Reload this Page >

Gifts to buy in China?

Search

Gifts to buy in China?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Martha

Gifts to buy in China?

I am making my first trip to China in a few months - just in time to get Christmas gifts to bring home. I will be in Beijing only. Does anyone have suggestions on what the best gifts to buy would be? <BR>Thanks for any help. <BR> <BR>Martha <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Cindy

Martha, <BR> <BR>I recommend some designer knock-off clothes for kids and relatives. Go to the Silk Alley in Beijing. YOu will find Northface, Gap, Nautica,etc, ranging from backpacks to ski jackets. The price is 1/8th of what it costs in the States. You can also find other goodies there. <BR> <BR>YOu can also go to Liu Li Chang Antique market to buy souvenior. <BR> <BR>If you need other travel tips and practical info on China, visit our web site www.ChinaOnYourMind.com <BR> <BR>Cindy <BR>ChinaOnYourMind.com

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Kay

So much depends on what the recipients' taste are. Our favorite items we purchased in China include dolls from the Bejing Opera--haven't seen them anywhere else, stand 8" tall, look like the characters in the Opera, bought them in the gift shop of the tourist opera show. Relatives liked the silk pillow covers with dragons embroidered on them--probably from a Friendship Store or a department store. A guide told us there is little Chinese silk anymore because neighboring countries can produce better quality much cheaper. My mother loves the eggshell porcelin vases I brought back, but I think I found them in Hong Kong and Macau in dusty curio shops. My husband likes the simple wall hangings with the classic drawings or images of the hills of Guilin--we bought some from a Children's Palace shop in Shanghai. The kids in our family wanted the classic t-shirt from the Great Wall or some of the shirts where they have tried to imitate a college or other logo but got the spelling wrong. <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 09:17 AM
tessa

I went to China for a few months... <BR> <BR>All I can say is do NOT waist your time <BR>going to a China Opera...man was that the worst two hours of my life! <BR> <BR>I would suggest going t Silk Ally...you can buy some awsome gifts there...also everywhere you go there are stands with hand painted pictures inside small globes or squares...really nice and friends loved them when I brought them back. Just remember to haggel the price. <BR> <BR>You might be thinking your getting a god deal when acually your not. Remember to have just a few dollars handy that you can pull out and say.."this is all I have" ...fr if you open your wallet and they see a bunch f money...there is no way they will sell it to you. <BR> <BR>Also remember that when you find something you REALLY want....don't let on to them that you love it...for the price will just go up. Say things like.... <BR> <BR>It's ok...I guess <BR>or <BR>The guy down there (point to another vendor) will give it to me for this much. <BR> <BR>Remember to shop around...first ask fr a very very low amount...then begin to go up in price...do this with different vendors and soon you can tell if the vendor will sell it to you. <BR> <BR>Whatever you do....don't buy the first thing you see....shop and bargin the price. <BR> <BR>And if you really want somehing...offer us dollars and have it right in front of them....hey LOVE US money for the exchange rate is so good. Most of the time when I bought things I would offer US and i wouldn't even equal the price they wanted in yen. <BR> <BR>Be smart....act like it's not something you would die for...AND shop around.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 07:45 PM
BOB

HAD TO RESPOND AFTER READING THE PREVIOUS REMARK. A LARGE GROUP OF US WENT TO THE BEIJING OPERA AND FOUND IT SO VERY DIFFERENT, ENTERTAINING, AND RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE. IT DEFINITELY IS UNUSUAL AND LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN - BUT ISN'T THAT WHY YOU SAMPLE OTHER NATIONAL ART TREASURES? i SAY TO GO THAT FAR AND MISS IT WOULD BE A SHAME. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT BLAME ME BUT YOU CAN AT LEAST SAY YOU GAVE IT A TRY.