Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Going to Taiwan: hotels? (probably near Taipei) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/going-to-taiwan-hotels-probably-near-taipei-1647558/)

rexb Jan 28th, 2018 09:35 AM

Going to Taiwan: hotels? (probably near Taipei)

Nostalgic about coming back here to post (though the Asia forum was never part of my familiar territory); first time in many years. Probably posted 10,000 times in the late 90's and (not quite) the next decade.

This is part of a first round-the-world trip and it does not come until October, but I am quite surprised by not finding the usual abundance of info, regarding hotels for our Taiwan stay (4 nights, though we are fairly set on spending our fourth night at Volando Urai Spring Span and Resort.. sorta "up in the mountains").

The Fodors guide seems to have literally only FIVE hotels. Why is this? And tripadvisor also seems less helpful than the info I have found for other Asian (big) cities.

Criteria? Probably prefer American-based (or international) hotel companies, but would appreciate "comp" info on Asia-based hotels (including locally owned/operated) if you are familiar with the similarities or contrasts between American/international and Asia or locally based.

Price range? most likely under $200 USD, though VALUE can be more important than price.

Location? Would hear any viewpoints of staying VERY central (i.e., under 5 mins walk to Taipei 101) versus other options.

Finally, if anyone remembers an oldtimer who (is?) was VERY knowledgeable about RTW planning and can help me find or identify sych a person, I would appreciate it very much. I think that she (he?) was possibly from Vancouver or thereabouts... and maybe used a name here that had "Gran... something or other" in it.

Regards,

Rex (from the Europe forum), in Indiana (formerly in Ohio)

rexb Jan 28th, 2018 09:47 AM

OMG... went to the Air Travel forum, and in just a minute, found << gardyloo >> (still have not identified an actual name, but that's alright).

In another post, I will elaborate on how incredibly valuable it has been to have advice - - which might be nearly a decade old now - - from gardyloo, on planning a RTW trip.

Short version: if AT ALL possible, plan it to start and end IN Japan (particularly on SkyTeam; can't say how true or not true this might be for OneWorld, staralliance or any other alliance).

more to follow...

thursdaysd Jan 28th, 2018 12:41 PM

Welcome back. I visited Taiwan in 2010, and there have been a couple of recent visits by Fodorites, but it seems that not a lot of us go there. I do not stay in the kind of hotels you describe, but there are plenty of hotels in Taipei. I use booking.com, supplemented by reviews (read with great care, lol) on Tripadvisor, although for Asia I sometime use agoda.com instead. Taipei had an excellent metro system, so location is not as important as it might be. Have you looked at Lonely Planet and Rough Guide?

Do not miss Taroko Gorge, and I very much liked Tainan. See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...oon-on-taiwan/ and following posts (links at the top of the page).

I have done four RTWs, but mostly on FF miles with OneWorld and with long land segments, so gardyloo's expertise will be more valuable.

Guenmai Jan 29th, 2018 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by rexb (Post 16662051)
Nostalgic about coming back here to post (though the Asia forum was never part of my familiar territory); first time in many years. Probably posted 10,000 times in the late 90's and (not quite) the next decade.

This is part of a first round-the-world trip and it does not come until October, but I am quite surprised by not finding the usual abundance of info, regarding hotels for our Taiwan stay (4 nights, though we are fairly set on spending our fourth night at Volando Urai Spring Span and Resort.. sorta "up in the mountains").

The Fodors guide seems to have literally only FIVE hotels. Why is this? And tripadvisor also seems less helpful than the info I have found for other Asian (big) cities.

Criteria? Probably prefer American-based (or international) hotel companies, but would appreciate "comp" info on Asia-based hotels (including locally owned/operated) if you are familiar with the similarities or contrasts between American/international and Asia or locally based.

Price range? most likely under $200 USD, though VALUE can be more important than price.

Location? Would hear any viewpoints of staying VERY central (i.e., under 5 mins walk to Taipei 101) versus other options.

Finally, if anyone remembers an oldtimer who (is?) was VERY knowledgeable about RTW planning and can help me find or identify sych a person, I would appreciate it very much. I think that she (he?) was possibly from Vancouver or thereabouts... and maybe used a name here that had "Gran... something or other" in it.

Regards,

Rex (from the Europe forum), in Indiana (formerly in Ohio)

As for round-the-world planning, Glen Talken at Airtrek ( travelplanning at airtrek dot com ) is very good at planning. He did a comprehensive plan for me back in Feb 2017, but I decided not to do a round-the-word, but instead decided to continue taking my trips to Asia and other parts of the world, separately. But, he was right on top of things and had my extensive plan done within a few days and I still have his e-mail with the plan and total price

As for hotels in Taipei, I just looked at various ones on Expedia and then read reviews, but ended up with an apartment as I'm flying there soon.

Happy Travels!.

Guenmai Jan 29th, 2018 05:04 AM

Correction: travelplanning at airtreks dot com. The "s" didn't appear when I typed it above.

Happy Travels!

jichen Jan 30th, 2018 09:17 AM

There are many new hotels in Taipei. Suggest you can check on hotels-dot-com. Such as Home Hotel Taipei is new and in the Xinyi District (Taipei 101). Check homehotel-dot-com-tw, they have two hotels, one in Xin-Yi, another one in Da-An. Xin-Yi is the one close to Taipei 101 skyscraper and it's only 6-minute walk from the closest metro stop.

BTY, it's very convenient to go around Taipei city by Metro alone.

Hope above info is helpful.