Travel with 13yo daughter to Hong Kong and then next adventure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a conference in Hong Kong and then plan to jump to a destination between Hong Kong and Hawaii. We are on a bit of a budget, have some Marriott miles if useful, and are looking for ideas. We would love ideas of what to do in Hong Kong, as well as where to go next, in 5-7 days. New Zealand? North or south island? Thailand? Somewhere else? Prefer nature/hiking/kayaking/adventure to another big city after Hong Kong. Money saving ideas that are bedbug free are most welcome. Safety a concern. Thanks, from a traveling doc
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM

New Zealand is a long flight from Hong Kong. You might take a good look at a map, decide how many hours you are willing to fly from Hong Kong to your next destination.

Thailand is certainly a good option, and prices are good. Also consider Bali, though it is a longer flight. Both places offer a chance to experience another culture and are relatively budget-friendly. Safety should not be a concern in any of these places - just use common sense. ALl of these places are safer than any medium-sized city in the US.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM

I don’t know if you have looked into this yet, but flying between most any Asian city and Hawaii is a pain. There are no direct flights between the two. You have to go via Japan (in a few cases Seoul), and it takes about 14-16 hours. Almost all flights go just to Honolulu, so you may have to get another flight from there if you want to go to other islands. I can't tell if you live in Hawaii or just plan to go to Hawaii as part of this trip.

But in any event if you have to include Hawaii, then Japan may make a good stopover for you for 5-7 days. But it can be expensive. So Marriott points for hotels there may come in handy. (They may in Hong Kong as well which is not cheap, but overall should be cheaper than Japan.)

Can you tell us the time of year for the trip? That might make a difference in reccos. In addition to weather issues, major holidays/festivals would be something to consider. Some you may want to see, others (like Chinese New Year) can be enjoyable but you sometimes have to plan for crowded travel conditions.

Personally, I am not sure that combining a trip to Asia and Hawaii is really a good idea. If you want beaches after Hong Kong, just stay in Asia. And you can find better quality hotels for less money in Asia than you will in Hawaii, in my experience. (Hong Kong has some nice beaches too, but water quality can be an issue and we have no beach hotels.)

I also have to say that Hong Kong offers lots of hiking and outdoor activities, so if you have not found out about those yet, you need better guidebooks.

As noted above, New Zealand is 14 hours by air from Hong Kong, and it takes about the same time to get to Hawaii from NZ.

If you take Hawaii out of the trip, your choices are almost unlimited. I agree that Thailand will work, although with only 5-7 days you will have to pick 2 or at most 3 places, as you can’t see everything in a week. Time of year makes a big difference in what beach area you would choose.

At the right time of year, the island of Borneo (east Malaysia) would offer much of what you seem to be looking for. The bat caves of Miri are really a sight, and lots of outdoor activities there. They have fairly heavy rain from Sept - Jan, so this does not always work. You can still go of course, but beaches may not be as enjoyable.

Something like Ankor Wat combined with a either time in the countryside or a short beach holiday could also work very well. Or Luang Prabang and Ankor Wat could be very interesting.

I also think Bali or other parts of Indonesia will work. You can rent a villa in Bali and save a good bit of money versus a hotel.

At the right time of years, the Philippines is great, has lovely beaches and is less expensive.

Vietnam is possible, as with Thailand you will have to choose your places and not try to see it all.

The PRC is huge, but in 5-7 days you could pick a small countryside area and see it.

In most parts of Asia, safety is not an issue, so I would cross that off your list of concerns.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM

I'd look at Bali. There are good non-stop flights from Hong Kong and lots to do. You can combine nature and culture, tropical forests and the beach at a wide range of accommodation types and prices.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Luang Prabang in Laos or Cambodia, especially Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) would be good. I also enjoyed Borneo and it would suit. The first two can be done fairly cheaply with Borneo being a bit dearer. All three are safe and the people are very friendly.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Lots of hiking in Taiwan and easy to get to from HK and easy to depart from towards USA. Check it out.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM

No non-stop TPE-HNL right now, but Haiwaiian Airlines starting it next July.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, this is VERY helpful. Meeting is mid March in Hong Kong, and she will enjoy tourism Hong Kong while I am working... Hawaii is because our former nanny lives there, who is very missed, so we have the potential inexpensive few days there. It's the inbetween Hong Kong and Hawaii part that I was trying to figure out. Yes, it would be easier to skip Hawaii, but that was part of the original mission of taking her. We are fully expecting the extra 14 hr flights, etc. Would you hit Borneo or Laos, Cambodia or Thailand, or aim for the longer flight to New Zealand? Borneo sounded quite tempting from the notes above although I know nothing about it... Thanks, again, this is SO helpful!
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Personally, I wouldn't take another 14 hour flight to new Zealand. You will be in Asia, why not visit one of the many wonderful places there?

We loved our time in Malaysian Borneo, specifically Sabah. Take a look at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge. Photos from our trip: www.marlandc.com/Borneo/index.htm Be aware that Borneo takes several flights to get there, likely Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu to Lahad Datu. So the logistics are a bit complicated.

As I mentioned earlier. Thailand is an excellent choice as is Bali. If you and your daughter are interested in the temples at Angkor, then Cambodia ia great (get a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples to see how interested you are).

All of these places are safer than where you live in the US. In terms of prices, New Zealand is the most expensive of the places you mention.

I would recommend that you choose one place and concentrate your time there so you and she get a chance to experience the place rather than just more flights.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM

IMO going to New Zealand for only 5-7 is too short. There are so many different places, geographies, etc to see there. I would save that for a seprate trip when you have more time.

Borneo would be easier to get to, and the tourist bits are far more concentrated together and easier to do in that space of time. But all of the above reccos (other than NZ) would work as well.

Taiwan is an interesting choice, not as well touristed; and if you like exotic food, a really good choice. I am not sure that a 13 year-old would like it as much as the other places above. It's not a land of thousands of temples and ancient sites like Thailand or Laos or Cambodia, nor does it have the jungles and organ utans of Boreneo. Just my gut feeling about what a 13-year old might like. Also, it will still be rather cool temperature wise in March in Taiwan esp in the higher elevations and its too cool for beaches I think. But they have hot spring areas which could still be good in March.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, this is immensely helpful!
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM

I'd do Luang Prabang in Laos or Siem Riep in Cambodia. both have lots to see, good food, fun shopping. Luang Prabang has more rafting/trekking opportunities, and don't miss the weaving village across the river. I loved doing a weaving class with these guys:

http://www.ockpoptok.com/create/cat_20.html

Siem Reap has the temples of Angkor Wat, bicycling, horseback riding and ATV tours.

http://www.sevencandlesguesthouse.co...kor-activities

(the guesthouse is very nice if you are on a budget and if interested, there are great volunteer opportunities through them too)

both towns are very safe, are super easy to get around and have fantastic food.

Japan would be fun too, and since you'll likely have to fly through narita or Haneda could turn out cheaper even though the costs are higher.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

We've now decided on Hong Kong then, if flight allows, Xian to see terra cotta warriors (?1 night?2 nights?) then Beijing for 3 nights, and Honolulu last to see a close friend. Ideas for tour guides, hotels (ideally a Marriott), restaurants, things not to miss welcome!