Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Friday to Mumbai - couple questions please

Jul 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Hello, This Friday I am going to Mumbai for business for two plus weeks. I know July is not the best time for Mumbai due to heat and rain, but work is work, you know. As this is my first trip there, I have a couple of questions that I thought I might put out to the Fordor-ians.

1. I hear it is hot, so that being said: how rainy might the next rest of July be? When it rains do you even attempt to stay dry (i.e. rain coat, umbrella) or just get wet and roll with it?

2. My wife will be joining me for a week at the beginning of my trip and I think I should rent her a car & driver, any ideas on where to get a reliable driver/car? I see a range of rates on this forum from 1000rs to 1500rs per day, does that still hold up?

3. Has anyone had a US Cingular/ATT Blackberry 7280 work over there? Or know if can you rent local cell phones on the ground?

4. Dress: I know it will be quite hot. In theory, if I were home in NYC, there would be periods where usually I would usually wear some cargo shorts and a short sleeved polo shirt. Is this fraught with peril re: mosquito bites? Apologies if this is an ignorant question.

5. Any suggestions for a "not-to-miss" meals in Mumbai?

Thank you in advance. I am really looking forward to going! Doug
Jul 5th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Hope you have a great time! Look forward to your report when you get back. We do not go until naxt Jan 2006. Friends from India tell us that it is very safe and to get reliable drivers from your hotel.
hope you get some replies...but India is not the most used thread here.
Jul 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Hi Doug

You will be really impressed with Mumbai. I was there for a few days for work in May and enjoyed it.

The rates you have seen for cars are about right. When you hire a car make sure it has aircon. Coolcabs were good.
+ 91 22 2490 5151.

I did not see anyone except for kids wearing shorts, but in saying that I would not worry unless you want to look at any temples, churches, mosques or whatever. It is warm yes, 35 degrees and humid when I was there. But I survived in cooton trousers and shirt. PLenty of places have aircon if you need relief.

Don't be tempted to go for a swim in the sea. Not clean. The locals implored us not to even put a toe in. shame really as they have a nice city beach at Chowpati.

Our hosts also encouraged us to take anti malarials as well. Mumbai is in a malarial zone. Shorts or no shorts I would recommend you take precautions.

Also usual advice, be careful with the water and food. I thought I had come away unscathed but found out subsequently I had picked up a little gift from my visit. Not too serious fortunately.

Mumbai has to be one of the most vibrant places I have ever been. People everywhere and sights to see. It was great.

Enjoy

Steve
Jul 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Hi! Doug,
I have lived all my life in Mumbai and will be more than glad to help you out. However, I’m only 26 and my suggestions might be a bit biased… Suggestions to your answers are as under.
1. I hear it is hot, so that being said: how rainy might the next rest of July be? When it rains do you even attempt to stay dry (i.e. rain coat, umbrella) or just get wet and roll with it? Mumbai did see a lot of rains in the last fifteen days. But fortunately its not raining now. You never know when it starts again. It can either be a downpour where umbrellas might not work or sometimes a raincoat will also do. So plan each day as it comes. Due to rains, the roads can get very dirty and lots of traffic…Depends where all you plan to visit and what do you like…

2. My wife will be joining me for a week at the beginning of my trip and I think I should rent her a car & driver, any ideas on where to get a reliable driver/car? I see a range of rates on this forum from 1000rs to 1500rs per day, does that still hold up? Yeah.. You should get a car in Rs. 1000-1500. I think for your first trip to Mumbai, a car hire would be good. You need not then worry about the roads and local transport. Once you get used to the roads, maybe then you can just hire a cab.

3. Has anyone had a US Cingular/ATT Blackberry 7280 work over there? Or know if can you rent local cell phones on the ground? ATT Blackberry does work here. Don’t know the logistics though…You can buy prepaid phone cards but not cell phones. Currently Blackberry only works on the Airtel Network. Once you arrive hop into one of their service centres and they might be able to help you. Their website is

4. Dress: I know it will be quite hot. In theory, if I were home in NYC, there would be periods where usually I would usually wear some cargo shorts and a short sleeved polo shirt. Is this fraught with peril re: mosquito bites? Apologies if this is an ignorant question. Well, you will see youngsters in cargo pants and stuff but I would suggest ladies to avoid wearing shorts. While it might not be a problem, but it would unnecessary attract attention while on the roads.

5. Any suggestions for a "not-to-miss" meals in Mumbai? – Well, I’m not sure what tourists count as a mot-to-miss meal… Would it be mainly Indian food or even a hip joint is fine…If you can give me a list you have, I can help you with that. I have seen a lot of tourists visiting the Khyber for Indian food. Where are you put up? Accordingly I can suggest places around that area.

Let me know if you have any other queries.. Hope this helps.
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:50 AM

It will rain. Bring good, sturdy umbrellas - Mumbai rain, like HK rain, is downpurs and the small folding brollies just give way. Bring rain proof shoes or stuff you can chuck away at the end of the trip. Having said that Mumbai is an amazing city and life continues in the rain - offices are open, people commute and reach there etc.

The rates you have are probably a bit low. I think you should budget 1500-2000. An a/c cool cab for 8 hours charges approx 800-1000. Hertz has a Mumbai office, look up their website. You can book your car thru them.

It is not easy to rent instruments but very easy to buy prepaid local phone cards. Suggest you carry your own instrument. Alternatively, any 5 star hotel will provide you with a phone - instrument plus card - if you advise them of your requirement in advance. Maybe a bit exp but hassle free.

Shorts are actually a decent thing to wear in the rain as your legs and not your clothes will get splattered with dirty water!!

Please advise where you are staying and working for restaurant recos. Mumbai is a big city and the commute from the suburbs to the city can take upwards of an hour so best to stay in one locality in the rain to the extent possible.