Getting to Hua Hin from BKK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a few days at the Hilton in Hua Hin and I wondered if anyone knew if there was an a/c bus/mini bus that makes the trip from Bangkok. I did read that the Hyatt has their own bus but I doubt they'd let us ride along. Any idea how much a taxi or driver might charge for the one way trip?
Sue
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM

We took the TAT mini van. It was full, but cheap and easy. Just go to the TAT office in BKK and arrange a round trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GPanda, was it a/c?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Taxis about B 2,000, limo about B 2,850, both take about 2 hrs 30 mins. Worth paying the extra for the limo.
Trains take over 4 hrs.
Expres a/con bus from Southern BKK terminal every 40 minutes costs B 180 and takes about 3 hrs 20 mins, SGA Aeo Shuttle flights 4 x daily B 5,400 return, flight takes 30-25 minutes.
Concierge/reception at any hotel can arrange car+driver/limo for you.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Note that if heading down on a Friday best to leave around midday latest, the road can get packed on Friday afternoons(!)
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM

If you are on a budget and decide to take the bus the Hua Hin Bus terminal is only 4-5 mins by tuk tuk down to the Hilton.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Yes, it had A/c. Don't remember exactly how much we paid, but it was probaly 400-600 Baht per person. Easy enough to check when in BKK. They picked us up at our hotel in BKK and dropped us at our hotel in HH. Doo-to-door service. Note, we were at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in BKK, so we were second to lats to get picked up. Last was at the Oriental.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:04 PM

we took a van from HH to bkk that the hotel arranged for us...sharred...it was about 700 B each...the a/c did not work properly...

aac is about $65 one way...

can i convince you to stay in another place other than the hilton?? we visited there and i was very turned off by the ground floor and the grounds...i never saw a room after the initial visit...we said to ourselves...never!!! the location is good however, but so are other places, like the sofitel...

do a google search for HH transportation and you will find something else also...
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM

I like going by train, it's a pleasant journey, very cheap, it doesn't matter if the traffic is bad, and you get to arrive at HHs lovely little station, from where you take a songtaew to your resort.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM

I was thinking of taking the train. Is it necessary to make reservations beforehand? How far is the station in Hua Hin from the Marriott Resort?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM

judy---too far to walk but maybe a 5 minute ride or less...plenty of taxis in area when trains arrive...
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear, what a bummer, I've already made a reservation at the Hilton, using HH Points. I guess I could cancel and have the points returned to my account? I picked Hilton as I was hoping that as I'm gold I would get free upgrade for Executive level priviledges. However, if the whole place is not up to standards I will look into cancelling out of Hilton. - I do appreciate upscale accomodations, and will be spending 2 weeks in a 2 BR 2 BA Marriott Villa at the Marriott Beach Club and Resort on Phuket, then one week at the Marriott Riverside Resort and Spa in BKK (your Fav Bob).
Guess I'll start looking at getting my HHonors points returned.
Sue
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:12 AM

If you want to be in town in Hua Hin, the Sofitel is by far the best. A bit farther out (but close enought for dinner in town) consider the Hyatt, or, a bit farther, the Anantara.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM

i agree with kathie....and after stays at the two marriotts you would be very unhappy with the hilton i think....the garden area seeemed to be to be one huge concret block with a swimming pool plopped right in the middle...ugh!!

some may disagree...i just thought i would warn you of my observations and i guess kathie may have had similar as she did not dispute it...

the hyatt is beautiful really and the newest of the big places around town...
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM

sue---then you could use the hyatt van if you were staying there also..
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM

if you are flying into bkk from someplace else, i would find taking the limo directly from the airport to HH would be the easiest....it might cost more, but would save you time in the long run and eliminate any interim transfer to another place...

a taxi might be cheaper but they are also somewhat unreliable and often lack directions....it could be a horror show, or you could end up with some guy who is high on who knows what...that happened to us twice on trips from the airport to bkk...one guy just kept snuffing into a capsule...
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

We would be leaving from the Marriott on the river, BKK. I just checked with the Hilton website on Honors cancelations and it looks as if I could cancel and get all my points back. Trouble is, none of the Asia Rooms etc sites have prices up yet for late January 07. I guess I can wait though.
Sue
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Sue, if you want the Hyatt go to the Hyatt website. They are supposed to guarantee the lowest rates. Also check the Anantara website and the Sofitel website.

You can also ask any of the web reservations services to find rates for you. Often they can get rates from the hotel directly in a few days.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM

The rooms at the Hilton by all accounts are very good, the thing is that it is a 15 or thereabouts storey high rise right in the town, although on the 'water' you have to walk along to the Sofitel for the beach.

In November the Sofitel opens it's Pool Villas which are located ( for those who know the area ) where Central Village used to be.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM

We got the best prices for the Sofitel by calling their 800 number from the US. You could call them and see what the price was. If it was to your liking, you could book and not worry about trying to save every last farthing. Of course, you could do this with all the hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -