Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Getting along in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/getting-along-in-bangkok-653318/)

sarah825 Oct 17th, 2006 04:40 AM

Getting along in Bangkok

Just a couple of minor points before our trip. 1. Do men wear sport jackets to dinner in the nicer restaurants? 2. We drink ice tea but are concerned about the ice. Suggestions? 3. I have migraine headaches and frequently take expensive medicines ($12 -$15 Imitrex, Zomig). Are legitimate prescription drugs cheaper in Thailand? 4. Are any BKK pharmacies on line?
5. What would one tip the AAC driver? Hotel Porter per bag? Taxi driver? Thanks.

Gpanda Oct 17th, 2006 05:37 AM

Men wear jackets only in the fanciest of restaurants. We've been to Thailand 4 times and never had a problem with the ice. 4-5 star hotels are no worry. Tipping is not a universal phenomenon. Mostly Americans. Pay attention to how your tips are received and you can find an amount with which you are comfortable. Very few Thai employees are dependent upon tips for their income.

MaryW Oct 17th, 2006 06:03 AM

Not sure about the drugs you mention but my husband takes Cafegot for migraine and you can get it without prescription from all pharmacies. That is about 1/3 the price of the drug in Australia (and that under our national health benefits scheme.
Good quality and no doubt about its legitimacy. The odd thing I have found to be more expensive though. Mostly we stock the first aid kit up every trip. Don't know about on line pharmacies but Boots and Watsons are two of the bigger and better and you may be able to email them. Boots has been consistently cheaper for us for prescription type stuff.

Ice - most of Thailand is good about ice in drinks - if it comes as round cylinders with an hole in the middle it is fine. Most of the crushed stufffor drinks in restaurants is also okay - the bits to watch out for are what they use under the fish on displays - okay if its well cooked but oysters etc could contain not so good water. That of course doesn't count in the good hotels - they use safe water all round.

rhkkmk Oct 17th, 2006 06:09 AM

i do not take a jacket to thailand with me....one would only see jackets in restaurants like normandie...it is totally unnecessary and way toooooo hot for one...

i tip them about 15% of the fee usually...depends on the driver...just like at home..

you will find some drugs cheaper....doubt any have on line...know the both the generic and popular names when you go....you might also try one of the hospital pharmacys or one in the large malls....probably will not need a script....

forget iced tea for your time unless it is cooled in the fridge....we drink beer and bottled water....we take ice only in 5* hotels and restaurants....but prefer not to...why take the chance...

Kathie Oct 17th, 2006 07:11 AM

I will take ice if it is the machine-made cylindrical kind - that's commercial ice made with purified water. I will not take anything with crushed ice. You can also ask for your tea without ice.

I don't know whether Imitrex is availbale in Bangkok or not. Ask at a pharmacy. Stick with large pharmacies in busy areas, Boots or Watsons are good suggestions. Anything you buy, check the expiration date (most pills are sold in bubble strips).

Your hotel adds 10% to your room price for service, so tips are not expected. Since I always have lots of luggage when I'm in Bangkok (empty when I arrive, full when I leave) I do always tip the bellmen. In taxis, just round up the fare.