Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Going to thailand with our 2 grandkids (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/going-to-thailand-with-our-2-grandkids-897274/)

Taylort771 Jul 2nd, 2011 10:40 AM

Going to thailand with our 2 grandkids

WE are flying into the Phuket. Should we stay in Phuket or stay on Phi Phi island or another island? We want a beach get away. Then we will fly to Bangkok for 2-3 nights. WHere should we stay? Has anyone done the tiger temple? if so can you say if it was worth it? What else should we do. After Thailand we are going to china so we cant spend to much $.How much is a typical meal?
thanks

rhkkmk Jul 2nd, 2011 02:07 PM

i think there might be an age limit on entrance to the tiger temple....it is quite far from almost all main sites as well, but we loved it..

tell us about your budget and we can advise better on places to stay...

with the kids you will want a place with a nice pool area...

Taylort771 Jul 2nd, 2011 02:48 PM

The kids will be 17 and 14 when we travel in Oct. If possible our budget is under $170 per night bc we have to get 2 rooms at least thats what i have discovered.
Do you know anything about the holiday inn resort on Phi Phi island? We can get a room for $99 usd per night.
What would you recommend we do on Phi Phi and in phucket as well as bangkok?
Thanks for your reply!

simpsonc510 Jul 3rd, 2011 12:38 PM

If you put Phi Phi Island in the search the forum box at the top of the page, you will maybe find some threads here with trip reports to the island. That Holiday Inn does get mentioned quite a bit. Phi Phi is designed for a quiet beach vacation.

I did parasailing on Phuket, at Patong Beach. I would not recommend you stay on Patong beach, opting instead for a hotel in the Kata or Karon beach areas where the atmosphere is less (ahem) sex for sale. Patong beach touts can be very pushy. Your two impressionable grandkids don't really need that sort of exposure, IMO.

Phuket or Koh Samui are both islands filled with plenty to do, as is Krabi, yet another beach area, but not an island. I like Krabi as it seems more natural, and is not designed specifically with tourists in mind.

I would consider Phi Phi for a couple of days, but not much longer than that. I, personally, would get bored with the place as I am not a -lie on the beach- person. I avoid that intense sunlight as much as possible.

For Bangkok, you will want a place with a nice pool. You need to decide whether you want to stay 'in the city' or along the river. There are lots of options in either location. Apartment hotels are something you might want to consider, as there is more space in an apartment.

kmkrnn Jul 4th, 2011 09:14 AM

Look at a 2 bedroom apt. at Chatrium...One the river...very nice pool, you can get a deal that includes breakfast for about your $170. Email Chatrium or look at some of the discount sites. Not all deals include breakfast.