from LOS ANGELES to THAILAND to VIETNAM

Aug 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

from LOS ANGELES to THAILAND to VIETNAM

Hello all !

I'm planning a trip for January. From Los Angeles to Thailand (for a few days)then to Vietnam for about 1.5 weeks.

I want to buy a tour package for both destinations. Mainly beach areas for Thailand..and Nha Trang for Vietnam?

Please help !!

Thanks!!
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I'm confused. You are flying from LA to Thailand and VN and you only want to go to the beaches. And you think you need a tour package to do this?

First, if all you want is beach, there is no reason to fly that far. Consider the California and Hawaiian beaches.

If you are interested in the cultures of Thailand and VN, by all means go there, but don't spend all of your time on the beach.

If you are interested in experiencing a bit of Thailand and VN, we can certainly help you figure out an itinerary. Thailand especially has excellent tourist infrastructure and is very easy travel. You really don't need a tour. Do it yourself and you'll get exactly what you want.
Aug 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

a friend of mine mentioned the beaches in thailand (thats the only reason i mentioned it) but yes, i do want to explore as much as i can.

my 1st concern is thailand. i want to stay somewhere central/city-life. is it also far from the beaches? elephant riding is a must.

any other suggestions? shows, restaurants, hotels etc..

there will be about 4 of us..all mid 20's.
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM

First get a guide book and decide what your interests are in more detail. Then let us know your price range.

And, I can't even imagine doing what I think you want to do in a week and a half. I'm from L.A. area and fly to Bangkok usually twice a year and what you want to do sounds exhausting to me. You'll be spending most of the time in planes and airports.

On one trip to BK a year, I usually spend 8 days and on the other trip 3 weeks and I've been going for at least a decade and almost annually and still find plenty to do.

If you haven't been to Asia before, then you have to realize that it isn't Europe and shouldn't be done on a "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" type of plan. It takes TIME to do things and absorb Asia and is incredibly interesting. If I were you, I'd add more time to Thailand.

And if you're planning for January, you'd better get to planning. I bought my plane ticket in Feb 2008 for my upcoming Dec 2008/Jan 2009 Bangkok trip.

Some airlines that I checked out, out of curiosity a few weeks ago, are already sold out for blocks of weeks around then. And the airfares are outrageous. I bought early before the hikes due to the fuel situation.

And you don't need a package tour. You can buy local tours when you get to Thailand...much cheaper. Happy Travels!

Aug 27th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Given what is important to you, spend your short time in Asia all in Thailand. You don't have enough time to go to VN. If you have at least 12 full days on the ground in Asia, you could visit Bangkok, A place in the north (for your elephants) and a beach. Given how litle time you have, you'll probrbly want to fly from place to place. It's also possible to take the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, but you'll want to minimize overland travel.

Do get yourself a guidebook and do some reading. You might also find it useful to read some of the trip reports here on the board to give you more of a sense of what people do/see/experience in Thailand.
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Agreed--Vietnam and Thailand should be separate trips. Unless you had weeks to travel.