Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Going to China in September, What cloths to bring? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/going-to-china-in-september-what-cloths-to-bring-251402/)

Esperanza Aug 20th, 2002 09:36 AM

Going to China in September, What cloths to bring?

I'm going for 3 weeks Sept 16 to Oct 2. Will be going to Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Guilin, Gangzhou & Hong Kong. Could you give some idea what cloths to bring (female). Guide books I read-not much help.

Michael Aug 20th, 2002 09:50 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>Bring lots of shorts and comfortable short sleeve blouses. Also, a comfortable dress or two for evening wear if going to the opera, etc.<BR><BR>Bring comfortable walking shoes/sandals of course and a light jacket. The weather will be mostly very warm in all of those cities in September.

xxx Aug 21st, 2002 02:09 AM

Evening wear for the opera?? I don't think that's at all necessary and might make you look very overdressed.

Louis Aug 21st, 2002 04:28 PM

We are planning a trip to China at the end of Sept. also. With the news of the recent flooding in China, I would almost suggest bring rainwear/umbrellas. However, should we be concerned about the flooding and the typhoons? When is the typhoon season over?

sonia Aug 26th, 2002 06:06 AM

MOre..MORE PLEASE!!!

Mike Aug 26th, 2002 06:05 PM

We spent three weeks in China during May and June. Also attended an opera and a couple of other shows. The dress was real casual. There is a LOT of walking, steps everywhere. Good shoes are a must. An umbrella is good also, not only for rain but the bright sun. The pollution and haze seems to make the sun warmer. Have a great trip, we did.

Rapunzel Aug 27th, 2002 02:54 PM

sun-block, cargo pants, t-shirt, fleece sweater, confortable walking shoes, waterproof raincoat....for the cities a pair of jean....

henry Aug 27th, 2002 07:19 PM

Sep is best time to travel to North Asia.Temperature max 35C.I was in Shanghai last Sep.So light clothes is sufficient.

rita Sep 30th, 2002 02:42 PM

Is it acceptable to go to the Opera in jeans and t-shirts? Do the 5-star hotels frown on jeans? Reply is awaited.

Patty Sep 30th, 2002 03:34 PM

5 star hotels won't frown on jeans as they are used to tourists wearing them (not just Americans) but you may feel a little underdressed at some of the nicer restaurants and clubs. The local Chinese tend to really dress up when going out in the evening especially in the larger cities. Don't know about the opera.

xxx Sep 30th, 2002 05:24 PM

What about the weather in Beijing in late Oct? Does it turn cold and warmer wear required?

sharon Sep 30th, 2002 06:22 PM

OK, so I've been checking weather.com to Beijing, Shanghai and Xian and it seems weather right now is in the 70's. I just cannot believe that in a month and a half from now it will be highs of 50. Will mid-November actually be this cold? or colder? Thanks for any response from travellers to China in mid-November.

Patty Oct 1st, 2002 03:31 PM

In early November, I was comfortable walking around Shanghai in long pants and a sweater. In Xian, it was much colder and I had on what I wore in Shanghai plus a medium weight coat and scarf. I believe the elevation in Xian is higher and it can be windy also. I've never been to Beijing in mid-November, only December and the temperature at that time hovered right around freezing. In general Shanghai is much warmer than Beijing or Xian.

Andrea Oct 1st, 2002 05:28 PM

It can be darn cold in Beijing, even in late September. When my mom came to visit a few years ago at the end of September, it was REALLY, REALLY hot in Shanghai, so when we went up to Beijing, I only packed warm-weather clothes. It was REALLY, REALLY cold in BJ, particularly on the Great Wall. I was so cold, I had to buy an "I Climbed the Great Wall" sweatshirt and wear it around!<BR><BR>You can check average temperatures here:<BR><BR>http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/climatology/monthly/CHXX0008<BR><BR>The average high in September in BJ is near 80, the average low mid-fifties. In November, average high is 50, average low is 30.