Good Bangkok hotel for solo woman advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to spend 2 days in Bangkok on a stopover coming from a 2 week Vietnam tour.

I was in Bangkok 4 years ago and stayed at the Peninsula, also for just a couple of days. So it is almost like my first time there .

Now as I am travelling alone ( I am in my early 50s) and am more interested in doing some sightseeing and shopping and then go to the hotel and relax by the pool I was thinking of staying in a more central area.

Could you please advise me on 4 or 5* hotels ( I don't mind paying more for a good hotel)with good breakfasts, good restaurants, nice pool, nice rooms and central?

I would like to stay at the Marriott Riverside ( that's the kind of hotel I like) but it is far from it all and I have little time.I also don't like the kind of large chain city hotels that look all the same.

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

It depends on what you mean by central. If you want to be in the Sukhumvit area which is central for shopping, there are many nice hotels: the Four Seasons and the Hyatt, in particular come to mind. But for seeing the Wats, I much prefer to be on the river, where I can take the water taxi. When I want to shop, I can catch the skytrain. If you want the convenience of the Skytrain plus the atmosphere of the river and the convenience to the water taxis, you can't beat the Shangri-La. It's om teh river, and right next to the Skytrain.

I've not stayed there, but a number of Fodorites have, and there is a specific wing they recommend. If you do a search, I know you'll find recommendations.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I travel to BKK twice a year or more, sometimes solo (female, early 60's). Since I love to shop, I prefer to stay in the Sukhumvit area, within walking distance to some of my favorite shopping places, and just a short walk to the skytrain to get to other places of interest.

As a solo female traveler, I've stayed at the Majestic Grande and the Bangkok Holiday Inn Ploenchit. It is very hard to beat the Hol Inn location (the Hyatt is right across the street and the Four Seasons is just around the corner). Majestic Grande is nice but a little farther to walk to/from the skytrain. Sometimes a bit tiresome when I have my hands full of shopping bags... lol

You have plenty of options in the Sukhumvit area, just as Kathie has said. I prefer Suk over a riverside location since I'm in BKK to shop and see friends. I have stayed at the Oriental and Pen in past years.

I should mention that I now try to stay in serviced apartments rather than hotel rooms. I like having the extra space. But since you are there for only a couple of days, you should be fine in a hotel.

Carol
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM

We always stay on the river. It's an oasis in the midst of the frenzy that is BKK. It's easy to get to the shopping locations. Take a ferry to taksin Pier and the Skytrain from there. If you buy a lot, just take a taxi back to the hotel. Make sure you carry a few cards from the hotel to give to the taxi drivers.

If you want Sukhumvit, take a look at the Sheraton Sukhumvit.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM

I think that you should check the EMPORIUM SUITES. It is a lovely place and a great location. You have the skytrain within a few meters and a beautiful park across where you can enjoy an early walk. Enjoy...
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up on Emporium Suites and the Sukhumvit area. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM

the marriott is of course my first choice along with the penn but i understand wanted to be more central for only 2 days...

so....nei lert has a fabulous pool and is right next to the british embassy and very central

the jw marriott is good too

slightly cheaper are the majestic grande and the new marriott courtyard

the four seasons and the hyatt are good alternatives and in the same area i will try the plaza anthanee this spring...

the sheraton grande might meet your needs perfectly and it has direct access to the skytrain...its right on sukhumvit and could not be more central...

the conrad is very nice as well and would meet your criteria...
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Another vote for the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Walk out the front door and the Sky Train is right there. Very nice jazz starting at 5pm each day in the Library too!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help! I am going to check the Sheraton ( I am a SPG), the Emporium Suites and the Magestic.

I already checked the Four Seasons but it seems very posh ( and expensive for Bangkok) and I want to feel at ease .

Just 1 more question: Doesn't the Marrott have a boat to take us to the other side of the river to catch the Skytrain like the Peninsula does?

Thank you all again for the wonderful advice

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

I meant the Marriott, not the Marrott, lol!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM

If you have Starwood points, the Royal Orchid Sheraton, on the river, is a better points bargain for 3-4000 points per night than the Sheraton Grande for 7000 points per night.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM

I like the Intercontinental Hotel on Chitlom. Its very centrally located and the BTS stop is right there.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:29 AM

I'd go with either the Hyatt, InterContinental, or Holiday Inn. They are all in the same location: not only are they at a SkyTrain station, but thay're all just a few steps from very good shopping locations. While the Sheraton & Westin Sukhumvit locations are also at the SkyTrain, the area around those hotels is not especially inviting.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM

As a sometimes solo female traveler, I agree totally with rizzuto and borgo. I'd forgotten that I stayed at the Intercon (when it was Le Meridien) back in 2002. Nice hotel, and YES, the location is fantastic!!! As is the Hol Inn and the Hyatt.

My preference would still be the Hol Inn Ploenchit. The room I had was spacious and had plenty of light. I had just come from the Majestic Grande, where I thought the room was dark, very dark.

Carol
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Tere, yes the Marriott and all of the other river hotels have a boat to take you to the skytrain station. The Marriott is farther away from teh Skytrain than any of the others.

The Royal Orchid Sheraton is my home in Bangkok. I always stay in the Towes, where breakfast, evening canapes and cocktails (enough for a meal) and laundry (up to 6 pieces per person per day) are all included in the price.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM

i think the most important point thing is to have easy access to the skytrain.....all the river hotels provide this as do several of the in town hotels....

for less expensive you might want the bangkok holiday inn plenochit or the marriott courtyard or the majestic grande....

the sheraton grande and nei lert have the best pool areas in town central..
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM

re best pool in city center:

I've stayed at both the Hyatt and Sheraton, and I found the Hyatt pool area to be far superior. It was renovated 2-3 years ago (along with the spa) and is amazing for a center-city location.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your suggestions. To tell you the truth the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is the kind of hotel I was looking for but it seems to me the area of Pathumwan is more pleasant and next to the places I would like to go ( markets, Jim Thompson's House).

I also like the other Sheraton on the riverside. I will have to study these options but I think I will forget the Marriott Riverside. If I come from shopping full of bags it will be harder for me to get there and I will loose more time.

Can you please advise me on the best markets to go? Is the night market safe for a solo woman?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Will you be there on a weekend? If so, you might consider the weekend market, Chatuchak (or JJ Market as it is sometimes called).

If not, then yes, SuanLum Night Bazaar would be fine for you. Plenty of shopping and a large food and entertainment area as well.

If you like the Pathumwan area, what about staying at Pathumwan Princess hotel, above MBK mall? It gets good reviews. Siam Novotel is also close by. I've stayed in very clean/cheap apartments/studios at a place called Patumwan House, but it does not have a pool.

Or there is the new Siam@Siam Hotel. More of a boutique place. It's down by the soi to the J T house.

Carol
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Carol, I saw the Siam@siam at it looks very nice. Would you recommend it?

I also liked the Conrad Bangkok but don't know if its location is good.

Thanks for your information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -