Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Going to Vietnam in 15 days. Any suggestions?

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going Vietnam in November and was wondering if anyone out there has stayed in any of these hotels;
Saigon- Caravelle & Rex
Hanoi- Sofitel.

Also , if anyone has recently been to Vietnam, if they have any suggestions on great, new restaurants. I am interested in only eating Vietnamese food.

Thanks-!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM

I was in Hanoi a couple of years ago and stayed at the Metropole the week after Christmas. It was magic!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

We also like the Sofitel Metropole. They have a lovely little shop at the rear of the hotel with some of the finest sweets in Vietnam. If you are visiting Hoi An do not miss Kimijan Restaurant at 30 Nguyen Thai Hoc in Hoi An town. Best Viet/French food in a gorgeous little terrace house. Also Miss Ly Cafe at 22 Nyugen Hue has fab white roses and won-tons. We thought Brother's Cafe was way overpriced but a great venue on the river and nice for a beer.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM

very good shopping in the old section of town of hanoi...also some good restaurants...
hang gai street was particularily good for tableclothes and embroidered stuff
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:40 PM

Don't miss the Cha Ca La Vong restaurant in Hanoi. It's in Cha Ca Street, in the Ancient Quarter, and serves only one dish - surprise, it's called Cha Ca, a very flavoursome local fish speciality. Not big on ambience but the dish is great.

Koto, near the Temple of Literature, is a nice little place worth patronising because it recruits and trains street kids in hospitality. There's another place doing the same thing, serving French and Vietnamese cuisines in an indoor/outdoor setting, but the name escapes me - can anyone help?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM

The Hwy 4 Bar/Rest (go upstairs) has a very extensive menu if you want Vietnamese. The last night we were in Hanoi we treated ourselves to a remarkable french meal at the Green Tangerine. Both places are in the Old Quarter.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM

If you are interested in seeing some pictures of Hanoi and surrounding areas, i've posted some photos of my trip to Vietnam at www.pbase.com/msallen/vietnam
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM

To Neil Oz: Is this the school you were referring to? Havent been there but info given to me by a friend who went to Vietnam.

Hoa Sua Training School - Hanoi
Established 4/95 to provide career-training opportunities for children living in especially difficult circumstances in Hanoi, including street children, orphans and children of returnees and children of single parent households living in poverty
449 Bach Main St. and at restaurant at 81 Tho Nhuom street. All profits from the restaurant, brasseries, bakerty and catering service are used to provide living expenses and training scholarships for students and to cover the operational costs of the school.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:34 PM

IsisMnroe - thanks and yes, I'm pretty sure it was the Hoa Sua.

The other one, Koto, was established by a Vietnamese Australian guy and I think I read that he plans to expand into other cities.

Street kids in Vietnam are treated badly, so these places are very worthwhile ventures.