harbor. Beds comfy, A/C worked well and shower was great. Much better than any Courtyard I've ever been in.

There was a gift package waiting fo us rom a Fodorite and we felt at home. Fodors is great. The Asia Forum truly is a community.

Up early next day, breakfast at the lounge and attempted to figure out a slow start to our adventure. I'm on double chemo for q few days, so don't want unrealistic expectations.

A pox on those who thought I would be late in starting my report.
Sep 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Good deal. No penalties.
A Marriott convert ? Next you'll tell us is that you'll be moving to Needham. HA!
Have a great time.
Sep 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM

So glad to read that you're traveling. Have fun!
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Keep it coming. Haven't been there since 1984 - still part of the British colonies at that time.
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM

panda... I hope you and Beth have a fabulous time!! Thanks for 'taking us along with you' (via fodors, of course). Do enjoy enjoy enjoy!
Carol (see you in BOS)
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM

I'm glad to hear you've arrived safely.

This Marriott Courtyard has 32 floors? Not like any courtyard I've ever seen!
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Well, you've been there a good 24 hours already. Any food report? Any soup dumplings yet? Peking duck surely? Have a great time.
Sep 18th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Report is noted and acknowledged.

If you haven't found a place to watch Pats-Jets, I am sure that the game can be blogged in this thread.
Sep 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I don't think the nay-sayers were necessarily doubting if this report would begin in a timely manner, but if it would be periodically updated or would conclude in a timely manner. And of course the jury is still out on that!

BC
Sep 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM

YOU CALL THIS A REPORT????
Sep 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Hope this is the start of a fun filled and well deserved holiday.
Sep 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Of course we're thrilled you made it there and are about to embark on another adventure. That said, I wait with baited breath for your section of the trip report on the Hong Kong outlet of Pizza Hut.

Have a great trip...both of you!
Sep 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM

Bravo for starting on time Andy- hope ALL those guide books prove handy!
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

After breakfast, we took the tram to Admiralty walked up to the skywalk and went into Pacific Plaza. Upscale retail, but air conditioned. Walked through Hong Kong Park, which was delightful, to the Peak Tram. Up the funicular we went and into a mall. WE walked a long hot way down Lugard St, but it was very hazy and the views were obscured. Trudged back and walked down Findlay Road to a brief overlook. Again the view was very hazy. We were dripping and cooled off in the mall to reverse back to the hotel.

I know it's heresy, but we were not impressed with the Peak. Tooday had the best forecasr and we could hardly see anything. It was hot, humid and uncomfortable. Very tiring.

The tram was great. Both ways. It moves at a slow speed and the street life is easy to observe. Rain the next two days, so we may spend some time taking the entire ride.

Quick showers back at the hotel and Beth popped out to bring us some food. Potstickers, cream filled Bao and some ham and ceese something. Plus, a grapefruit Manao soda, which I don't like as much as the lemon-lime.
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Andy- I like the views from the peak (when you can see) but i wasn't a fan when they built the "mall" type thing at the top. The tram ride is cute though.
Glad you are doing plenty of things in HK, those malls are AMAZING. The shopping in HK is great (Shanghai Tang on Pedder and Lane Crawford are my 2 favourites)
Looking forward to updates.
N
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:53 AM

It’s not heresy to say you don’t like the Peak on a day like today, as temps are about 96F, it’s fairly humid and worst of all, the air pollution is very bad. About the worse we have had this summer, when skies have been very clear otherwise. I could not see the harbour from my house on the Peak. A small bit of this is caused by a typhoon sitting to the north east which tends to cause all the air pollution coming from the PRC to just sit over us, but really 95% of it is just awful air pollution.

On a good day, the views are great. Try to get up on evening as the city lights make it through the pollution and the view is actually better.

I can give you an address to write to the Tourism Board to tell them you are not coming back unless the air pollution situation improves. Tell the hotel as well. Better yet, tell the Tourism Board that you are going to go to Singapore as the air is clear there…that really scares the heck out of the tourism people!

Glad you liked the mooncakes!
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:29 AM

Gpanda, sometimes stuff happens. I went to the top of the Washington monument once and was, from the sound of your report, as underwhelmed as you were. Pity, but it happens. Glad other elements of your trip are progressing smoothly, and looking forward to hearing more from you.

BC
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Sorry to hear about the air pollution obscuring the view. When we were on the Peak in Nov., the views were clear and lovely. I think it is just great that you are able to take this trip and be active enough to walk the Peak. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Stay well. See you at Similian's at the Boston GTG where you can entertain us with your Hong Kong adventures (and muscle tricks?)
Sep 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM

I haven't been a fan of The Peak since they turned it into a shopping mall 15 years ago or so, even when the air is crystal clear.Yeah, the view can be terrific, but only if you have no peripheral vision.

HK Park is easily one of my favorite places in the island when I want to chill out & do nuthin. Hang out by the fish & turtle pond and watch land and water-based creatures do their things. Often various weddings are going on, with the mandatory photo stuff taking place in that area.
Sep 19th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Did you see all the phillapino maids on their day off today, covering all the walk ways etc? I was amazed at the sight of them all chatting, knitting etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO