Reload this Page >

Please help me choose between these hotels

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My wife, 13 year old daughter, and I will be in Singapore for four days in early fall, and I'm trying to choose between the following three hotels:

Berjaya Singapore Hotel, 83 Duxton Road, Singapore 089540
Amara Singapore, 165 Tanjong Pagar Road, Singapore 088539
InterContinental Singapore, 80 Middle Rd, Singapore 188966

I'm mostly concerned about location rather than star rating, I want the hotel to be within walking distance to many interesting places, and have something interesting to do at night in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.
Thank you.
Vince.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM

What you really want is to be close to an MRT station!

The Intercontinental has an excellent location.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie, and greetings from Philadelphia, US.
How's Berjaya Hotel as far as location?

Vince.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 05:44 AM

Sorry, I don't know that hotel. I'm sure someone else here does.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I know I've been on Duxton Road, but can't place it in my mind. But, if I were to choose, I'd choose the Amara. I have been there quite a bit as I eat at the Thai restaurant inside of that hotel. It's my favorite Thai restaurant in Singapore. Plus, I like the area in that the hotel is right next to the MRT station, but it's not in the heart of all of the busy-ness as are the hotels on Orchard Road. Next to the hotel, there's a little pathway and parklike/grassed area that leads to the MRT station. There are also a variety of restaurants within the Amara hotel.

I haven't stayed at the Amara as I stay, quite a bit, at the YMCA International House Hotel at 1, Orchard Road, and then I take the MRT over to the Amara to eat.

http://singapore.amarahotels.com/dining

Another really good hotel is the Fairmont. I stay there sometimes depending on the budget. LOL! The Fairmont is great and in the heart of things. I've also stayed at other hotels in Singapore.

http://www.fairmont.com/singapore/?c...FQOEhwod-1QA3g

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:21 AM

I don't know those three hotels specifically but every Berjaya I've been to has been second/third rate and often close to a dump. Seems like their MO is to take older, worn properties and try to milk them for the last drop.

Intercontinentals are generally cold, expensive business-y places which we sometimes enjoy at the end of trips for a few days (oiled always by at least one free night and suite upgrades).

If I had to pick cold, it would be the Amara of these three. But I also think you can look further using the above suggestions and my personal fave, the Pan Pacific (although it's been a number of years since I was there so take this rec with but several grains of salt).
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM

NoFly is correct that the IC in Singapore feels cold. The location is great, though. The Fairmont, mentioned above by Guenmai has a fabulous location - lots nearby to walk to and it's above an MRT station.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM

Hi folks

Thanks for reinforcing our decision to stay at the Fairmont.
We will be going to Singapore shortly and am looking forward to our trip. We booked the Fairmont because of its location and reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:50 PM

alan43-You should be very satisfied with the Fairmont. I remember the beds there being so comfortable. I didn't think that I could get such a comfortable bed outside of Four Seasons hotels. Smiles.

Remember that the Fairmont is attached to Raffles the Plaza Mall and on the lower level of that mall are lots of eateries and a supermarket. Then underneath that whole structure is an underground shopping center with more eateries and shops. It's accessed by exiting the mall and taking an escalator down. I walked to Esplande Concert Hall by using that underground tunnel-like shopping center, making it a lot cooler walk.

Happy Travels!
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Could you tell the exact location. If you are searching around MRT station then choose the Intercontinental hotel. Read this property reviews from Tripadvisor site.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM

Stay in the Intercontinental at Bugis Junction. You can walk to the historic/civic area, financial district, even Marina Bay area or take the train which is under the hotel shopping complex there. You are near little India and Arab street is nearby as well. Amara and Berjaya are more for business people.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM

I don't think there is much competition here. For me personally, the InterContinental wins hands down. I used to be fond of the Berjaya once, but not anymore.