Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Going to Bali, what to expect from DPS airport.

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Bali in Febr., what can I expect after landing in DPS. Is it timely to get a visa (we are Canadian) and ones you get outside, what about Taxi's to the Hotel.
Thanks for any info.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:41 AM

I arrived DPS at night, about 10 or 11 PM, on a JAL flight from Narita. Got a visa in advance, before I left the USA, though I knew they were available on arrival. Don't think it took long for the others, but it took no time for me to get by the immigration booth. I was the first one out. Just as I was about to pick up my bag a guy grabbed it and led the way past the bored customs guys to a currency exchange booth. Then he asked for a tip, so I told him to go away (he had rolled it all of 30 feet). Got some cash and went outside where not much was happening. Down to the right I saw what looked like, and was, a taxi dispatch stand. Told them where I wanted to go, paid the price, and the taxi driver led the way to a parking lot where his car was. It was all pretty quick and painless.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM

Thanks to suggestions on this board, we got our Visa's from the Indonesian Embassy in DC (can do all through the mail). We were glad we did, since we were travelling with children. We whisked through no problem, and others did wait...some a long time. But I supposed it would depend on the time and how many people are going through the airport at the moment.
If you need a driver use Putu!! (often talked about on this board)
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:36 PM

i did not get my visa in advance and it took about 1 1/2 hours in very long lines to get it (june, 2004)...i would get it at home next time before i left...i arrived at about 2PM along with several other planes full of people...
the visa procedure is not too efficient...everything else was very efficient...

taxis are very cheap....it was 70,000 rp to my hotel at the Conrad north of nusa dua...that's $7. U.S..... there is a taxi booth just outside the door to the right and you tell them where you are going and they give you a receipt after you pay them---flat rates...very easy...and very efficient...
it was very hot and uncomfortable in the visa room...the departure area was just the opposite...comfortable and very nice....

enjoy your visit....we also used putu and enjoyed his assistance for several days of touring...
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM

donna (stockexchanger)...haven't heard from you...have you changed your e address??

bob
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM

I was recently in Lombok, flew in non-stop from Singapore and got my visa on arrival. It actually took is less time to get our visas on arrival there than it took the people who already had visas to get through immigration! I opted for visa on arrival due in part to unresponsiveness from the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC. It sounds like Donna did fine with them.

Rumor has it that visa processing has improved substantially at the Denpasar airport, but obviously, experiences with Visa on arrival as well as experiences with the Indonesian embassy vary.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM

Like so much concenrning officialdom in Indonesia, the answer is "it depends." Sometimes there are long lines at the Visa on Arrival counters, sometimes people breeze through. It depends on the number of flights arriving simulaneously and the local staffing levels (e.g. lunchbreak). If you can get your visas prior to leaving do so. Having said that, Indonesian embassies and counsulates in foreign countries manage to import a little bit of Indonesian inefficiency. From what I understand, getting the visas outside of Indonesia can also be inconsistent in the time and money involved. The rules are obscure.

Taxis at Denpasar airport are plentiful and cheap, but can be hot and uncomfortable. Your hotel would most likely send a car for you as well. The charge could either be negotiated as part of your room rate (transfers)or at a minimal cost. This is what I would recommend especially if you are going to Ubud.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM

we found every taxi used in bali to be at least moderately comfortable and all were cool...
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the info.