Friendly Planet: Best of Vietnam Cambodia Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, wondering if anyone has experienced the Friendly Planet Best of Vietnam Cambodia (with Sapa Extension) Tour? I've seen in past forums a couple members had mentioned they'd booked but not left yet. Please tell me about your experience. Thank You!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Do you want a group tour? Cambodia and VN are very easy to do on your own.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM

My wife and I took this trip in late March-early April, 2012. She had wanted to see Angkor Wat since she was a child, and loved the trip. Although I had been less interested in going initially, the trip far exceeded any expectations I might have had. The trip was excellently constructed: the hotels were 5 star, the food was excellent; the guides were very experienced and attentive, as well as pleasant. We kept moving, but without feeling rushed, and felt we really saw and got a good feeling for both countries. Cambodia is still recovering from the PolPot regime but VietNam is definitely an emerging economic power. The people were very friendly in both countries, and I never felt any residual bitterness about the Vietnam war.

In sum, it was a great trip, well organized and thought out. My wife and I (experienced travelers, ages 63 and 65)would highly recommend it.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Kathie: Yes, I'd like to do a group tour for this trip. I've backpacked/traveled a quite a bit. Would consider myself a somewhat experienced traveler, but for this trip I'd like to let someone else take care of the details. Also, for the short amount of time I have available I think a group tour will ensure I'll see the "must sees" of the countries. This will be my first group tour so either way it's an adventure from the start for me.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Charles_Freyer: Thank you for your feedback. The trip sounds wonderful. I'm thrilled to hear it exceeded your expectations, as my husband feels similar as you did pre-trip. I'm with your wife, I've been wanting to see Angkor Wat and Sapa for some time now. The construction of the trip sounds great. Exactly what I'm looking for this vacation, all the details taken care of, all we want to do is soak up the scenery, culture and history. Also, good to know the timeline and constant moving was at a good pace.

Did you and your wife also attend the Sapa Extension? What size was your group? Any other travel information about that region of the world you'd like to share? This will be our first trip to Asia and first group tour. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 05:43 AM

How long do they give you at Angkor?
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM

http://www.friendlyplanet.com/best-o...odia.html#tab2

One full day in Siem Reap flanked by two days that involve travel is just enough time for a taste - but if seeing the temples of Angkor is a lifelong dream and your interest is great, that short of a visit may be frustrating.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM

So true, Kim. That is the problem with most tours. If you have only a marginal interest in the temples, one day may be fine. But if seeing Angkor is a life long dream, you may well want a week.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM

Regarding the Friendly Planet trip how much time is spent on a bus. Many of the other tours fly between all the locations which is why they are more expensive
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that whole trip sounds really rushed. Looks like you get just a day and a half for the temples, as the day you leave Siem Reap you visit the lake, not the temples. Plus there's no time to recover from jet lag on the front end. I can't imagine visiting the Royal Palace AND Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh the day I arrived in Asia!

My first visit to Siem Reap (on an Intrepid tour) I had two and a half days, and that was too short. I had to go back (on my own) for more.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 06:24 PM
fb

We did this trip with FP in November 2011. We thoroughly enjoyed it and felt that there was plenty of time at each location - but that will depend on how much interest you have in any particular place. I agree with Charles Freyer above regarding the quality of the hotels, food, and guides. We did not spend all that much time on a bus and did fly between most locations. My only complaint was, as noted by thursdaysd, was the first day - arriving in Phnom Penh at 7 AM after flying for what seemed like 100 hours and immediately starting the tour (too early to check into the hotel!), was exhausting. After that first day though, I personally did not feel rushed, but I was looking for more of an overview of Cambodia and Vietnam rather than a lot of detailed touring. Plus, most people do not have unlimited vacation time so have to make the choice between spending a lot of time in a few places versus less time but more places. A personal decision.