Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/going-to-se-asia-need-help-1011718/)

jaclyn_erin_17 Apr 17th, 2014 05:13 AM

GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP

Hi there !
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Indonesia for 3.5 months.
I need help organizing what Visas we need and we were also wondering if anyone recommended any activities or places to visit in particular in those areas?

Thanks !

Kathie Apr 17th, 2014 06:20 AM

What passport do you travel on? That makes a difference for visas.

As for activities or places to visit, you really need to get some good guide books and study up on the places you want to visit. My must-see might be your yawner.

jaclyn_erin_17 Apr 17th, 2014 07:04 AM

Hi Kathie, I have a Canadian passport

Kathie Apr 17th, 2014 09:52 AM

You will not need a visa for Malaysia nor for Thailand (as long as you are staying 28 days or less). You will need a visa for Indonesia, which you can obtain upon arrival at any international airport. You can get your Cambodian visa upon arrival by air. If you opt to go overland from Thailand to Cambodia read all of the information at www.talesofasia.com about the various scams and traps for the unwary on the route from Bangkok to Siem Reap. VN requires a visa in advance or a pre-arranged visa. Note that the pre-arranged visa works only for entry via air. If you plan to enter VN overland, you must obtain a visa in advance. Check for your nearest embassy or consulate and follow the instructions on the webpage.

Have a wonderful trip!

thursdaysd Apr 18th, 2014 01:37 PM

Any reason you're skipping Laos?

brendonb29 Apr 19th, 2014 12:16 AM

Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Komodo Island in Idonesia, Bali and Borneo in Thailand. That is where I went.

progol Apr 19th, 2014 04:20 AM

Umm, Bali & Borneo are not part of Thailand.

Bali is part of Indonesia, and Borneo consists of 3 countries: Indomesia, Malaysia, & Brunei. Not Thailand!

progol Apr 19th, 2014 04:31 AM

That's "Indonesia", not a new, undiscovered country!

withluck Apr 25th, 2014 04:08 AM

In Malaysia, most tourists choose to visit Penang, Langkawi, Kuala Lumpur and Malacca as their top destination. If you are nature lover, you should not miss out Sarawak and Sabah in Borneo. For diving, you should not miss out Sabah and Terengganu. The former state, it has a few popular diving heaven such as Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park.

For historical cities, you should not miss out Penang and Malacca. Both offer different unique cultures and experience to oversea tourists.

In your post, you did not mention your interest or hobbies. Therefore, I cannot provide detailed information to you but give you general information for some places in Malaysia only.

A Malaysian Licensed Tourist Guide

LancasterLad Apr 25th, 2014 04:43 AM

If you visit Sarawak, then Bako National Park is a must see.
It's easy to reach from Kuching by public bus, and then by speedboat. You get off the speedboat a few yards offshore and have to wade to the beach. You might even see a crocodile on one of the sandbanks.
Some great walking there for different levels of fitness.
Watch out nasty macaque monkeys though, they surrounded us and we either volunteered our breakfast to them, or they took it by force. We went for the former option!
If you're on a small budget then the Tune Hotel in Kuching is a fair place to stay.