Sumo or Baseball in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as my better half would kill someone to see a Japanese baseball game, it seems like that's going to be impossible in November (correct me if I'm wrong there, please.)

That said, how do I out more about sumo matches in November? Not sure of the prime location to do this in (we'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima & Osaka mostly.)

Any specifics you can give would be great...and an idea of pricing and how to buy tickets as well.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:48 PM

Sumo tournaments are held in the odd-numbered months. The November tournament is called Kyushu Bassho and is in Fukuoka. It runs (daily) for a couple of weeks.

Go to www.sumo.or.jp/eng/index.html for sumo info. Don't be alarmed at the price of the box seats - the ones with tatami mats. You don't really want them.

I've gone to the Fukuoka tournament twice. The first time, I got my ticket at the window at the arena. I got the least expensive and it was a seat way at the top and was a "goalpost" view. The seat was a plastic chair.

The second time, I had friends buy the tix in advance. I think the price was about $80 and were in a good location, not far up and on the side, maybe 40-yardline.

There are two "40-yarline" sides. The wrestlers enter the arena from two corners on the same side. The preferred side is the one where they enter towards you. If you sit on the other side then you see their backs as they enter. There are Japanese words/terms for these two sides (which I forget) that you might be able to use to specify the side you want.

Maybe a concierge can help you get tickets. I would not plan on going the first day or the last couple days and would prefer a weekday, figuring there would be fewer available seats on those days.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 09:59 PM

Fukuoaka is a nice place to visit, but you could go to the tournament as a day trip from Hiroshima - it is only a bit over an hour by shinkansen.

The JR station for Fukuoka is called Hakata, so you would be traveling Hiroshima to Hakata and back. Use that name as our destination if you use hyperdia.com or are asking for a reserved seat for the trip from Hiroshima.

On Kyushu Bassho days they have a bus from Hakata station to the arena. Get to the arena by noon or 1PM. You can go earlier but the best sumo is in the afternoon. You can go later, if you like, but definitely stay through the final match at 6PM.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM

No need to watch all of the matches. It is like being at a baseball game, get up and wander around the stadium during the day for food, souvenirs. But be back in your seat for the last few matches to see the top rishiki, esp. the yokozuna.

Unlike Tokyo, you can get up close to the wrestlers in Fukuoka as they enter the arena and in the corners as they are waiting to enter the arena floor. It was like that 10 years ago, anyway.

I remember taking a break from the wrestling and was checking out some sumo Hakata dolls when some (apparently) famous sumo came in through the front door. It was too much for one little old lady to be in his presence and she started crying.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 10:20 PM

One more thing: I was once told that there is baseball in Japan in November but it is minor leagues, or college, or amateur.