Golden Traingle to Luang Prabang

Sep 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Golden Traingle to Luang Prabang

In planning my first trip to Thailand and wanting to visit LP as mentioned on this site, I found a cruise on the Mekong from Houei Say to LP from ([email protected]). She was reccomended by Anantara GT.

Speaking of Anantara. I am booked there for several days and was looking at the cost of the cooking class and Elephant Expedition. Can the price rally be $840.00 for a cooking class? Can I get a class through one of the guides that I have read about?

Lizz
Sep 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM

I can't imagine where the price for a cooking class would be $840. It would be $100 max, and likely less. Where did you find that price?

There are a number of boat trips from Thailand to Luang Prabang, and they range in price from under US$50 to several hundred dollars. Some are highly recommended, some are not (the speedboat is widely considered unsafe).
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM

There are basically four type of boats that you can take from Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang.

Speedboat - not recomended unless you like travelling at 70mph, feeling every wave bump and like listening to the ear piercing engine noise.

Slow boat - takes two days with overnight stop at Pakbeng (lousy town) and boat is not that comfortable. Young people think it is great at around $25.

Day Boat - The Naga. The boat has upholstered reclining seats, spotless bathroom, and an excellent staff. Lunch and snacks are servered along with drinks. Cost $60-80

Luxury cruise - two days with overnight stay. Boat really no better than the Naga. Cost around $400. Pretty hard to justify that in my opinion unless you have money to burn.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Okay...it sure pays to ask and thank you Kathie & Scotters. I will cancel my ovenight boat trip and take the Naga Day Boat....do you have the link for me to book this?

I read the price for the cooking class on the website....I may be mistaken and I will revisit based on your comment.

Thanks
Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

Liz, I looked at the Anantara website and couldn't find a price for the cooking classes. So look again. The cooking classes are great! We were the first people to take their cooking class after they opened. All of the management looked in on our class (just the two of us) to make sure things were going well.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM

For the Naga check this site which gives contact information.
http://travel-laos.net/

I notice that the price has gone up quite a bit after October to around $113
Sep 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Scotters....how long ago did you go on the $400.00 2 day boat trip? I was reading on Tripadvisors and most of the people loved it.....I am still trying to decide what to do.

Cooking class came through with my confirmation and it's around $100.00, will take the class!

Thanks
Sep 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM

$100 makes much more sense for the cooking class.