Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Goa - Restaurants near Leela Palace & Taj Exotica

Feb 19th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

I already posted this on the Asia forum but thought it better to post it again here on the Goa Forum.

We're planning a trip in May to goa & still have to decide which hotels between those 2. We don't want to eat every night in the hotel, in fact we would like to eat out most nights so my question is: Which of those 2 hotels is nearest to local restaurants. a taxi's not a problem & can someone recommend a few good restaurants in the area.
Thanks
Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM

There are several shacks and restaurants along the southern Goa coastline within easy driving distance of these two resorts.

My unsolicted suggestion is: why don't you stay at the Goa Marriott (http://www.goamarriottresort.com) in Panjim and then take day trips to these resorts? That way you will have many good restaurants in and around Panjim within your reach, plus all the sights in both North and South Goa within driving distance.

Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks agtoau, the reason we excluded Marriott's is because although we plan to visit most of Goa as possible we're basically looking for a beach holiday & although the Marriott is beside a beach it's not exactly situated on one.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:32 AM

Of the two I'd choose to stay at the Exotica and go to the Leela for a meal - unless the golf course or water sports at the Leela are a huge attraction. The Exotica is about 30 mins closer to North Goa where all the restaurants are situated. Perosnally I prefer the hotel as well. For restaurants. All North Goa. Wendell Roderciks place Aubergine. A Goan meal at the Pousada Tauma. Try to book a meal at Nilaya Hermitage and take a dekko at an amazing boutique property - not far from you too.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

hobbes, how far are the restaurants in the North from the Taj Exotica.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM

Taj Exotica is actually in south Goa and closer to the Leela that any of the north Goa spots. The one classy resort in south Goa that is close to Panjim (only 30 mins drive) is the Park Hyatt.

Someone mentioned the Nilaya Hermitage. I went there in earlier in January this year with my wife and father for a fly-by visit. It is in Arpora in north Goa, about 25-30 mins from Panjim by car. The campus is on a hill, isolated and quiet, and the surroudings are beautiful. If you want a tranquil, secluded time away from it all, this is a good place. But if you want to experience Goa & Goans, there are better options available.

We had a bad experience at the Nilaya Hermitage. My wife got out of the car (while we looked for parking arrangements) and was immediately accosted by a lady, obviously part of the hotel reception staff. She inquired the purpose of our visit. Then she turned around and hollered (in Konkani, the local language) to another nearby staff member that we were "merely natives" (translation: "not white Westerners"). She was taken aback (for she had assumed my wife didn't understand Konkani) when my wife confronted her on this. She rapidly backtracked with a string of excuses and fumbles. Some Indians still have this morbid, colonial-era fascination for the white man and are willing to sell out their own. I intend writing to the owner of Nilaya.