Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Going to Thailand Jan 1-10. Will I get hosed? Should I change my ticket?

Aug 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

I got a great deal on ANA (plus a free ticket) so I got two tickets to Bangkok, arriving the evening of Jan 1 and departing the evening of Jan 10. Prices in the beach areas (Krabi, Phuket, Koh samui) seem astonomical at the time. Do we think they may come down because of the economy.decline in global tourism? Should I change my ticket to avoid getting hosed? The prices in Bangkok don't seem to be too bad.
Aug 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM

I doubt you will see any lowering of hotel prices at any of the Thailand beach locations. There are regulars who return to the same places year after year. I would not change my ticket! I'd love to find my own good deal for flights to BKK at that time. My family will be spending the holidays there, but we don't have tickets just yet. Thailand weather is at its best during December and January.
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Hang on to your tickets. There are lots of places to go in Thailand. You did choose the highest priced time of the year, but there will be bargains. And even at high season prices, Thai prices are less than other comparable beach areas around the world. Take a look at beautiful beach resorts in Hawaii!

Consider Bangkok and a place in northern Thailand rather than a beach. Consider a less popular beach like Hua Hin. Wait to make beach reservations. I don't know that overall prices will come down, but there will likely be bargains at latestays (30 days or less before your stay). I think we've already told you about discount hotel websites like www.sawasdee.com www.asiarooms.com www.agoda.com Choose some places that interest you and watch the prices.
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM

what does "get hosed" mean?
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

simpsonc510 - check out ANA - I got a roundtrip airfare from Boston to Bangkok for $1000 US per ticket, leaving Dec 31 and returning Jan 10 (at 11:50 PM!) Because we got a one free ticket using our capitalone visa card, we will only pay $1000 for two roundtrip flights.

Kathie: we are considering Hua Hin as we want to go to a beach (Boston is freezing in the winter!!!). Hua Him looks interesting but maybe not as picturesque/atmospheric as Krabi or Koh Samui. I have been looking at agoda, asiarooms, and sawadee but there are so many choices that it's mindboggling.
Haven't been to Hawaii or any other beach resort so we are new to this.

Smeagol: "get hosed" means pay an extremely high premium because of location/timing/etc.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Hua Hin is not as picturesque/atmospheric as Krabi, but it should be less expensive. It's an area where Thais have traditionally vacationed - the Royal Family has a compund there. Only in recent years have many international hotels sprung up. There is an excellent Hyatt there, and I understand the new Sheraton is lovely. The places in town - the Marriott and especially the Hilton are to be avoided. The Sofitel is right in town and the only "in town" place I'd want to stay.
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Echoing the others sentiments...you're not going to get reduced rates at that time of year for any of the beaches that come to mind when one thinks of Thai beaches. Hua Hin is fine, but if it's crystal blue water and white powder beaches you search for, you're probably gonna have to splurge a bit to get that. There are plenty of places in Phuket that are "more affordable" than say Krabi or Phi Phi...and you'll still get the scenery...even as touristy as Phuket can be, I'd prefer it over Hua Hin.
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the explanation Carol, never heard that before.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Phuket is cheaper than Krabi. More moderate hotels. The Old Phuket Hotel in Karon Beach is a solid 3 star. It's about a 1/4 mile walk to the beach, but very relaxing. You can easily fly to either place on Air Asia a discount carrier. they have tight luggage restrictions, but provide excellent service.
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Astronomical prices? Where are you coming from? I think youll find that if you look around for something in those locations nearer the actual date, then there will be plenty of bargains up for grabs.
So, certainly don't even think of changing.
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM

I'm curious, SiamJai, how you know what the OP's budget is...therefore discerning what is and what is not in their budget range.
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Actually, I have to agree about the astronomical prices. I'm booked on a[nother] live-aboard over new years, and thought I'd stay a couple days in Khao Lak after. Was just looking at places, and bungalows that are on special now for 1,500 Baht are asking up to 7,500+ for peak season (Dec. 25 to Jan 10). Ouch! To make it worse, some have a FIVE NIGHT minimum. This is on R24 (Sawasdee.com). Agoda is p*** me off by saying nothing is available for that time period.
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

My budget is around $100-125 US per night. What kills me is the rates are so jacked up during those two weeks and everything reasonable apparently seems to be booked up.
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Yes, those few weeks are the highest prices of the year, especially at the beaches - and not just in Thailand. If you are willing to go elsewhere in Thailand, you'll find better prices. Also, while there have typically not been discounts, given the global economy, I'd keep my eye on latestays. I once had to find a place in mid-December (so not quite as high season as yours) with maybe 10 days notice. I found a fabulous deal and was able to book a spa stay for less than I would have paid for the room alone. (This was in Hua Hin)

I don't know what the penalty would be to change your ticket, but if you could go in the second half of January or early February, you would find much better prices. Indeed, look at the hotel booing sites for where you would like to stay and compare prices for the two time periods.
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I noticed that. I found a great deal for a 4-night stay in Bangkok Jan 6-10; it's just the beach part that is proving troublesome. I'd rather not pay top dollar to stay somewhere mediocre but am getting dismayed with the number of places that are already booked up four months in advance. I'm hoping that something eventually opens up - it would be a huge pain to change the ticket now.
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Do you by any chance hav Starwood points? If so, there are a number of good hotels at the beach that have good deals with cash and points.

Even if you don't have Starwood points, take a look at the Mridien Bach Reort. It's well located on Phuket and a very pleasant place to stay.
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on Le Meridien - I'll take a look. Welcome any other suggestiong as well.
Aug 26th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Kata Thani Resort on Kata Noi beach is probably booked up already.. and it may be beyond your budget. It's a really nice place to stay on Phuket!
Aug 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Everything is either booked up or way beyond my budget (hoping to spend maybe $125 per night) The cheaper places seem to require non-refundable deposits. This is the first trip I have ever planned during a peak season anywhere and I though nearly 5-month lead time would be OK, but no! I don't really know what to do. I want to move our trip forward two weeks but it depends on whether my husband can change his vacation.
Aug 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I was going to suggest Orchidacea (used to be Pop Cottages) on Kata. But I see their cheapest room for your dates is about $145 (depending on exch rates). DS stayed there when it was Pop Cottages and said it was fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO