Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Gifts for Friends in Singapore/India (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/gifts-for-friends-in-singapore-india-1661508/)

debtogo Dec 18th, 2018 05:59 PM

Gifts for Friends in Singapore/India

Hello everyone,

I am visiting Singapore in January and will be travelling with people from my old team before I retired. Two live in SGP (one woman and one man) and one lives in India (woman). I want to bring them each gifts that pack easily and would be appropriate. They are going out of their way to plan the whole trip for me and I want to show my appreciation.

Many thanks for any input you can offer.

Deb

Guenmai Dec 18th, 2018 06:52 PM

Why not take them out to a restaurant of their choice? Singaporeans love to eat. I’ve been going there for 20 years and it’s a big food culture. Plus, if they live in an apartment, apartments are small there and they might not want more stuff.

Happy Travels!

ileen Dec 19th, 2018 07:29 PM

Chocolates are usually enjoyed by everyone. There are always different flavors in different countries, thus is fun to taste them.
I carry many boxes when I travel and usually put them in my carry on, so the contents do not get crushed.
Once when I traveled in Dec. to Asian countries, I took several calendars, photo diaries showing various US scenes. Those were very well received. These days there are tons of different ones available in all price range. If you around any museum shops, check those out too.
Have a great trip

debtogo Dec 19th, 2018 08:50 PM

Thank you - that is a great idea!

Deb

debtogo Dec 19th, 2018 08:51 PM

Thank you ileen - I will think about the chocolates and also look into photo books and other regional items from my home.

Deb

billirandall Dec 20th, 2018 12:02 AM

The 8 Best Souvenirs to Buy in Singapore
  • Orchid Perfumes from Singapore Memories. Image: Singapore Memories. ...
  • Singapore Sling. ...
  • Gold Plated Orchid from RISIS. ...
  • Bakkwa (BBQ Meat) ...
  • Souvenirs with Miniature Merlion. ...
  • Kaya (Coconut Jam) ...
  • Laksa Paste. ...
  • Singapore Pressed Pennies.

jacketwatch Dec 20th, 2018 04:29 AM

I wonder what they like. You worked with them presumably somewhere else so do you have any ideas about what they liked? I visited a friend in Malaysia who went to university in Wisconsin and became a GB Packer fan so I brought him a Packer polo for example.

Another pal in SGP likes Baileys so I got him some at the airport upon our arrival there in 2016. He is also a Chicago Cubs fan (we are everywhere :love:) so I brought him a Cubs T shirt with the no. 18 and as he is of Chinese origin that no. is a good omen for them.

Is there something from wherever you were together that they may like? For example when we visited Kuala Lumpur they gave some local spices as they knew I loved the food there.

We had a fab tour guide in Japan who is a fervent baseball fan so I sent her some Cubs souvenirs and she loved it.

Thats my suggestion.

Good luck, Larry.

Good luck!

Good