Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Friend only has time to visit one Asian city- which one? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/friend-only-has-time-to-visit-one-asian-city-which-one-488791/)

travdis Dec 2nd, 2004 04:42 AM

Friend only has time to visit one Asian city- which one?

A friend wants to visit Asia but will only have a week so wants to visit one City only.

What City in Asia is the absolutely best one for an American tourist to visit? I know everyone has an opinion based on their own bias-- but I am very interested in hearing from travelers.

I vote for Hong Kong. It has the beauty of the bay, mountains, lots of greenery, english signs, but still exotic, interesting boat trips to the outer islands and Macau. Also easy access to southern China. The view from Victoria Peak and the ferry at night is breathless.

What is your opinion and why?

Craig Dec 2nd, 2004 05:03 AM

So is it a friend that is going to Asia, travdis or is it you? In your last post about travelling in Business Class you said you were thinking of going yourself. In any case, I will bite and post a response with my top three:

1. Hong Kong - only because you can get a direct flight there from the USA - less flying time for a one week vacation. My first trip to Asia was Hong Kong for 1 week.

2. Bangkok

3. Bali (not a city but hey, its my list)

Guenmai Dec 2nd, 2004 06:39 AM

Bangkok...hands down! Happy Travels!

glorialf Dec 2nd, 2004 08:17 AM

No question -- bangkok is #1.

Walter_Walltotti Dec 2nd, 2004 10:46 AM

If value for money is important - Bangkok.

If it's a little less important - Hong Kong.

Depends also when you intend to travel and how important temperature and weather is.

BillT Dec 2nd, 2004 11:44 AM

I think we need a little mote info about this person's likes.
1) Is this their first time to Asia
2) Do they want to shop/shop/shop or are they more interested in culture/museums/history.
3) What kind of food do they like?
4) What size is their wallet- backpacker or 5 star type?

Craig Dec 2nd, 2004 12:34 PM

Bill, I'm thinking you are asking a bit much of this particular poster whose previous posts include: "Warning to travelers: Cicadas have killed millions of trees in Mid Atlantic States!" and "Should Large Dogs be Allowed in Hotels?" Chances are she just posts to see how people react.

travdis Dec 2nd, 2004 05:00 PM

My questions are sincere. Dogs in hotels in an issue!

Money is not an issue for my friend traveling to asia. Being interested and active is!

orgy7 Dec 2nd, 2004 08:31 PM

china town in san fransisco.. many Americans don't know where any city in the USA is let alone asia.

if ya want American style MANILA philipines is your best choice...

Craig... you've been in CT for too long your becoming too much of a skeptic like most of us nutmegers. yep I read the post and I too was questioning what the heck was going on..

BillT Dec 3rd, 2004 04:01 AM

Travdis- you will get out what you put in. If you answer the questions - responses will be more meaningful. The people on thnbis forum are very experienced travelers-you need to provide more insight.