Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Gate1 Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/gate1-travel-428020/)

NYPDRET May 3rd, 2004 12:45 PM

Gate1 Travel

I have been looking at all the sites and came across one for GATE1 travel. Has anyone ever used them?
They have a 10 day Tokyo and Koyoto, including air from JFK, bullet train between T and K, buffet breakfast every morning and transfers from and to the airports in Japan. I was quoted a price of $2250 per person.
Now the air alone from JFK is about $1100 per, figure 8 nights hotel at $200 per and that is more than the tour, and that doesn't include whatever the train would cost. The tour price was NOT including any optional tours they offer, which I probably would not use anyway, as we want to discover things on our own.
So, my question is would you think this is a good deal?
I don't see a down side but would like to hear other oponions.

Thanks
Bob

sandi May 4th, 2004 04:58 AM

Gate 1 is a reputable company and provides for travel around the world. While I have checked their brochures, have not used them myself - prefer to travel independently. But have met up with their groups on trips to Egypt, Turkey, Israel - and all seemed to be happy campers and their prices are very competitive and their guides are said to be excellent.

If you don't get a specific answer on this board re travel to Japan, ask Gate 1 to provide names of previous travelers who have done this itinerary with them. A reputable company should be glad to provide such information. Hope this helps.

hsk218 May 5th, 2004 11:55 AM

Hi I have indeed used them for my trip to India and I was very very pleased. From start to finish is was wonderful. We had terrific local guides and the best tour guide.Our accomodates were in First Class htls ie sheratons.The itini was wonderfulas well.We are considering another trip to Asia with them this year. Last trip was 2000 Hope this helps

NYPDRET May 6th, 2004 04:52 AM

Thanks so much for the info. We are not sure if we will be taking any of the optional tours but just the air, hotel and train makes this seem like a good deal.

Bob

laurieco May 8th, 2004 05:32 AM

My husband and I used Gate 1 to go to Turkey about 6 or 7 years ago. We normally shun group tours but my husband refused to rent a car in Turkey. By the third day, he said we should have rented a car! It's not that Gate 1 didn't provide everything it said it would, it's that we were on a bus for 8 to ten hours a day with about 40 other people who complained about everything. I personally don't like travelling that way. I prefer to be on my own, go where I want on my own timetable. The "tour" you describe however seems to be much more independant so it might be a good deal. Japan is very easy to get around on your own however. We were there in March and got a fare on American Airlines for $576.00 per person and paid less than $200.00 per night for great hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto. I guess it depends on when you are going, prices may have gone up in the past few weeks.

NYPDRET May 9th, 2004 04:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks again for the info. We were going to use Gate1 just becuase the air, hotel and bullet train are included. All of their optional are extra and I'm not a big fan of group tours. I just thought the price was good.
The cheapest air I could find was All Nippon Air for $1083 from JFK. There might have been another airline that was a tad cheaper but ANA had the best flight times for us.
So for the $2250 they want to charge includes air, hotel, tranfers from and to the airport and breakfast each morning. Everything else was extra.

Thanks
Bob