from NYT: Kerala- born chef in USA

Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

from NYT: Kerala- born chef in USA

http://tinyurl.com/yckmuz7z

Not only discussion of food, but also pix of Munnar, Thekkady, and Cochin.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:38 PM

What a fascinating article, CaliNurse. Shall we head to Atlanta and have Ms. Gomez make us dinner? Thanks for posting.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:03 AM

You've dug out a great article Cali.Thanks. I remember the Chef at Marari Beach Resort,years ago, made one of the best stuffed lobster,I still can't get over.
The Chilly Beef Chicken chilly fry,Avial,Mutton stew and appams,Meen curry were unforgettable,at a Syrian Christian wedding I was invited to.Not to forget the variety of Parottas.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Indeed, CaliforniaLady. We have to figure out a way to meet in person one of these days and talk India, etc. Atlanta...or LA?
Inquest, funny how that works--finding great "ethnic" food in unlikely locations. One of THE best spaghetti bolognese meals I've ever eaten (including in trips to Italy) was in Shimla on the Mall at Clarkes. (This, incidentally, was Mr Oberoi senior's first hotel, although it is no longer part of the chain.)
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 05:11 PM

CaliNuse - Looking forward to the Fodor's forum coming out of the dark ages soon, and having private messaging. We'll get in touch then.

Ms. Gomez made an interesting point in the article by stating that there is much more to Indian food than dosas and basic curries. I'll have to branch out and discover new foods on my trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

CaliforniaLady, re: discovering new foods, are you planning to take the "foodie" walking tour in Madura? See Sartoric's trip report in which she described two enjoyable walking tours in that city.I recall one was the early morning walking tour, the other a tour with unusual and delicious eating stops. Both are on my "list" for whenever I get there. You're beating me to it and I'm already jealous !
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 06:39 PM

Yes, CaliNurse, Tim from Indian Panorama insisted that I take two tours in Madurai. I tried to opt out of the street food tour, fearing stomach problems, but he persuaded me to stay in the game. I did indeed see Sartoric's excellent trip report.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 02:48 AM

Interesting article there. What a shame that people can't appreciate the "real deal" as it were. My Indian grocer here in Oz tells me that she started a restaurant here many years ago. The customers all wanted the stock standard and dumbed down dishes they were used to, so she closed it.

I've been cooking up an Indian food storm since our trip, I can't remember the last western meal we've had. Our climate here is sub tropical so it's easy to grow a curry tree, several varieties of chillies, limes, fenugreek and many other herbs. My friendly Indian grocer carries anything else I might need, and is good for hints, tips and recipes.

CL, thanks for you compliments on my report. We took shelf stable probiotics, one every morning and had no GI issues. So jealous of your impending trip, I'll be quizzing you about Sri Lanka soon. If Karktik leads your street food tour, say hi from Mark & Caroline
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 08:37 PM

Sartoric - Always great to hear from you. Will say "hi" to Karktik for you. Fodor's will be having private messaging soon, so I can share my Sri Lanka driver with you then. I'm reluctant to give his name now publicly, since I have not traveled with him yet, although he comes highly recommended by a Flyertalk regular.