currency exchange & Eating

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Singapore for our 26th anniversary in Feb, our travel agent suggests not using ATM cards because of the possibility of scams, and has suggested either taking AU$ with us or exchanging it with them prior to going I think their exchange from memory is about $1.11 SIG but will have to check it out, what do others advise.

Also, we are staying at the Hotel Phoenix on Orchard Road, what do others think of it?

Food wise, we have been to Singapore before but did it the expensive way last time, this time we want to experience more of the Chinatown type food, and wondering if there is much like that around Orchard Road, as we haven't had the time to get there before, we spent a lot of time in Clarke Quay, Chinatown and a quick dash through Little India, this time, we want to experience our trip more in line with a different atmosphere. We love Chinatown but found Clark Quay a bit on the expensive side for dining. Suggestions would be appreciated please.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM

>>>>>
suggests not using ATM cards because of the possibility of scams, and has suggested either taking AU$ with us or exchanging it with them prior to going
>>>>>>

i think he was trying to get you to exchange it with them as they make a lot on this. i would not be afraid of bank's ATMs in singapore.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM

use atm's!!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Whether or not to use ATM's depends on YOUR bank's charges for using them overseas. Some (USA) banks charge a fairly hefty fee (mine charges $5 + 1%) for ATM use, which can make them more expensive than travelers checks.

IF using an ATM proves expensive, then bring cash in large bills with you and change them at any of the exchanges in Singapore.

There's Chinese food all around Singapore. It's everywhere.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM

First, find out what charges you may incur, if any, when using your ATM card to get cash. I use a Visa check card to get cash (and not to charge things) and a credit card to charge things (and not to get cash). This applies when I am at home or abroad.

I wonder if your TA would advise you to not use your ATM when you visit Sydney or Perth. You could be subject to an ATM or cc scam at home! Why would a person think that an ATM would be riskier to use in Singapore (or Bangkok or New York or Dublin or ...) than wherever they are from?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:45 AM

As you are staying at the Phoenix:
Take the exit from the hotel lobby that leads into the Mall and turn left, this takes you past shops to Orchard Road. As you pass those shops before steeping down to Orchard Road you have a bank on your left ( with ATM's ) but if you are concerned in any way you can always go into that bank and go to the cashier to run your card thru 'their' machine.
I have no idea how that affects charges though. But that does give you that extra security if you 'feel' you want it, as you should still be able to 'sign' and get your copy. There should be no problem using ATMs in Singapore at all but if you want that extra peace of mind for whatever reason the service 'is' available, same with banks most places.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Deb, I see we are talking AUD here.
In my experience the exchange rates in Australia were loussy compared with SEA. The times I have looked at the rates there for Baht / SGD the rates were not good at all !!
You can easily changed AUD when you get to Changi either before going down to Immigration or once past, easy.

Who are you flying with ?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

James,
Thanks for the reply re: exchanging money at Airport, will talk with hubby about that one, we hadn't given that a thought, would be a good idea.

We noted that the current exchange rate is $1.20 SD for $1 AU which seems a pretty good rate right now.

We are flying with Singapore Airlines.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM

For good and reasonably price food. Check out my favourite food blog.

http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/

Old Airport Road Temp Food Centre

This is a short 5-10 min drive away from Geylang Serai (Malay Village) Lots of high recommended food can be found here. Well known to taxi drivers. There's an excellent chilli crab. Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so the owners can prepare their stupendous chilli sauce. Place is called Mattar Road Seafood.

Maxwell Food Centre

Highly rated particularly the chicken rice. Short walk from Chinatown.

Tiong Bahru Market

10 min drive from Chinatown. Excellent food. Not in radar screen for most tourists. Crowded particularly during weekends as this place attracts folks from all over Singapore.

Newton Circus - give it a miss. Caters to tourists and the folks having supper after a night at the clubs in Orchard Road. I have not visited the place in years.

Search for Aston's in the blog. Wagyu beef steak at S$40. Real bargain.
Check out for eBlackboard as well. Both excellent values.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

KMLoke
Thanks so much for your info, am looking at the blog addy you sent me, this is the type of thing we needed before leaving, so we are more informed when arriving this time. We have missed out on so much in our previous trips to Singapore this time we want to experience more of the local atmosphere. Thanks heap for your help. It is heartfelt appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Deb, we also stayed at Phoenix. In the lobby, near the elevators, there is a pastry shop with very good sandwiches, pastries, etc. After 5 p.m. each day, they sell all the products at 50 % price.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM

This would be useful. There's several suggested DIY food tours.

http://www.makansutra.com/events/ssfm2006.html