God's Own Country- In spate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2018, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most wonderful destination in India is reeling under water.

The Idukki Dams all 5 crest gates opened up for the first time in 26 rears

The Athirapally Waterfall near Valparai at this moment

Kochi airport shut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EuRVV6ztKE​​​​​​​
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 03:07 AM

Oh, inquest, how awful for the folks living there. Thanks for posting this to remind us travelers that there is real hardship right now.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 08:01 AM

Devastating

This is just horrible. Devasting for villagers.
Thanks for sharing updates Inquest.. Im following as you know Im interested in visiting in Jan or Feb.
I wonder if they will recover enough for tourism by then.
If you think not, I may do SriLanka first
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Devendra or better known as simply as Indra is the anthropomorphic God of Thunder,lightening and rain, in the Hindu mythology, has unleashed his fury on the mere malayalee mortals of Kerala. Reasons unknown.Primarily deforestation in large parts of Kerala has had a devastating effect. Mud-slides have carried away people and their homes.Lives lost is over 300 and is still counting.

The State of Kerala is wedged between the mighty western ghats and the Arabian sea. Heavy precipitation on these mountains have flooded everything in between causing wide-spread inundation.The Government is presently reeling under shock and involved in rescue and relief.The Indian army too has muscled in, trying to save people.So the extent of damage is still unknown as assessment can only start once there is respite.

MsL, Your question as to when Kerala would ready to receive you in its full former glory is anybody's guess.As to when Indra's Dhanush (Rainbow) would appear and the 'pot of gold' at the end of it is the hope in all our hearts.
Presently, only God can save 'His' own country.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Heartbreaking. Your last paragraph Inquest made me cry.
I will be there in January, come what may. Kerala depends greatly on tourist dollars and visiting is one way to support the efforts to rebuild.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 02:40 AM

<<I will be there in January, come what may. Kerala depends greatly on tourist dollars and visiting is one way to support the efforts to rebuild.>>

And so will I. It is heartbreaking to read about the devastation and I will be more than happy to contribute my small share as a tourist.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:59 AM

Ive been in touch with Tim regarding plans in early 2019 and he suggested we hold off for a few weeks at least until the damage can be better assessed. I understand the determination of those who already have made plans but since Im late in the game I may have to wait unti 2020 if necessary to do it right.
Im also interested in doing SriLanka as either part of this years trip or next year.
CaliNurse, Id love to learn more from you and your experiences.

If any of you have been on the ground there and have seen what you get for your $ or have any tips on budget ... especially for accomodation ... Id appreciate it. Should I find and book my own guest house/homestays with a few splurges? Which are 'must stays' in your experience?
That budget Ive been given is more than I expected for India. I understand it is a very touristy area but I usually find champagne taste with a beer budget (cheap red wine in my case) kind of places. Is that possible here or should I not risk it.

Again, the more tips while I go through this process the better. Much appreciated.

Thanks to all so far for your ongoing input and support in doing it solo.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Its a Paradise Paralysed. The apocalyptic deluge has wrecked havoc on an immense scale.The fall out of this is the breaking out of epidemics that are water-borne and vector-borne diseases. Flooding may initially flush out mosquito breeding, but it comes back when the waters recede. The lag time it is said is usually said to be around 6-8 weeks before the onset of a malaria, dengue or chickungunya.

There are carcasses of dogs and cattle floating around. The ground water gets contaminated.Risk of infection is very high.a risk of contracting tuberculosis, blood-borne viruses such as Hepatitis,
gastrointestinal infections such as diarrhoea, salmonellosis, Ecoli, typhoid/paratyphoid.Well these are some of the reputed ones.
Forgive me if I'm sounding like a 'paranoid physician'.This not meant to scare anyone.Please treat it as a gentle reminder

Cali and all my dear fodorites,as much as I appreciate your intentions of travelling to Kerala in support,Put aside emotions,please do take time off to think of your own health & safety.Its of paramount importance.Kerala can wait a 'little' longer. They, in my opinion, need time to build themselves,which in my estimates( & from my reliable sources) would take 'months' Infrastructure like roads have vanished,properties are either washed away or inundated..

The most affected districts are the ones which are most often in your itenerary. Ernakulam, Thrissur,Allappuzha, Kottayam, Pathanamthitta , Idukki and Malappuram are ravaged.Presently the 'Red' alert has turned 'Orange'. Don't know what it means, lt's but a long way before we see the radiance of the rainbow

Please be judicious and exercise caution.

BTW, for the many of you who have enjoyed Coorg hospitality, its bad news too. Its equally devastated,if not more.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 02:35 AM

inquest, you make important points. We may need to rethink where we go in India but we are going. I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward the itinerary, though, as this looks like it might change.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 04:39 AM

Thank you Inquest for your advice and assessment of might be expected in the short term. I would not like to become part of the problem but perhaps at an appropriate time, part of the solution.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 07:23 AM

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/political-war-erupts-in-kerala-as-rescue-operations-draw-to-a-close/amp_articleshow/65502021.cms
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:35 PM

Thank you Inquest for your always wise and caring advice .I will not put myself in a risky situation for either myself or indirectly, my family.
I know most places are definitely out of the tourist picture now and likely will be in five months, eg Munnar and the Alleppey or Kumarokom backwaters. Still, if Cochin town is able to accept tourists/traVelers, I'll be there.
Thanks for not forgetting Coorg/Madiekri I've been twice, last time at the beautiful Taj Madikeri, where i read some people had to be airlifted out.
It is all so very heartbreaking.