Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Golf in Hua Hin- Need your advise Hanuman & other Thailand experts

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan for golfing in Hua Hin next Feb (2014) has snowballed.Threatening to turn into an avalanche.In other words,our modest 4-ball( couldn't keep it quiet) has grown into a large group of avid golfers(from different countries) & not sure where its going to end.The general consensus is 4N/5Ds including travel dates,2 rounds of golf,with a free day in between, played in the two best courses in Hua Hin.
All inclusive!!

All this is beyond me to organize.So need your help.

A good/reliable travel agent in Hua Hin / Bangkok /Thailand to help me with costs and logistics.

The two best/scenic/challenging courses in Hua Hin (heard about Black Mountain and Banyan) .

Will get back for more info.Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Hi,

IMO you have chosen the two best courses in Hua Hin already - Black Mountain & Banyan. Black Mountain is a mountain course but not that hard. One or two par 4 holes can be reach from the tee, if you cut across the dog leg. Banyan is a lot more challenging, with hard to read greens and windy conditions. For 1 par 3 hole I normally need a 3 wood to reach the green but then again I am not a long hitter.

I'm a 12 handicap golfer and to give you an idean on the two courses my score for Black Mountain is usually around my handicap but for the Banyan I normally score 15 or 16 over.

To help you control the cost, guest green fee for weekday should not exceed 2,500 per person and this include caddy and cart. For weekends and holiday expect to pay a bit more. For accommodation I highly suggest that you stay on the main stretch of beach, the same beach where the Intercontinental Hotel, Grand Hyatt etc are located. Perhaps you can email the hotel asking for a group rate and ask if they will be able to assist you with tee time and course fee. Don't let them persuade you to play on another course.

The nearest thing to a link course in Hua Hin belong to the army but their course is a bit easy with wide fairways, and not many hazard. One hole fron the sea and often your ball will land on a real beach!

Enjoy and let me know if you need further assistant.

I do see a lot of vans around Hua Hin advertising travel agency specifically for golfing. I am afraid I don't know of them and thus cannot help with this.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Can U recommend a nice course in BKK or there abouts?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Bangkok courses I like:

Navatanee
Supapruek
Lam Luk Ka
Royal
Legacy
Bangkok Golf Club (not sure how it is after the flood)
Royal Gems Dream Arena Course (haven't played, but sounds good
Laem Chabaeng (near Pattaya)
Siam Country Club (near Pattaya)
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Thanks. I would have to cab it and rent clubs. I suppose the concierge could help with that.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Good list by Bisbeee and to add to that checkout these courses, some hosting major tournaments as well:

Amata Spring Country Club.
Thai Country Club.
Alpine Golf Club.
* all the above are just on the outskirts of Bangkok and considered very good,

For courses that are IN Bangkok:
Rajapruek Golf Club
Royal Bangkok Sport Club
However, These courses don't normally allow non member.

Most club houses at the courses I've mentioned will rent out clubs and shoes.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks H for the tips. I'll look at them. It would be fun to play golf in Thailand. I have played in New Delhi and a few places in the Caribbean and in Fiji as well as Mexico. Maybe I can get a medallion for my bag.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM

If you are able to get in only 1 course around Bangkok I suggest Amata: http://www.amataspring.co.th/web/
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM

That looks very nice. I'll contact them. Thanks!

Larry
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman.Great info.Now its taken a rather weird turn.The 'Golfing group' has turned into a motley crowd,a lot of golfers intend to travel with families.The 'crowd' has swelled to over 60 and I'm beginning to experience panic attacks.Its not my kinda scene.
My plan now is to hand over the reins and ease myself out of the situation and find an excuse to avoid the holiday altogether.
A lesson well learnt.Silence is indeed golden !!
Thx once again.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 10:09 AM

inquest: Wise decision! Similar thing happened to me, I don't play but I'm familiar with golf courses in China and was asked to organize/accompany a golfing group including several couples. Before long the weird turn happened with the families' main interests being sightseeing, shopping, etc. so I suggested a few travel agents for them to contact. In the end the trip was aborted.